[tor-project] Tor Browser meeting notes, July 20th 2020

Gaba gaba at torproject.org
Mon Jul 20 19:07:00 UTC 2020

Hi!

Tor Browser meetings are happening every Monday at 1800UTC on
#tor-meeting in irc.oftc.net

For the last meeting:

Log:
http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2020/tor-meeting.2020-07-20-18.00.log.html

Pad:
http://kfahv6wfkbezjyg4r6mlhpmieydbebr5vkok5r34ya464gqz6c44bnyd.onion/p/tor-tbb-2020-keep

    This pad is shared publicly.

== Tor Browser meeting pad! ==

Next meeting is at Monday 27th July 1800 UTC on #tor-meeting on OFTC.

July Schedule:
    * Monday 20  July 18:00 UTC
    * Monday 27  July 18:00 UTC

Release meetings: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-browser-release-meeting-keep

    Tuesday July 21st 18:00 UTC

Wiki page for the team:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/team/-/wikis/home

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.) (See
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

Upcoming Releases and other important dates:

Latest Releases:

    2020.06.30: 10.0a2 - ESR68.10
https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-100a2

    2020.06.30: 9.5.1
https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-951

Previous notes: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/
(Search the tor-project mailing list archive for older notes.)

== What project we are working on? ==

SPONSOR 58 - Tor Browser Security, Performance, & Usability Improvements

    Milestone: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/11

    Parent ticket:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/33664

    Timeline:  https://nc.torproject.net/s/ow2r6cLgL7Cd9BA

== Stuff to do every week ==

    Board https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/applications/-/boards
- any change?

    Check reviews not taken! How reviews from last week worked? Any
blocker?

    Tickets on needs review:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/applications/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&label_name[]=Needs%20Review&assignee_id=None&label_name[]=Sponsor%2058

    Merge Requests
https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/applications/-/merge_requests

-------------------------------
---- 20 July 2020 -------------
-------------------------------

== Announcements [please date] ==

== Discussion [please date] ==

    [mcs 13 July 2020] How are we tracking desktop esr78 tasks? Are we
using the “Sponsor 58” keyword? Or a milestone? For example,
tor-browser#33855 does not have any interesting labels; in Trac, it was
a child of #33534.
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/33855

    for 10.0 release MUST DO we use milestone
https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/applications/-/milestones/1

    for anything 10.0 release related to sponsor 58 and MUST DO we use
milestone https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/11

    for anything that may be able to go into

    sponsor 58 we use label 'Sponsor 58'

    10.0 but not s58 we use label 'TB-10.0-could'

    Assumptions Tor Browser should make about an active connection with
an onion service

    Fenix hosting on Gitlab (ahf) - Should we get some content into
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/fenix/ ? the repository
is empty right now and i wonder if we should sync (manually) what there
is on mozilla's github?

    The DoH DNS resolver is blocked by the patch from
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/33962.

    This means that people who want to test DoH with Tor must risk DNS leaks

    (DoH itself is proxied, but DoH/TRR has modes that issue native DNS
queries in parallel for perf tests)

    Gitlab CI

== Status Updates == Please update the status in the same place every
week under your name

Name:
    Week of XYZ (planned):
        - What you planned for last week.
    Week of XYZ (actual):
        - What you did last week.
    Week of ABC (planned):
        - What you're planning to do this week.
    Help with:

         - Something you may need help with.

ahf:
    Week of 13/6 (planned)
        - Fenix
        - Land \r\n issues.
        - Help with merges/reviews on sbws
    Week of 13/6 (actually)
        - SBWS reviews.
        - Got test instance up and running for first version of our
Gitlab Lobby.
        - Landed \r\n patches.
        - Got Gitlab-CI to run for MR's and merges.
        - Updated my Fenix checkout and continued the fight with the
build-system.
    Week of 20/6 (planned):
        - Fenix
        - Help with merges

boklm:
    Week of 2020-06-15 (actual):
        - Made patches to use rootless containers and was able to do
builds of Tor Browser for windows-x86_64 and osx-x86_64
(tor-browser-build#23631 and rbm#40001). For some unknown reason the
builds based on wheezy are not working.
    Week of 2020-06-22 (planned):
        - Add some documentation for rbm#40001 and set the patch as
Needs Review
        - Improve patch for rbm#32272 to handle Ctrl+C

