[tor-project] Anti-censorship team monthly report: February 2020

Philipp Winter phw at torproject.org
Fri Mar 13 00:17:41 UTC 2020

Hi friends,

Here's what the anti-censorship team has accomplished in February 2020:

Snowflake
=========

* Did a trial deployment of Tor Browser with Snowflake and Turbo Tunnel.
  This branch of development enables Snowflake to work for a long time,
  by migrating across temporary proxies.
  <https://bugs.torproject.org/33336>
  <https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2020-February/045499.html>
  One known major usability bug remains:
  <https://bugs.torproject.org/33519>

* Update webextension and webpage with new translations.

* Debugged some pion library performance issues.
  <https://bugs.torproject.org/33211>

* Worked on a throughput check for Snowflake proxies.
  <https://bugs.torproject.org/32938>

GetTor
======

* Fixed broken localisation for some locales.
  <https://bugs.torproject.org/33002>

* Fixed the email rate-limiter and delete old requests.
  <https://bugs.torproject.org/33123>

* Added database tests for GetTor and fixed the database handling code.
  <https://bugs.torproject.org/33191>

* Worked on fix to ignore quoted help text in GetTor emails.
  <https://bugs.torproject.org/33343>

BridgeDB
========

* We finally finished porting BridgeDB to Python 3.

* Did another analysis round to better understand how our new CAPTCHAs
  affected users: <https://bugs.torproject.org/24607#comment:17>

* Updated BridgeDB's documentation.
  <https://bugs.torproject.org/31427>

* Made some progress towards an easier-to-understand email response.
  <https://bugs.torproject.org/30941>

* Retired obfs3, ScrambleSuit, and FTE from BridgeDB.
  <https://bugs.torproject.org/33299>

* Refactored a Python script that will help us test BridgeDB's email
  distributor using Nagios.
  <https://bugs.torproject.org/12802>

Miscellaneous
=============

* Created a preliminary process for the distribution of private bridges
  to NGOs.
  <https://bugs.torproject.org/31872>

* Fixed a synchronisation issue in bridgestrap and wrote unit tests for
  it.

* Made some progress towards building docker images for architectures
  other than amd64.
  <https://bugs.torproject.org/33088>

* Started using Debian "slim" to reduce the size of our obfs4 docker
  image.  The size went from approximately 120 MB to 70 MB.
  <https://bugs.torproject.org/32860>

* Created a pull request that adds our latest default bridges to OONI.
  <https://github.com/ooni/sysadmin/pull/424>
  <https://github.com/ooni/spec/pull/177>

Outreach
========

* Wrote a blog post introducing BridgeDB version 0.9.3.
  <https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-bridgedb-093>

* Wrapped up our bridge campaign retrospective.
  <https://bugs.torproject.org/33007>