[tor-project] Anti-censorship team meeting notes 20 February 2020

Cecylia Bocovich cohosh at torproject.org
Thu Feb 20 19:04:15 UTC 2020

Here is our meeting log:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2020/tor meeting.2020-02-20-18.00.html

And our meeting pad:

Anti-censorship work meeting pad
--------------------------------

Next meeting: Thursday February 20th 18:00 UTC

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 18:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC
(channel is logged while meetings are in progress).

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.

== Links to Useful documents ==

    Our anti-censorship roadmap:
https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/roadmap/boards

    Our roadmap consists of a subset of trac tickets. For 2020 Q1, the
trac keyword is anti-censorship-roadmap-2020Q1

    The anti-censorship team's wiki page:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/AntiCensorshipTeam

    Past meeting's notes can be found at:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/

    GetTor's roadmap:
https://dip.torproject.org/groups/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/-/boards

    Tickets that need reviews:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=%5eCircumvention&col=id&col=summary&col=component&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=reviewer&order=priority

    Projects from sponsors we are working on:

    https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/Sponsor30

    https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/Sponsor28

-------------------------
--- February 20th 2020 --
-------------------------

== Announcements ==

== Discussion ==

== Actions ==

== Interesting links ==

    https://github.com/edwardz246003/shadowsocks Redirect attack on
Shadowsocks stream ciphers

    tldr: Shadowsocks stream ciphers do not even provide confidentiality
(AEAD ciphers are ok)

== Updates ==

Name:
    This week:
        - What you worked on this week.
    Next week:
        - What you are planning to work on next week (related to
anti-censorship work).
    Help with:

         - Something you may need help with.

Hiro: (last updated before 2020-01-09)
    Started restoring Twitter Responder.

        When retrieving tweets I need to check for new tweets only
otherwise Gettor will end up responding to old back log and already
answered messages. <-- is this #27330 ?

    Next Week:
      - Work on gettor specs <-- Is this #3781?
      - More with review of strings and website content and translation

phw:
  This week (2020-02-20):

    Will be gone until our Mar 12 meeting.

    Merged and deployed BridgeDB's Python 3 port (#30946).

    Retired scramblesuit, obfs3, and fte from BridgeDB.

    Refactored email distributor check tool for #12802.

    Wrote OONI patches for new default bridge.

    Reviewed #23225.

  Next week:

    Write a summary of our current BridgeDB distribution mechanisms and
brainstorm new ones

  Help with:

Gaba: ()
   Last week ():

    This week (planned):

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2020-02-20
Last week:
    - afk monday for public holiday
    - reviewed #33299
    - looked at webext issues and reviewed #33367
    - grant writing
    - finished up adding db tests for gettor (and fixed some db issues)
#33191
    - dogfood turbotunnel + snowflake
    - revised work to ignore quoted text in gettor emails (#23225)
    - worked to investigate proxy-go CPU usage (#33211)
    - revised ignoring quoted help text in GetTor emails (#33343)

This week:
    - UI mock up for snowflake throughput check (#32938)
    - more work on proxy-go CPU usage (#33211)
    - Investigate passing STUN information from Broker to client (#25591)
    - Do more profiling for Snowflake (memory, goroutines, and CPU)
    - Aggregate and write up a report of snowflake throughput changes
    - write up snowflake scaling thoughts for mailing list
    - send grant to some external reviewers
    - pick up another gettor ticket

Needs help with:
    - review of #33343, #33191, #23225

arlolra: 2020-02-13

    Last week:

    - merged the client part of #19026

    Next week:

    - maybe the proxy parts of #19026

    - pick another task?

    Help with:

    -

dcf: 2020-02-20

    Last week:

    - helped debug a snowflake server memory leak (#33367)

    - made a patch to ignore client IP addresses of 0.0.0.0 for stats
purposes (#33385)

    - deployed a snowflake turbotunnel bridge and Tor Browser packages
that use it (#33336)

    -
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/anti-censorship-team/2020-February/000073.html

    Next week:

    - announce snowflake-turbotunnel bundles for somewhat wider testing

    - DNS-over-HTTPS prototyping

    Help with:

cjb: 2019-02-20
   Last week:
    - got feedback on #31011!
   Next week:
    - answering feedback, started poking at golang snowflake proxy
Android app
   Help with:
    -

agix:2020-02-20