[tor-project] Tor Browser Team Meeting Notes, 06 January 2020

Matthew Finkel sysrqb at torproject.org
Thu Jan 23 22:09:40 UTC 2020

Hello everyone,

Our first meeting of 2020 was held on 6 January.

2020 will be an exciting year for Tor Browser! We have a busy year ahead of
us and we're hitting the ground running.

The logs are available at
http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting2/2020/tor-meeting2.2020-01-06-18.29.log.txt

2) Discussed how long it will take before we start writing 2020 instead of
   2019 on documents
3) Discussed future plans for Namecoin integration (adding more platforms,
   timeline for adding in Alpha, etc.)

With regard to (3), Namecoin is currently available in Tor Browser Nightly
builds on Gnu/Linux 64-bit. Please provide feedback is you try it!

================================
Week of January 6, 2020

    How long will we be dating things 2019 when signing documents?
    Will this decade be as roaring as the 1900s version?
      - if it will be, is that a good thing

pospeselr:
    Last weeks:
        - #31855 (remove end of year fundraising campaign)
        - small progress on Mozilla 1601040 and 1594455
    This week:
        - continue baby-sitting above Mozilla tickets
        - #30570 (implement per-site security settings)

    - what do folks think about the discussion in the ticket?

    - tldr: looks like to build something consistent with the design laid out there requires a lot of work basically reimplementing what NoScript does, or heavily refactoring/redesigning NoScript's internals :/

    - look into umatrix extension as an alternative to NoScript

      - put umatrix findings in a doc or on the ticket

mcs and brade:
    Last few weeks:
        - #32636 (Clean up locales shipped with Tor Launcher).
        - Code review for #31855 (Remove EOY Campaign from about:tor).
        - Sponsor 27 work:
            - #19757 (permanent storage of client auth keys and associated management UI).
        - Time off for Christmas and end of year.
    This week/upcoming:
        - #19757 (permanent storage of client auth keys and associated management UI).

boklm:
    Last few weeks:
        - Made patches for:
            - #32768 (Create a build-infos.json file containing firefox platform_version and buildid)
            - #32805 (Make creation of downloads.json optional)
        - Worked on #25102 which is almost finished (Add script to sign nightly build mar files, generate update-responses xml and publish the new version)
        - Looked at blog comments
    This week:
        - Help with publishing new releases
        - Finish work on #25102 (script to sign nightly build mar files, generate update-responses xml and publish the new version) and remaining things for #18867 (Ship auto-updates for Tor Browser nightly channel)
        - Try #32768 (Make script to optimize upload and download of Tor Browser releases)
        - Look at macOS signing situation

sysrqb:
    Last few weeks:
        Mostly distracted by holidays, family, etc.
        Preparing releases for this week
    This week:
        Releases
        Reviewing roadmap for Q1 2020
        Finishing remaining items we didn't finish last year

Jeremy Rand:
    Last few weeks:
        #30558 is merged, yay.
        Attended 36C3; gave a talk and workshop; ran into boklm there :)
    This week:
        Ponder next steps for Namecoin now that the initial merge to Linux Nightly has happened.