Mike:
    Week of 07/06 (planned):
        - gecko-dev proxy audit (#40017)
    Weeks of 07/06-07/20 (actual):
        - gecko-dev proxy audit, DNS portion (#40017 and #33962)
        - Hong Kong Happy Path UX discussions
        - PETS
        - SANS Tor Talk
    Week of 07/20 (planned):
        - gecko-dev proxy audit, Socket portion
        - Minor congestion control proposal tweaks, from Toke's latest
review
        - Metrics meeting for extra onionperf instances

mcs and brade:
    Week of July 13th (actual):
        - Commented in tor-browser#33533 (Rebase esr68 patches on top of
esr78).
        - Closed tor-browser#33867 (Disable password manager and
password generation).
        - For tor-browser#33534, reviewed pref changes made in recent
Firefox releases.
        - Created patches for:
            - tor-browser#33852 (Clean up about:logins (LockWise) to
avoid mentioning sync, etc.)
            - tor-browser#33855 (Don't use site's icon as window icon in
Windows)
            - tor-browser#30682 (Adapt Intermediate Preloading for Tor
Browser)
    Week of July 20th (planned):
        - Do some testing of the ESR78-based updater (desktop).
        - Open more issues for things found in tor-browser#33534 (Review
FF release notes from FF69 to latest).
           - Work on some of these “child” issues.

sysrqb:
    Week of 13 July (planned):
        #33939
        Review and land tpo/applications/tor-browser-build!13 (updated
toolchains)
        Update tor browser signing key
    Week of 13 July (actual):
        #33939
        Had some conversations with Mozilla about providing additional
support
        Discussion about security expectations/assumptions Tor Browser
makes about onion services (resulting in #40033)
        Updated tor browser signing keys
        Landed !13
    Week of 20 July (planned):
        #33939
        #34407
        review dev.tpo?
        Release prep

GeKo:

    Week of July 13 (planned):

    Vacation

    Week of July 13 (actual):

    Vacation

    Week of July 20:

    Finish build of application services

    Help with release

    Reviews (#27105, #30832, #33954)

    Go over "Merge Ready" things and actually merge them :)

    Fix up remaining desktop toolchain issues for alpha toolchain
(#34227 + child tickets contain all the things we are aware of currently)

Antonela:

    Week of July 13 (planned):

    Work on S58 tickets TBA UI

    Review HTTPS-E Names

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/40010

    Review Onion Location

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/40020

    Week of July 13 (actual):

    Work on S58 tickets TBA UI

    https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/fenix/-/issues/34407

    https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/fenix/-/issues/34405

    https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/fenix/-/issues/34406

    Reviewed Onion Location

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/40020

    Week of July 20:

    Continue working on S58 TBA UI

    👀 https://marvelapp.com/prototype/783fhfb

    Back to S30 - Connect to Tor ft bridges

    Back to S9 - dev.tpo.org

acat:
    Week of 6th July (planned):
        - Revise & Rebase #33533 to 79beta and test
tor-browser-spec#40001 process
        - 40010: Improve/Simplify HTTPS-Everywhere Onion Name Implementation
        - torbutton#40001: Generate tor-browser-brand.ftl from
brand.properties and brand.dtd
        - Iterate on tor-browser#33791: Evaluate Firefox tests
          - I was thinking of finding the subset of FF tests that pass
and putting it in some list/script, so that we can run/keep track of it.
+1 (+1, yes, please)
    Week of 13th July (planned):
      - Vacations (including today).
    Week of 6th June (actual):
        - 40010: Improve/Simplify HTTPS-Everywhere Onion Name Implementation
        - torbutton#40001: Generate tor-browser-brand.ftl from
brand.properties and brand.dtd
    Week of 20th July:
        - Iterate on tor-browser#33791: Evaluate Firefox tests
        - Revise & Rebase #33533 to 79beta and test
tor-browser-spec#40001 process
        - 40024: Go over rebased patches again and reorder pieces where
needed

Jeremy Rand:
    Week of 6 July (planned):
        File some GitLab issues about Namecoin support in macOS/Windows.
        Work on getting Electrum-NMC 4.0.1 ready.
        Work on upstreaming Electrum-NMC patches.
        More NLnet coordination.
        Publish OTF statement on Namecoin.org.
        Maybe figure out why email notifications aren't working for me
from GitLab. <-- notifications were disabled before, they do not work
for a specific project for you? --gaba  (Hmm, maybe something was fixed
without me noticing, will try again.  -Jeremy)
    Week of 6 July / 13 July (actual):

    File some GitLab issues about Namecoin support in macOS/Windows.

    More NLnet coordination.

        Publish OTF statement on Namecoin.org.
        Managed to get email notifications from GitLab working by
switching mail servers.  Seems my previous mail server has a STARTTLS
issue that might have been the issue.
    Week of 20 July (planned):
        Work on getting Electrum-NMC 4.0.1 ready.
        Work on upstreaming Electrum-NMC patches.
        Start coding patches for porting Tor Browser Namecoin support to
Windows.

--
she/her are my pronouns
GPG Fingerprint EE3F DF5C AD91 643C 21BE  8370 180D B06C 59CA BD19