[tor-project] December 2019 User Feedback Report

Enjeck Cleopatra patrathewhiz at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 15:21:39 UTC 2020

Hey, team!

Welcome to the *December 2019 user feedback report!* Happy New Year.

TL;DR:

There didn't seem to be much user feedback that we haven't seen in previous
months. Since the update to Tor Browser 9.0, some users were still confused
with the letterboxing feature and there were reports of missing dlls on
Windows.

- Reddit is mostly buzzing with the same questions we usually see. I'm also
seeing questions about letterboxing, ISP block circumvention, proxy server
errors, specifying exit nodes and getting Tor for Mac and iOS.

## Common questions on Frontdesk

- Why can't download Tor Browser / download button not working.
- Why can't I connect to Tor Browser?
- How to fix missing dll files on Windows?
- Why can't I access some websites on TB?
- How to circumvent internet ban in Iran/ bridges for Iran users?
- Is TB infected with malware/ why does my antivirus pop up a warning?
- How long does it take to ship donation gifts?

## Most common questions of Reddit (/r/TOR)

- Tor Browser for iOS/iPhones?
- What are the borders in Tor Browser / how to remove them?
- Can my ISP see what I do on Tor Browser/ bypassing ISP blocks/throttling?
- How to specify exit nodes?
- Do I need both Tor for Android and Orbot?

## TBA Reviews & Feedback on Google Play Store

The average review score is still at *4.2 stars*. Below are some common
problems mentioned in the by users in Google Play reviews:

   - The proxy server is refusing connections.

   - Crashes all the time / force stops.

   - Browsing speed is extremely slow .

   - Can't download any image

   - Some websites don't work/ Onion links don't work.

   - Why does TBA not block ads?

   - Need to donate to use app (It appears the EOY banner makes some users
   think they must donate to use the app).

   - How to import and sync bookmarks.

   - Why doesn't TBA have an adblocker?

## Most common stack exchange tags

tor-browser-bundle: 10 this month
hidden-services: 7 this month
configuration: 4 this month
directory: 3 this month
windows: 3 this month
server: 3 this month

## Notable bugs, fixes, & issues mentioned by users

   - Blog comment [1] - Difficulty verifying Tor Browser signature on
   Android. This could be addressed while working on [8].

   - Blog comment [2] - Pictures not loading on websites. This problem was
   fixed by [9] - CLOSED.

   - #32847 [3] - Tor crashes when quitting Tor Browser nightly on macOS -
   OPEN.

   - #32693 [4] - TBB Android: startup crash when opened from external link
   - CLOSED as duplicate.

   - #32733 [5] - "Find" feature leaks information between Tor Browser and
   regular Firefox on macOS 10.15.1 - CLOSED as duplicate.

   - #32857 [6] - File parts are being automatically downloaded to /tmp -
   OPEN.

   - #32654 [7] - Torbrowser overrides user disabling tor proxy after
   restart - OPEN.

## Annotations

1. https://blog.torproject.org/comment/285898#comment-285898
2. https://blog.torproject.org/comment/285810#comment-285810