[tor-project] February - May 2020 User Feedback Report

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Mon Jun 22 08:45:50 UTC 2020

Nicolei Ocaña:
> Hiya
>
> Welcome to the User Feedback Report for the months of February to May 2020.
> Hopefully, everyone is staying safe and socially distant/healthy :)
>
> tl;dr:
>
> Questions with minimal to no information (other than "Tor Browser won't
> open," "Tor unexpectedly exited. This might be due to a bug in Tor itself,
> another program on your system, or faulty hardware. Until you fix the
> underlying problem and restart Tor, Tor Browser will not start,"

Is that essentially Windows-only? For the Windows ones, do we know how
many of those issues are due to #10416
(https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/tor/-/issues/10416)?

[snip]

> b) Browsing: Users remarked not being able to watch YouTube videos on
> YouTube.com. Users are unaware that NoScript blocks larger media elements
> by default. For users connecting on Tor Exit nodes blocked by
> YouTube/Google, we recommended to use <https://invidio.us/> as a workaround.

What do you mean by "blocking larger media elements by default" There is
no logic in Tor Browser that is blocking media elements depending on
their size. Additionally, Tor Browser should not block anything by
default in its standard security mode. So, what is happening in those
cases? Do you have an example of a report by chance?

[snip]

Georg