[tor-project] Anti-censorship team monthly report: June 2020

Philipp Winter phw at torproject.org
Tue Jul 14 04:56:15 UTC 2020

Hi all,

Our June report is already on the blog (including a Chinese translation):
https://blog.torproject.org/anti-censorship-june-2020
...but I forgot to send it to this mailing list.  Here's what we
accomplished in June 2020:

Snowflake
=========

* Snowflake is now available on Android for alpha versions of Tor
  Browser:
  https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/30318

* Snowflake proxy app on Android is now able to relay data back and
  forth.
    - Updated wiki with information on the project:
      https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake-mobile/-/wikis/home

    - Started working on a UI that lets users add custom STUN, broker, relay URLs:
      https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake-mobile/-/issues/5

    - Implemented relaying data back and forth between client and Tor relay:
      https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake-mobile/-/issues/3

    - Establishing a connection with WebSocket.
      https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake-mobile/-/issues/2

    - Handling connection termination or failures from WebRTC.
      https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/issues/34278

    - Establishing a connection with the client using WebRTC.
      https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/issues/34275

    - Created a service to do the work in the background and implemented a wakelock.

    - Chose libraries for the project: Google's WebRTC library for
      WebRTC, Retrofit for HTTP calls, OkHttp for WebSocket, RxJava for
      reactive programming.

* Implemented NAT discovery for Snowflake clients.
  https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/issues/34129

* Investigated and abandoned attempts to do NAT discovery for
  browser-based proxies.
  https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake-webext/-/issues/13

BridgeDB
========

* Added a favicon to bridges.torproject.org.
  https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/bridgedb/-/issues/19774

* Made progress towards making BridgeDB's email autoresponder more
  robust to quoted emails.
  https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/bridgedb/-/issues/33835

* Made lots of progress towards having BridgeDB report internal metrics.
  https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/bridgedb/-/issues/31422

* Added a feature that allows us to blacklist bridges that run a given
  set of Tor versions (e.g., if they suffer from problematic bugs).
  https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/bridgedb/-/issues/29184

* Cleaned up and rebased a patch that updates BridgeDB's dependencies.
  https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/bridgedb/-/issues/33647

* Made progress towards getting BridgeDB to parse and take into account
  bridge blocking information.
  https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/bridgedb/-/issues/34260

GetTor
======

* Investigated a path towards adding GetTor to BridgeDB.
  https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/bridgedb/-/issues/3780

* Made some progress towards fixing GetTor's Twitter responder.
  https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/gettor-project/trac/-/issues/27330

* Fixed a typo in the GetTor Gitlab provider links.  Updated GetTor for
  Tor Browser 9.5 release.

Outreach
========

* Philipp gave a talk about our anti-censorship work as part of OONI's Internet  Measurement Village 2020.
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6xEfNHkFKY

* Published May 2020 team report as blog post.
  https://blog.torproject.org/anti-censorship-may-2020

* Had a meeting and discussion with V2Ray developers.
  https://github.com/net4people/bbs/issues/36

UX
==

* Made progress towards extending anti-censorship personas.
  https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/trac/-/issues/32811

* Moved forward with censorship scenarios that we will address as part
  of our Sponsor 30 grant.
  https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/trac/-/issues/40003

* Created draft for "get bridges" user research.
  https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/-/issues/4

Miscellaneous

* Improved emma's Makefile.
  https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/emma

* The Tor Project transitioned from Trac (our previous bug tracker) to
  Gitlab.

* Moved our obfs4 bridge Docker image to new organization account.
  https://hub.docker.com/orgs/thetorproject