[tor-project] Network meeting notes, 8th June 2020

Gaba gaba at torproject.org
Mon Jun 8 17:41:59 UTC 2020


Network meetings are still happening every Monday at 1700UTC on
#tor-meeting in irc.oftc.net

We had a meeting on June 8th and here are the logs and notes.


Contents of the pad:

== Network meeting pad! ==

Next meeting is at Monday 15 June 1700 UTC on #tor-meeting on OFTC.

June Schedule:
    * Monday 8  June 17:00 UTC
    * Monday 15 June 17:00 UTC

Welcome to our meeting!
We meet each month at: Mondays at 1700 UTC
On #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.) (See
for background.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to
tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.
After that is done, the pad can be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
(Search the tor-project mailing list archive for older notes.)
23 March:
 1 April - 4 May: we skipped meetings while transitioning TPI
 1  June:

== Stuff to do every week ==

    Let's check and update our roadmap:

    What's done, and what's coming up? Any change?

    All the trac tickets for the roadmap are in the team's page:

    S28 & S30 - Continue after October - Ahf

    S55 - Nickm

    Non sponsor stuff

    DoS defenses = Dgoulet + Asn

    Library Size reduction = Ahf + Dgoulet

    sbws = Ahf + Juga

    Check reviewer assignments! How reviews from last week worked? Any
blocker? Here are the outstanding reviews, oldest first, including sbws:

    Go over our 0.4.4 status page at
. (If maint-0.4.4 were released as stable tomorrow, what would we
regret?) - scheduled to enter feature freeze on Monday June 15th

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing work
for the next releases.

* Check other's people call for help in their entries.

    Volunteers need help. Please help them when you are around. Maybe we
should have times of day when different people are responders, and
expectations of who helps.

---- 8 June 2020

== Announcements [please date] ==

== Discussion [please date] ==

    (june 8th) IPv6 next project? -

    to do or not to do


 * Trac->gitlab migration questions:
     * Need to send out announcement email asap
     * repo structure?

=== Active Proposed Policies ===

* Pull Request Guidelines (stalled)

=== Design proposals under discussion ===

315: require more fields in directory documents (still waiting [6/1])
316: flashflow (asn and nickm are reviewing, should schedule discussion
with pastly. [5/18])
317: dns (under discussion on ML [5/18])
318: limit protovers (waiting for more commment; needs discussion [6/1])
319: wide everything (nick replied on ml; waiting for more discussion [6/1])
320: tap out again
    - Do we have a consensus to replace this with a "deprecate v2 onion
services" proposal? If so, who writes it? [6/1]
protover rethinking (teor's email to tor-dev) (nick needs to reply [5/18])
321: happy families (need feedback [6/1])
322: dirport linkspec (need feedback [6/1])

== Recommended links ==

== Updates ==

    Week of XYZ (planned):
        - What you planned for last week.
    Week of XYZ (actual):
        - What you did last week.
    Week of ABC (planned):
        - What you're planning to do this week.
    Help with:

         - Something you may need help with.


Leave the "Planned" parts!
Leave the parts for last week and this week!

    Week of 1 Jun (planned):
        - Send out walking onions proposal once copy-edit is done.
        - Ramp on on S55.
        - Catch up on all emails
        - Catch up with all review/merge
        - Finish triage!
        - look at jenkins status
        - can I fix coverity? if not, open a ticket.
        - opine on gitlab/trac stuff
        - advance proposal discussions
        - summarize code-format status, ask for team decision.
    Week of 1 Jun (actual):
        - Sent out walking onions proposal
        - Got to inbox-6
        - Review and merge
        - Discussed triage; went through possible triage remaining on 0.4.4
        - tried to advance proposal discussions and summarize
code-format status. got team consensus.
        - Read through all pending S55 code
        - Discussed a couple of proposals
    Week of 8 Jun (planned):
        - Prepare for 0.4.4 freeze
        - Merge pending S55 code, and increase my command of the
remaining work on O1.1
        - Talk with Metrics about S55 stuff?
        - S69 wrap-up email
        - Tor-unspecified triage: wow do we need it
        - Code-formatting hacking.

