[tor-project] Anti-censorship team monthly report: June 2020
phw at torproject.org
Tue Jul 14 04:56:15 UTC 2020
Our June report is already on the blog (including a Chinese translation):
...but I forgot to send it to this mailing list. Here's what we
accomplished in June 2020:
* Snowflake is now available on Android for alpha versions of Tor
* Snowflake proxy app on Android is now able to relay data back and
- Updated wiki with information on the project:
- Started working on a UI that lets users add custom STUN, broker, relay URLs:
- Implemented relaying data back and forth between client and Tor relay:
- Establishing a connection with WebSocket.
- Handling connection termination or failures from WebRTC.
- Establishing a connection with the client using WebRTC.
- Created a service to do the work in the background and implemented a wakelock.
- Chose libraries for the project: Google's WebRTC library for
WebRTC, Retrofit for HTTP calls, OkHttp for WebSocket, RxJava for
* Implemented NAT discovery for Snowflake clients.
* Investigated and abandoned attempts to do NAT discovery for
* Added a favicon to bridges.torproject.org.
* Made progress towards making BridgeDB's email autoresponder more
robust to quoted emails.
* Made lots of progress towards having BridgeDB report internal metrics.
* Added a feature that allows us to blacklist bridges that run a given
set of Tor versions (e.g., if they suffer from problematic bugs).
* Cleaned up and rebased a patch that updates BridgeDB's dependencies.
* Made progress towards getting BridgeDB to parse and take into account
bridge blocking information.
* Investigated a path towards adding GetTor to BridgeDB.
* Made some progress towards fixing GetTor's Twitter responder.
* Fixed a typo in the GetTor Gitlab provider links. Updated GetTor for
Tor Browser 9.5 release.
* Philipp gave a talk about our anti-censorship work as part of OONI's Internet Measurement Village 2020.
* Published May 2020 team report as blog post.
* Had a meeting and discussion with V2Ray developers.
* Made progress towards extending anti-censorship personas.
* Moved forward with censorship scenarios that we will address as part
of our Sponsor 30 grant.
* Created draft for "get bridges" user research.
* Improved emma's Makefile.
* The Tor Project transitioned from Trac (our previous bug tracker) to
* Moved our obfs4 bridge Docker image to new organization account.
More information about the tor-project