[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 23 Jan 2020

Philipp Winter phw at torproject.org
Thu Jan 23 18:23:14 UTC 2020

Here is our meeting log:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2020/tor-meeting.2020-01-23-17.59.html

And here is our meeting pad:

Anti-censorship work meeting pad
--------------------------------

Next meeting: Thursday January 23rd 18:00 UTC

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 18:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress).

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.

== Links to Useful documents ==

    * Our anti-censorship roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/roadmap/boards
        * Our roadmap consists of a subset of trac tickets.
    * The anti-censorship team's wiki page: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/AntiCensorshipTeam
    * Past meeting's notes can be found at: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/
    * GetTor's roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/groups/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/-/boards
    * Tickets that need reviews: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=%5eCircumvention&col=id&col=summary&col=component&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=reviewer&order=priority
    * Projects from sponsors we are working on:
        * https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/Sponsor30
        * https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/Sponsor28

-------------------------
--- January 23rd 2020 ---
-------------------------

== Announcements ==

    * Thanks to atagar, BridgeDB is now ported to Python 3!

== Discussion ==

    * Anyone want to mentor a student developer during the summer? We have time to apply until early February.
    https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/how-it-works/#timeline
    Ideas from last year: https://2019.www.torproject.org/getinvolved/volunteer.html.en#Coding
    Ideas for this year: https://pad.riseup.net/p/anti-censorship-gsoc
    * Anything else to report as done for last year on Sponsor 30? Please fill in: https://pad.riseup.net/p/sponsor30-first-report
    * Kyle Undergrad Thesis: Fingerprintability of Snowflake

== Actions ==

    * Our GSoC deadline is approaching: Feb 5
        * https://pad.riseup.net/p/anti-censorship-gsoc

== Interesting links ==

    *

== Updates ==

Name:
    This week:
        - What you worked on this week.
    Next week:
        - What you are planning to work on next week (related to anti-censorship work).
    Help with:
         - Something you may need help with.

Hiro: (last updated before 2020-01-09)
    Started restoring Twitter Responder.
        When retrieving tweets I need to check for new tweets only otherwise Gettor will end up responding to old back log and already answered messages. <-- is this #27330 ?
    Next Week:
      - Work on gettor specs <-- Is this #3781?
      - More with review of strings and website content and translation

phw:
  This week (2020-01-23):
        * Made modifications to https://bridges.torproject.org/scan/ as per arma's suggestions
            * Uses GET instead of POST now, and explains the expected format of IPv6 addresses
        * Filed #33008, so Relay Search shows a bridge's distribution bucket
        * Prepared for and attended roadmapping meeting
        * One-on-one with isabela
        * Reviewed #32711
        * TTP grant writing and meeting
  Next week:
        * Roadmap post-processing (e.g., formalising goal statements)
        * More grant writing
        * #33007
        * #30946
  Help with:
        * https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/31872

Gaba: ()
   Last week (Jan 16th):
    This week (planned):
            * roadmapping
            * sponsor 30 report

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2019-01-23
Last week:
    - anti-censorship team roadmapping
    - revised, merged, and deployed gettor gitlab fixes (#32711)
    - switched github gettor provider to new repository (#32977)
    - wrote up some descriptions for GSoC projects
    - more work on snowflake throughput checks (#32938)
    - started working on a localization fix for gettor binaries(#33002)
    - grant writing
    - fixes for local GetTor tests (#33004)

This week:
    - grant revising
    - look at reports of shadow socks blocking
    - check in on censorship measurements again
    - finish up snowflake throughput checks (#32938)
    - finish up localization fix for gettor (#33002)

Needs help with:
    - review of #31971 (from tor browser team)
    - review of #33004 (hiro?)

arlolra: 2020-01-23
    Last week:
        - nothing
    Next week:
        - read up on turbo tunnel
        - start on #19026
    Help with:
        -

dcf: 2020-01-23
    Last week:
        - small logging fixes in Snowflake (#33011)
        - opened an issue to decide the fate of the go-webrtc repo https://github.com/keroserene/go-webrtc/issues/109
    Next week:
        - turbo tunnel in Snowflake
        - do Let's Encrypt upgrade for Snowflake bridge (#32964)
    Help with:

cjb: 2019-01-23
   Last week:
    - took a stab at #31009, but couldn't find an IPv6 replacement
      for router_pick_published_address().  ahf's going to take it.
   Next week:
    - try to do better at asking for help :)
   Help with: