[tor-project] February 2020 report for the Network Health team

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Tue Mar 3 08:48:49 UTC 2020

Hello!

Highlights in February from the network health side were:

1) We finished our roadmap. For finding out what we have in our pipeline
for the coming weeks have a look at our team site[1] or our bug
tracker:[2] the keyword to look for/keep in mind is
`network-health-roadmap-2020Q1`.

2) Together with the network team we tried to get traction (again) to
complete the remaining pieces for our new bandwidth scanner, sbws, so it
can finally get deployed on all of our bandwidth authorities.

3) As usual somewhat unexpected items show up. This time we got busy
with starting to contact relay operators running obsolete Tor versions,
0.2.9.x and 0.4.0.x, which we plan to reject from the network soon.[3]

For March we have planned to make substantial progress on sbws and
finish the preparations for rejecting relays running 0.2.9.x and 0.4.0.x
from the network (there are probably bridges running those Tor versions,
too, which we should try to get to upgrade before we pull the switch).

Additionally, I plan to pick up work to get an overview of DNS failures
at exit relays and act upon that[4][5], and I want to look closer at
issues of our bad relay scanners and fix them[6].

Georg

[1]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkHealthTeam
[2]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~network-health-roadmap-2020Q1&order=status
[3] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/32672
[4] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/32864
[5] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/33179
[6] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/33180