[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes,23 July 2020

Cecylia Bocovich cohosh at torproject.org
Thu Jul 23 20:14:15 UTC 2020

Here is the meeting log:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2020/tor-meeting.2020-07-23-15.58.html

And the meeting pad:

Anti-censorship work meeting pad
--------------------------------

Next meeting: Thursday July 23rd 16:00 UTC

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 16:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC
(channel is logged while meetings are in progress).

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.

== Links to Useful documents ==

    Our anti-censorship roadmap:

    Roadmap:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/anti-censorship/-/boards

    The anti-censorship team's wiki page:

    https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/team/-/wikis/home

    Past meeting notes can be found at:

    https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/

    Tickets that need reviews:  from sponsors we are working on:

    All needs review tickets:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/anti-censorship/-/merge_requests?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&assignee_id=None

    Sponsor 30

    https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/4

    https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/7

    https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/5

    https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/6

    Sponsor 28

    must-do tickets:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/10

    possible tickets:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&label_name%5b%5d=Sponsor%2028&milestone_title=None

    Anti-censorship related tickets that we want other teams to fix:

    https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-anti-censorship-tickets-keep <-- it
will be moved into gitlab with TPO labels

== Announcements ==

    The cost for Snowflake broker CDN service was non-zero, 0.01 USD,
for the first time last month.

    On track for 0.02 USD in July.

== Discussion ==

== Actions ==

== Interesting links ==

    Relevant papers from Privacy Enhancing Technologies Symposium 2020.
There's one on VPN usage, two on decoy routing, and one on rendezvous
using cryptocurrency.

    https://petsymposium.org/2020/program_UTC.php

    Emotional and Practical Considerations towards the Adoption and
Abandonment of VPNs as a Privacy-Enhancing Technology

    https://petsymposium.org/2020/files/papers/issue1/popets-2020-0006.pdf

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jksejehBQII

    Running Refraction Networking for Real

    https://petsymposium.org/2020/files/papers/issue4/popets-2020-0073.pdf

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDYKdy7lCRY

    SiegeBreaker: An SDN Based Practical Decoy Routing System

    https://petsymposium.org/2020/files/papers/issue3/popets-2020-0051.pdf

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7mHOKFtcYA

    MoneyMorph: Censorship Resistant Rendezvous using Permissionless
Cryptocurrencies

    https://petsymposium.org/2020/files/papers/issue3/popets-2020-0058.pdf

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnc2i64rXvI

== Reading group ==

    We will discuss "Emotional and Practical Considerations Towards the
Adoption and Abandonment of VPNs as a Privacy-Enhancing Technology" on
July 23rd

    https://petsymposium.org/2020/files/papers/issue1/popets-2020-0006.pdf

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jksejehBQII

    Questions to ask and goals to have:

    What aspects of the paper are questionable?

    Are there immediate actions we can take based on this work?

    Are there long-term actions we can take based on this work?

    Is there future work that we want to call out, in hopes that others
will pick it up?

== Updates ==

Name:
    This week:
        - What you worked on this week.
    Next week:
        - What you are planning to work on next week.
    Help with:

         - Something you need help with.

phw:
  This week (2020-07-23):

    Reviewed tpo/anti-censorship/bridgedb#27984.

    Reviewed tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake#40002.

    Spent a lot of time working on design of BridgeDB rewrite:

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/bridgedb/-/issues/32900#note_2694962

  Next week:

    Wrap up tpo/anti-censorship/wolpertinger#34259.

  Help with:

    Thoughts on tpo/anti-censorship/bridgedb#32900 greatly appreciated.

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2020-07-23
Last week:
    - sponsor 28 evaluation bullshit, mostly
    - added more stun servers to client (snowflake#30579)
    - reviewed snowflake-mobile tickets
    - talked with phw about bridgedb re-write
This week:
    - take a look at #25595
    - NAT discovery at proxies (snowflake-webext#13)
    - snowflake sponsor 28 evaluation (monday, tuesday)
    - update tor-browser-build#40016 with work on snowflake#30579
    - continue with GetTor + BridgeDB refactor
Needs help with:
    - review of snowflake#30579 (snowflake!7)

juggy :
    This week:
        - Got very basic "suggested readings" list up and running here :
https://jugheadjones10.github.io/anti-censorship-reading/
    Next week:
        - Keep studying BridgeDB to write architectural overview
    Help with:
        - Open issues here
(https://github.com/jugheadjones10/anti-censorship-reading) for
paper/resource/reading

arlolra: 2020-06-11

    Last week:

    -

    Next week:

    - follow ups to #33365

    - start on #31201

    Help with:

    -

dcf: 2020-07-23

    Last week:

    - updated markup in the Snowflake wiki page for gitlab

        -
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/wikis/home

    Next week:

    - find out what went wrong with trying to give cohosh CDN access
(snowflake#30510)

    - set up an etherpad for public bug reporting and link it from
https://snowflake.torproject.org/#bugs (snowflake#34435)

    Help with:

Antonela: 2020-07-23

    Last week:

    - (S28) Snowflake Android App UI

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake-mobile/-/issues/11

    - (S30) Making bridges.tpo looks like tpo.org

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/bridgedb/-/issues/34322

    - (S30) Planning activities for the user group in HK (happening next
week):

    - Run emma

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/-/blob/master/scripts%20and%20activities/2020/run-emma.md

    - Discovery issues with Bridges flow - working on the script

    https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/-/issues/4

    This week:

    - (S28) Review Snowflake Android App UI

    - (S30) Working on making bridges.tpo work with lektor

    - (S30) Sent Get Bridges User Research to the group in HK. Will meet
them on Friday. Final script:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/-/issues/4

agix:2020-07-02

    Last week:

    -Worked on #27984

    Next week:

    -Work on #34318

    Help with:

    -Review of #27984 (It's just a feedback implementation)

hanneloresx: 2020-07-23

    Last week:

    - Read existing documentation for BridgeDB.

    - Started investigating #32117

    Next week:

    - Work on #32117

    - Work on #33727

    Help with:

    -

thymbahutymba: 2020-04-02
    Last week:
        - CI/CD pipeline for multiarch docker images, which has a problem
          with the apt tor version even though the apt repository have been
          changed into the Dockerfile.
    Next week:
    Help with:

HashikD: 2020-07-16

    Last week:

    - Made designs for Snowflake mobile:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake-mobile/-/issues/11#note_2693845

    - #6 Showing users stat about how many clients they served in the
past 24

    Next week:

    - Work on ticket #11

    Help with: -