[tor-project] Have "anything goes" blog post?

Matthew Finkel sysrqb at torproject.org
Wed Jun 17 21:48:36 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 03:23:11PM -0300, Antonela Debiasi wrote:
> Hi Philipp,
>
> Thanks for proposing this!
>
> I'm afraid relying on Drupal comments is not smart here:
>     - moderation is sad
>     - the interface does not have a useful UI for track replies
>     - people behind the second page get lost under the pagination
>     - and more :/
>
> My first fear is that this will land in a bottleneck for you or any
> other who is handling comments (like it always happens when we write a
> blogpost) becoming a full-time support job.
>
> What I'm thinking now is, what is your idea about the immediate next
> action after you read that feature request or issues? Are you planning
> to open tickets in Gitlab manually? Are we willing to use upvotes to
> prioritize itemson our roadmaps? Should we encourage users to open
> tickets? Should we share a RT account with more people to learn more
> about which daily issues users are facing?

Sadly, this is the status quo. With Tor Browser, we open a ticket when
someone reports a bug or they request a new feature - as a result, Tor
Browser has many, many open tickets. I did this yesterday (as an
example):

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/40007
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/40008

Regarding how we prioritize these issues/requests - that is a very good
question.

> I still remember the idea of having a forum for this community, which is
> something we can always discuss.

We receive requests for this in blog comments frequently, too. I'm not
sure we are in a good situation, right now, to moderate a forum for Tor
users, though. Maybe, instead, Gitlab can provide some missing/needed
support functionality.