[tor-project] February - May 2020 User Feedback Report (Nicolei Ocana)

Nicolei Ocaña nicoleiocana at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 19:06:24 UTC 2020

Georg
> Is that essentially Windows-only?

No, there were some tickets where users attached screenshots of their
prompts - Windows,
Mac, and Linux user interface windows.

> For the Windows ones, do we know how many of those issues are due to
#10416
> (https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/tor/-/issues/10416)?

>From the screenshots that users shared, none alluded to this issue.

> What do you mean by "blocking larger media elements by default" There is
no logic in Tor
> Browser that is blocking media elements depending on their size.
Additionally, Tor Browser
> should not block anything by default in its standard security mode.

I misspoke. I was incorrect in my statement; I should have wrote "NoScript
blocks media on
security levels Safer and Safest."

You are absolutely right on both fronts. Thanks for clarifying these
aspects: Tor Browser does
not block any media by default; NoScript allows for media in the Standard
security level.

> So, what is happening in those cases? Do you have an example of a report
by chance?

So, I'll admit, I was mistaken. To make a long story short - one user took
a screenshot of
NoScript blocking out its media yet I neglected to pay attention that the
user had the Safer
security level set. I presumed this occurred by default.

After clearing up the confusion, those cases contained Flash-based XSS
attempting to show a
movie. Below is the example:

>> Hi

>> Tried to watch this on Tor:

>> https://www.brighteon.com/be689f32-5526-4601-a627-48dc4f896cf9

>> And several other videos. but they come up with a red circle with  a
monster with teeth in
>> the middle. An even when I choose one of the responses it still won’t
play

And another thing is that many Tor users are now having issues to watch
YouTube:

"Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network.
Please try your
request again later. Why did this happen?

This page appears when Google automatically detects requests coming from
your computer
network which appear to be in violation of the Terms of Service. The block
will expire shortly
after those requests stop.
..."