ahf (afk today due to public holiday):
    Week of 25/05 planned:
        - Look into how we can start + connect to the Tor process in Fenix.
        - Onion-Location docs.
        - Get merging to tor.git.
    Week of 25/5 actually:
        - Fenix and OrbotService integration.
        - Onion-Location docs with Anto.
    Week of 1/6 planned:
        - Gitlab session at all hands.
        - Continued Fenix work.
    Week of 1/6 actually:
        - Continued Fenix work:

    Trying to figure out a build-issue with Fenix/Kotlin and Tor's
Android service.

    Week of 8/6 planned:
        - Work with the Admin team on Gitlab migration.
        - As much other things as I can squeze in while waiting for
different batch tasks to complete. Focus on Fenix still.

  [Public holiday here today. Probs offline.]
  Week of 25/05 (actual):
  - Big backlog
  - Reviews & merges.
  - More reviews of proposal310 (guards)
  - 044 bugfixes: Started testing some fixes on #32040.
  - Start catching up on PoW thread.
  Week of 01/06 (planned):
  - Reply on all the recent responses on PoW thread -- lots of work done
  - Publish fix for #32040.
  - Merge prop#310 patch.

    Week of May 4 (actual):
        - Some LD_PRELOAD behavior investigation to guide
        shadow-Phantom design decisions
        - Added more tests covering next-to-be-implemented shadow-Phantom
        - Mentored/reviewed a volunteer PR
        - Kickoff OnionPerf meeting
    Week of May 11 (planned):
        - Start digging into OnionPerf
        - Start familiarizing myself with Shadow *usage* for Tor simulations
        - tor-project@ Shadow update email
    Week of May 11 (actual):
        - Worked on improving Shadow logging framework
        - Helped volunteer get their PR to improve tests into
        mergeable shape and merged
        - Started poking at OnionPerf
    Week of May 18 (planned):
        - tor-project@ shadow update email
        - finish logging improvement PR
        - More digging into OnionPerf. #33974: update to tgen 1.0 \o/
    Week of June 1 (actual):
        - Added GH milestones and issues in shadow/shadow
        - Sent out Tor Project update
        - Added more thread/interposition APIs in shadow/phantom to support
        more syscalls.
        - Did some straceing to identify more syscalls we need for tor
    Week of June 8 (planned):
        - Hand off OnionPerf work for now (#33974: update to tgen 1.0)
        - Identify more syscalls needed to simulate Tor.
        (use nm/objdump; chutney; src/lib/sandbox)
        - Figure out (how to avoid implementing) netlink
        - Check whether we already can interpose Tor's name lookups (via

    Week of 18 May (planned):
        - Finish bones of external FlashFlow repo (python?) to control
tor clients
          that perform FF measurements
        - Finish bones of little-t tor changes s.t. measurement can be
        - Discuss FlashFlow with network team devs as they have questions

    Week of May 25 (planned):
        - close up work on #33609
        - get started on other s55 tickets, potentially knock out 'easy'
ones first and take it from there
        - update https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/gsoc
with my information
    Week of May 25 (actual):
        - #33609 ready for review
        - started hunting down and working on other Sponsor55-can and
-must issues
        - talking in #tor-project about wiki
    Week of June 1 (actual):
        - opened and made #34381 ready for review
        - IPv4 part of #32888
    Week of June 8 (planned):
        - #33598
        - IPv6 part of #32888 <-- do you have a ticket for it?

she/her are my pronouns
GPG Fingerprint EE3F DF5C AD91 643C 21BE  8370 180D B06C 59CA BD19

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 488 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
URL: <http://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/attachments/20200608/dbb4af2e/attachment.sig>

More information about the tor-project mailing list