[tor-project] Discourse? (was: Disabling Comments on Most Blog Postings (was: Re: Have "anything goes" blog post?))

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Tue Jun 23 23:52:39 UTC 2020

Antoine Beaupré <anarcat at torproject.org> writes:

> On 2020-06-22 20:46:23, Matthew Finkel wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 10:45:33AM -0700, Philipp Winter wrote:
>>> We have many comments on our blog that are unrelated to the respective
>>> blog post but still bring up reasonable topics.  To make it easier for
>>> our users to be heard, why not have an "anything goes" blog post once a
>>> month?  A user suggested this idea over here:
>>> <https://blog.torproject.org/comment/288185#comment-288185>
>>>
>>> The idea is for users to comment on any topic as long as it's not in
>>> violation of our blog comment policy (minus the "on topic" requirement):
>>> <https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/community/blog-comment-policy>
>>> Hopefully, this will give our users an opportunity to talk about
>>> problems they have, ask us questions, and request features.
>>
> <snip>
>
> I would like to bring back the idea of using Discourse as a replacement
> for all our support channels (RT, blog comments, and other
> feedback/support systems). It has a nice system to promote community
> members as moderators while still giving us the ability to have the
> final call on content (as administrators).

Hello. I would like to +9000 this suggestion by anarcat. I think
supporting discourse is a pretty fantastic improvement over our current
support channels. I don't know what should happen to our current support
channels if we get discourse, but I know I would like Tor discourse to
exist and I would be happy to participate in such an experiment.

The [tor-relays] mailing list might have been a cool support forum 15
years ago but I think nowdays people would prefer a more modern
interface to getting support and love. Staying frozen in old-sk00l
mediums like IRC and mailing lists severely limits the parts of our
community who is not used to such ancient technology (and that part will
only keep growing as time move forwards as it usually does).

Cheers! :)