[tor-project] Discourse? (was: Disabling Comments on Most Blog Postings (was: Re: Have "anything goes" blog post?))

gus gus at torproject.org
Wed Jun 24 14:39:42 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 11:17:03AM +0530, Kushal Das wrote:
> On 24/06/20, George Kadianakis wrote:
> > The [tor-relays] mailing list might have been a cool support forum 15
> > years ago but I think nowdays people would prefer a more modern
> > interface to getting support and love. Staying frozen in old-sk00l
> > mediums like IRC and mailing lists severely limits the parts of our
> > community who is not used to such ancient technology (and that part will
> > only keep growing as time move forwards as it usually does).
> >
> Discourse will be a great add as the support platform, but we should
> make sure to keep the mailing lists alive for the real disucssion. As
> many of the Python folks already found the similar issue in the
> discuss.python.org. While it has a much newer interface, but may not be
> that great of an interface while tracking any large discussion.
>
> Also, is there any plan to move to Mailman3 for our mailing lists? It
> has a much nicer web interface and other useful updates.
>
> Kushal
> --
> Public Interest Technologist, Freedom of the Press Foundation
> CPython Core Developer
> Director, Python Software Foundation
> https://kushaldas.in

As a comment platform to replace our Drupal comments system, Discourse
looks great. I'm also looking forward to use this forum to follow up
with partners in our digital security trainings.

But, as a replacement to all our support platforms I don't think
Discourse is enough. One thing is a helpdesk tool, where we use
templates, assign tickets to other person, have a review process, have
automatic actions to reply users, and the other is a forum platform.

There are many cases that users need to contact us by email, for
example, when torproject.org domain and subdomains are blocked and they
need to configure their bridges, or bridges are offline, or how to fix
their Tor Browser.

We have other cases for RT that is also used for Donations, Press
requests. I'd like to understand how these RT queues would fit inside
the Discourse proposal.

best,
Gus
--