[tor-project] Community Team report - November & December 2019

gus gus at torproject.org
Mon Jan 13 15:25:02 UTC 2020

Community Team November & December 2019
=======================================

Support and Documentation
-------------------------

In December, Cleopatra (c1e0 on IRC) started as Outreachy intern in the
project "Help Tor support our users"
<https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/Outreachy#Project1:HelpTorProjectsupportourusers>.
In the last month, Gus introduced C1e0 in the Frontdesk world, and we
worked together to answer users requests. We've narrowed the queue for
less than 90 new tickets. C1e0 will compile our users feedback in a
monthly report, see
<https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2020-January/002645.html>.

During the Outreachy contribution period, MacTavish started the Tor
Browser for Android Manual, Cleopatra and Gus are reviewing it and in
January we will have as a new section inside Tor Browser Manual
<https://tb-manual.torproject.org>.

Trainings
---------

In November we met with training partners in Global South to organize
and schedule digital security trainings. And Tails and Tor were
presented (among other tools) to journalism students at IUT Lannion
(Lannion, France), Sciences Po Rennes (Rennes, France) and Bordeaux
Aquitaine Institute of Journalism (IJBA) (Bordeaux, France).

In December Fundación Karisma (Colombia) and Zaina Foundation (Tanzania)
organised digital security trainings about Tor in their local
communities. They used our training materials and followed our User
Research guideline to collect feedback to UX team.

Outreach
--------

November

- (Copenhagen) Ahf talked about Tor & circumvention censorship at
  Driving IT <https://blog.torproject.org/events/driving-it-copenhagen>
- (Firenze) Gus talked about Tor at If_do hacklab
  <https://blog.torproject.org/events/internet-e-anonimato-la-rete-tor-firenze>
- (Brussels) Tor Meetup Brussels with ahf, gus, francisco, vasilis
  <https://blog.torproject.org/events/tor-meetup-brussels>
- (Brussels) Ahf and Gus organised Tor sessions at Freedom not Fear
  <https://blog.torproject.org/events/freedom-not-fear-brussels>
- (DC) Roger talked at "The Future of Speech Online"
  <https://blog.torproject.org/events/future-speech-online-dc>
- (Seattle) Gaba presented "The State of the Onion" during "Seattle
  GNU/Linux Conference"
<https://blog.torproject.org/events/seagl-seattle>
- (Roma) Gus talked about Tor with Avana hacklab at Strike:
  <https://blog.torproject.org/events/tor-workshop-strike-spa-roma>
- (Torino) Gus talked about Tor at UNITO - "Non è la silicon valley, ma
  si mangia meglio!"
<https://blog.torproject.org/events/non-e-la-silicon-valley-ma-si-mangia-meglio-torino>
- (Barcelona) Pili talked at "V Jornades Internacionals de dones en el
  sector TIC"
<https://blog.torproject.org/events/v-jornades-internacionals-de-dones-en-el-sector-tic-barcelona>
- (Pune) Kushal speaked about Tor at "WoSec and InfoSecGirls Workshop"
  <https://blog.torproject.org/events/wosec-and-infosecgirls-workshop-pune>
- Global South online meeting notes:
  <https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/global-south/2019-December/000268.html>

December

- (São Paulo) Gus talked about Tor 101 and SecureDrop during Criptofesta
  <https://blog.torproject.org/events/criptofesta-sao-paulo-0>
- (Campinas) Caio talked about Tor and relays in LHC hackerspace
  <https://blog.torproject.org/events/cebolizando-campinas>
- (Brasilia) Gus talked at Criptobaile
  <https://blog.torproject.org/events/criptobaile-brasilia>
- (Brooklyn) Isabela talked about "Taking Back the Internet with Tor"
  during Hackers Next Door
<https://blog.torproject.org/events/hackers-next-door-brooklyn>
- (Montevideo) Gaba gave a Tor/infosec workshop to journalists from
  <ladiaria.com.uy>
- Relay operators met during the 36C3, read the assembly notes
  <https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2020-January/018022.html>
- Blog post about Human Rights day
  <https://blog.torproject.org/digital-rights-are-human-rights>
- Global South online meeting notes:
  <https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/global-south/2019-December/000270.html>

Next Events
-----------

February - Meet us during FOSDEM 2020
<https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/meetings/2020Brussels>

Meta
----

Community Team weekly meetings, every Monday at 16:00 UTC, in
#tor-meeting at OFTC <irc.oftc.net>

Meeting notes

* Community Team Meeting Notes - 04 Nov 2019
* <https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-community-team/2019-November/000341.html>
* Community Team Meeting Notes - 18 Nov 2019
* <https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-community-team/2019-November/000342.html>
* Community Team Meeting Notes - 25 Nov 2019
* <https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-community-team/2019-November/000344.html>
* Community Team Meeting Notes - 02 Dec 2019
* <https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-community-team/2019-December/000345.html>
* Community Team Meeting Notes - 09 Dec 2019
* <https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-community-team/2019-December/000348.html>
* Community Team Meeting Notes - 16 Dec 2019
* <https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-community-team/2019-December/000349.html>