[tor-project] Network Team Meeting Notes, 13 January 2020

Alexander Færøy ahf at torproject.org
Wed Jan 22 22:29:55 UTC 2020

Hello,

Here is a short summary of the network team meeting from Monday the 13th
of January 2020.

1) Started out with roadmap. People were asked to use
   #network-team-roadmap-2020Q1 as keyword on Trac for new items for the Q1 2020
   roadmap items.

2) We have an 0.4.3 status page now at
   https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CoreTorReleases/043Status
   that we will use for seeing how we are doing with the 0.4.3 release.

3) We decided to move next meeting to 22/1 2020 at 23 UTC.

4) There was a short discussion on a practracker issue that was resolved.

5) Nobody had anything else to discuss.

--- end of summary ---

You can read today's network team meeting log at:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2020/tor-meeting.2020-01-13-17.59.html

Below are the contents of our meeting pad:

Nick:
    Week of Jan 6, remaining (planned):
        - Work on various bugs
        - C style work, pending feedback
        - Dirauth config modularization work, pending feedback and review
        - Revise 22029 (block by ed25519)
        - Examine binary size issues
        - More reviews
    Week of Jan 6 (actual):
        - Worked on more style patches; resolve numerous pending style issues (under 32921)
        - Initial triage 0.4.3.x tickets with ahf
        - Lots of tests, reviews, merges
        - Looked at binary size issue a bit
        - Revised and merged 22029
        - Wrote patch to disable dircache when relay-mode is disabled (32487)
    Week of Jan 13 (planned):
        - Freeze 0.4.3 in two days
        - more work on whatever gets reviewed.
        - reviews and merges
        - Write a test for 20218
        - Try moving dirauth_mode() to src/core
        - More investigation on 32835 (log bug)
        - More investigation on 32868 (assertion bug)
        - More releases?  Or wait for more fixes?
        - 0.4.3.1.x-alpha?
        - Split up core/include.am (32137)
        - PETS discussion
        - PETS artifact review

catalyst:
    week of 01/06 (2020-W02) (planned):
        - reviews
        - GSoD
        - roadmapping (creating tickets for planned work items)
    week of 01/06 (2020-W02) (actual):
        - reviews
        - revised #32846 (GSoD work) and suggested future directions
        - tried to debug some asciidoc network dependency problems; turns out to be homebrew (macOS) specific
    week of 01/13 (2020-W03) (planned):
        - reviews
        - roadmapping (creating tickets for planned work items)
        - GSoD
    help with:
        - teor, or someone else, could we please merge #32846 soon to unblock swati?

ahf:
    Last week (planned):
     - Begin work on roadmapped items for Jan/Feb.
     - Solve my last Gitlab formatting issue(s?)
     - Recover fully from flu.
    Last week (actually):
     - Friday worked on GL issues.
     - Recovered from the flu.
     - Triage with Nick.
     - Some FOSDEM prep.
     - Planning roadmap items with a mixture of GL, new Jan/Feb tasks, and s28 items.
    This week (planned):
     - Send out 1:1 schedules to team members.
     - Sync with Gaba.
     - Some meetings.
     - Hack on roadmap items.

Mike:
    Last week (planned):
        - Figure out Mozilla Berlin EKR meeting topics
        - Catch up on mail
    Last week (actual):
        - Figure out Mozilla Berlin EKR meeting topics
        - Catch up on mail
    This week (planned):
      - Have gaba+isa review role descriptions
      - Metrics kickoff meeting
      - Work on explicit congestion notification meta-proposal
      - Write mails to researchers re circpad docs + simulator
      - File perf-related roadmap tickets
      - Triage + prioritize circpad, vanguards bugs

dgoulet:
  Week of Jan 6th (actual):
    - Triage some tickets
    - Patch on #32892
    - Reviewed some tickets.
    - Opened #32910 and started to work on it.
    - Code needed before feature freeze for s27: #32709.
    - Answered some tor-dev emails about HS DoS defenses. More in the pipe now
      as people have been responding.
    - Fixed #32847
  Week of Jan 13th (planned):
    - Finalize asap #32709 with asn before freeze on Wed.
    - Continue with #32910

Gaba:
    Week of Jan 13th (planned):
    - Get up to date with mails and Trac
    - Follow up on Gitlab status
    - Roadmapping for Scalability (with metrics team)
    - Check on sponsor work.

--
Alexander Færøy