[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes,16 July 2020

Cecylia Bocovich cohosh at torproject.org
Fri Jul 17 13:59:10 UTC 2020

Hi!

Here are our meeting minutes:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2020/tor-meeting.2020-07-16-15.58.html

And here is our meeting pad:

Anti-censorship work meeting pad
--------------------------------

Next meeting: Thursday July 16th 16:00 UTC

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 16:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC
(channel is logged while meetings are in progress).

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.

== Links to Useful documents ==

    Our anti-censorship roadmap:

    Roadmap:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/anti-censorship/-/boards

    The anti-censorship team's wiki page:

    https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/team/-/wikis/home

    Past meeting notes can be found at:

    https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/

    Tickets that need reviews:  from sponsors we are working on:

    All needs review tickets:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/anti-censorship/-/merge_requests?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&assignee_id=None

    Sponsor 30

    https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/4

    https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/7

    https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/5

    https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/6

    Sponsor 28

    must-do tickets:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/10

    possible tickets:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&label_name[]=Sponsor%2028&milestone_title=None

    Anti-censorship related tickets that we want other teams to fix:

    https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-anti-censorship-tickets-keep <-- it
will be moved into gitlab with TPO labels

== Announcements ==

    The censorship track at PETS starts at 16:40 UTC today at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdDgAuuilZk and a recording of the VPN
talk we're going to discuss next week is available at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aSO4ZMKjmY

== Discussion ==

    Any naming suggestions for our experimental BridgeDB successor?

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/team/-/wikis/Baby-Name-Book

== Actions ==

== Interesting links ==

    Privacy Enhancing Technologies Symposium 2020 is this week. The
censorship session is 16:40–17:55 UTC on Thursday.

    https://petsymposium.org/2020/program_UTC.php

    I skimmed the program for papers that look relevant to us. There's
one on VPN usage, two on decoy routing, and one on rendezvous using
cryptocurrency.

    Emotional and Practical Considerations towards the Adoption and
Abandonment of VPNs as a Privacy-Enhancing Technology

    https://petsymposium.org/2020/files/papers/issue1/popets-2020-0006.pdf

    Running Refraction Networking for Real

    https://petsymposium.org/2020/files/papers/issue4/popets-2020-0073.pdf

    SiegeBreaker: An SDN Based Practical Decoy Routing System

    https://petsymposium.org/2020/files/papers/issue3/popets-2020-0051.pdf

    MoneyMorph: Censorship Resistant Rendezvous using Permissionless
Cryptocurrencies

    https://petsymposium.org/2020/files/papers/issue3/popets-2020-0058.pdf

== Reading group ==

    We will discuss "Emotional and Practical Considerations Towards the
Adoption and Abandonment of VPNs as a Privacy-Enhancing Technology" on
July 23rd

    https://petsymposium.org/2020/files/papers/issue1/popets-2020-0006.pdf

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jksejehBQII

    Questions to ask and goals to have:

    What aspects of the paper are questionable?

    Are there immediate actions we can take based on this work?

    Are there long-term actions we can take based on this work?

    Is there future work that we want to call out, in hopes that others
will pick it up?

== Updates ==

Name:
    This week:
        - What you worked on this week.
    Next week:
        - What you are planning to work on next week.
    Help with:

         - Something you need help with.

phw:
  This week (2020-07-16):

    Experimented with a generalisation of BridgeDB.

    ...based on "Clean Architecture":
https://blog.cleancoder.com/uncle-bob/2012/08/13/the-clean-architecture.html

    Added a handful of new papers to CensorBib.

    Merged obfs4 bridge setup guide for Windows.

    Reviewed tpo/anti-censorship/bridgedb#40003.

    Merged tpo/anti-censorship/bridgedb#33647.

    Merged tpo/anti-censorship/bridgedb#33835.

  Next week:

    Wrap up tpo/anti-censorship/wolpertinger#34259.

  Help with:

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2020-07-16
Last week:
    - PETS 2020 conference participation and artifact committee stuff
    - Getting really bogged down with sponsor 28 evaluation work
    - some snowflake mobile UI discussion and reviews
    - opened a ticket to implement more NAT discovery at browser proxies
(snowflake-webext#13)
    - ran some performance tests on a symmetric NAT to check for
improvements from #34129 (#33666)
This week:
    - take a look at #25595
    - NAT discovery at proxies (snowflake-webext#13)
    - snowflake sponsor 28 evaluation work
    - maybe take a look at snowflake#21314 or some other blockers on #19001
    - continue with GetTor + BridgeDB refactor
Needs help with:
    - review of tor-browser-build#40016 (i'll ping the applications team)

juggy :
    This week:
        - Dig into the algorithm for how BridgeDB distributes bridges
    Next week:
        - Implement audio captchas in moat, figure out how to reduce
audio captcha request size
        - Keep studying BridgeDB to write architectural overview
    Help with:

arlolra: 2020-06-11

    Last week:

    -

    Next week:

    - follow ups to #33365

    - start on #31201

    Help with:

    -

dcf: 2020-07-16

    Last week:

    - reviewed RFC 5780–compatible STUN server for Snowflake broker.

    -
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/merge_requests/5

    - commented on STUN server selection for Tor Browser

    -
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/issues/30579

    - archived Snowflake WebExtension 0.4.0

    Next week:

    - find out what went wrong with trying to give cohosh CDN access
(snowflake#30510)

    - set up an etherpad for public bug reporting and link it from
https://snowflake.torproject.org/#bugs (snowflake#34435)

    Help with:

Antonela: 2020-07-16

    - (S28) Snowflake Android App UI

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake-mobile/-/issues/11

    - (S30) Making bridges.tpo looks like tpo.org

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/bridgedb/-/issues/34322

    - (S30) Planning activities for the user group in HK (happening next
week):

    - Run emma

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/-/blob/master/scripts%20and%20activities/2020/run-emma.md

    - Discovery issues with Bridges flow - working on the script

    https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/-/issues/4

agix:2020-07-02

    Last week:

    -Worked on #27984

    Next week:

    -Work on #34318

    Help with:

    -Review of #27984 (It's just a feedback implementation)

hanneloresx: 2020-06-25

    Last week:

    - Read existing documentation for BridgeDB. Get acclimated to GitLab.

    - Started investigating #32117

    - Filed and fixed #40003

    Next week:

    - Work on #32117

    - Work on #33727

    Help with:

    -

thymbahutymba: 2020-04-02
    Last week:
        - CI/CD pipeline for multiarch docker images, which has a problem
          with the apt tor version even though the apt repository have been
          changed into the Dockerfile.
    Next week:
    Help with:

HashikD: 2020-07-16

    Last week:

    - Made designs for Snowflake mobile:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake-mobile/-/issues/11#note_2693845

    - #6 Showing users stat about how many clients they served in the
past 24

    Next week:

    - Turn Designs in to code

    - Contemplating