[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 04 Jun 2020

Philipp Winter phw at torproject.org
Thu Jun 4 17:51:56 UTC 2020

Hi all,

Here are our meeting minutes:


And here is our meeting pad:

Anti-censorship work meeting pad

Next meeting: Thursday June 4th 16:00 UTC

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 16:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress).

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.

== Links to Useful documents ==

    * Our anti-censorship roadmap:
        * Our roadmap consists of a subset of trac tickets on keyword #anti-censorship-roadmap-2020
    * The anti-censorship team's wiki page: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/AntiCensorshipTeam
    * Past meeting notes can be found at: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/
    * GetTor's roadmap: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/-/boards
    * Tickets that need reviews:  from sponsors we are working on:
        * https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/Sponsor30
        * https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/Sponsor28
    * Anti-censorship related tickets that we want other teams to fix:
        * https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-anti-censorship-tickets-keep

== Announcements ==

    * Will be migrating from Trac to Gitlab soon: gitlab.torproject.org
        * You cannot (yet?) create an account on your own but we'll have one created for everyone.

== Discussion ==

    * Generalising wolpertinger as a potential BridgeDB successor?
        * Distributors (HTTPS, Email, Moat, Salmon, Wolpertinger)
        * Resources (Bridges, Tor Browser links, maybe even snowflake proxies?)
        * Matchmakers (connects distributors with resources)

== Actions ==


== Interesting links ==

    * GFW reportedly blocks Chrome TLS fingerprint
        * https://github.com/refraction-networking/utls/issues/45

== Reading group ==

    * We will discuss V2Ray and VMess on June 11
        * https://v2ray.com/en/
        * https://www.v2ray.com/en/configuration/protocols/vmess.html
        * https://github.com/v2ray/manual/blob/master/eng_en/protocols/vmess.md
        * Questions to ask and goals to have:
            * What aspects of the paper are questionable?
            * Are there immediate actions we can take based on this work?
            * Are there long-term actions we can take based on this work?
            * Is there future work that we want to call out, in hopes that others will pick it up?

== Updates ==

    This week:
        - What you worked on this week.
    Next week:
        - What you are planning to work on next week.
    Help with:
         - Something you need help with.

  This week (2020-06-05):
        * Reviewed #34286.
        * Filed #34322.
        * Closed #30152 because we're using monit now.
        * Wrote a patch for #19774 because that's what really matters!
        * Published BridgeDB release blog post and monthly team report post.
        * Messed around with autoresponder tests for both GetTor and BridgeDB because we still get the occasional false postive.
        * Tried to improve fix for #33835. Still needs some work.
        * Wrapped up first version of BridgeDB's internal metrics in #31422.
        * More polishing of wolpertinger.
            * Thought about generalising it to a potential BridgeDB successor, and how one would go about that.
  Next week:
  Help with:
        * #19774 (adds favicon to bridgedb)
        * #31422 (internal bridgedb metrics)

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2020-06-04
Last week:
    - tested snowflake on Android (#30318)
    - abandoned idea of doing NAT behaviour discovery at the proxy (#34129, #34358)
    - reviewed some snowflake-mobile code
    - discussed traffic replacement with researchers at galois
    - started looking at bridgedb email distributor to see how we can reuse some of it for GetTor
This week:
    - look at viatsk's work on NAT test suite (#25595)
    - look at BridgeDB's email responder code and see if there's an uninvasive way to integrate GetTor (#3780)
    - implement NAT behaviour discovery at client and use it match up proxies (#34129, #33666)
    - Follow up on discussions of debian obfs4proxy package
    - translations?
Needs help with:

juggy :
    This week:
        - Dig into the algorithm for how BridgeDB distributes bridges
    Next week:
        - Implement audio captchas in moat, figure out how to reduce audio captcha request size
        - Keep studying BridgeDB to write architectural overview
    Help with:

arlolra: 2020-05-07
    Last week:
        - webext repo versioning / publishing #34140, #34126, #34132, #34127
    Next week:
        - follow ups to #33365
        - start on #31201
    Help with:

dcf: 2020-06-04
    Last week:
    Next week:
        - check with Kyle about snowflake fingerprinting results
        - share access to the snowflake broker CDN configuration (#30510)
    Help with:

    Last week:
        -Finished work on #27984 and submitted patch
    Next week:
        -Look for and dig into a new ticket
    Help with:
        -Review of #27984

thymbahutymba: 2020-04-02
    Last week:
        - CI/CD pipeline for multiarch docker images, which has a problem
          with the apt tor version even though the apt repository have been
          changed into the Dockerfile.
    Next week:
    Help with:

HashikD: 2020-04-28
    Last week:
            - Established the WebRTC connection. (in Test project)
            - Fixed the issue with connectoin termination. (in Test project)
            - Sending some temporary data to test the connection. (in Test project)
            - Finished #34308 (closed) creating new project
            - Finished and commented on #34264, #34307 (merge_ready)
    Next week:
            - Getting my merge requests accepted and acting up on feedback of code.
    Help with:

More information about the tor-project mailing list