[tor-project] Network Team Meeting Notes, 10 February 2020

Alexander Færøy ahf at torproject.org
Wed Feb 19 22:30:13 UTC 2020

Hello,

Here is a short summary of the network team meeting from Monday the 10th of
February 2020.

1) We started out with roadmap. People are doing 0.4.3 tickets and TROVE's.

2) Reviews seemed alright.

3) We went over our 0.4.3 status page.

4) Short discussion on reviewer assignments.

5) Nick asked if we had any blockers for a 0.4.3.2-alpha release. Nobody had any.

6) Nobody had anything else to discuss.

--- end of summary ---

You can read the network team meeting log at:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2020/tor-meeting.2020-02-10-17.59.html

Below are the contents of our meeting pad:

Nick:
    Week of 2 Feb (planned):
        - Finish bug retrospective.
        - Solve as many 043-must/should issues as I can.
        - Review and merge.
        - Keep an eye on blog comments about recent stable releases.
        - Plan for an alpha early next week.
        - More work on paper with Ian and Chelsea (revisions due 15 Feb)
        - Review Teor's proposal 313 once it's out
        - Integrate revisions to prop295 before I forget completely
    Week of 2 Feb (actual):
        - Continue bug retrospective
        - Worked on paper with Ian and Chelsea
        - Revised C style branch (32921)
        - Worked on several 0.4.3.x tickets
        - Discussed and worked on several TROVE issues.
        - Spent Friday sick :/
    Week of 10 Feb (planned):
        - Work on paper with Ian and Chelsea (revisions due 15 Feb)
        - Finish review on PETS artifact (due 15 Feb)
        - Review Teor's proposal 313
        - Revise:
            - TROVE-2020-002
            - 33104 -- SIGNAL ACTIVE patch
            - 32921 -- C style branch
            - Other patches on 0.4.3
        - Release 0.4.3.2-alpha
        - Continue bug retrospective. Finish?
        - Open merge window for 0.4.4
        - Resolve more 043-must/should tickets
        - Integrate revisions to prop295 before I forget completely
    Pending for later:
        - Try to do a personal roadmap for next 3-4 months

catalyst:

    week of 02/03 (2020-W06) (planned):
        - reviews
        - getting feedback on .github repo stuff (#32335)
        - feedback cycle stuff
    week of 02/03 (2020-W06) (actual):
        - more review of gsod work (#32928, #32929), with nickm's help
        - research on "minimum viable clang-format version" for #32921
    week of 02/10 (2020-W07) (planned):
        - reviews
        - more research and commenting on #32921
        - follow up on .github repo stuff (#32335)

ahf:
    Week of 3/2 2020 (planned):
        - Work on one of the TROVE's.
        - Tried to wrap my head around the HS randevouz blog post.
        - EOM tasks from January.
        - Some follow ups related to peer review and FOSDEM.
    Week of 3/2 2020 (actually):
        - Did EOM tasks for January.
        - A lot of follow ups from meetings.
        - Wrapped my head more around sbws.
        - Started working on my TROVE issue.
        - Made a notebook on "churn rate" after Roger talked about on IRC: https://github.com/ahf/onion-notebooks/blob/master/relay_churn_rate.ipynb - some of this surprised me.
    Week of 10/2 2020 (planned)
        - Get over a flu. Going in the right direction.
        - Review a lot of sbws tickets.
        - Finish TROVE issue.
        - Work on wiki migration on GL. Help hiro with migration if she needs that.
        - Write email about a discussion I had with Peter Stuge and Linus at FOSDEM.

asn:
   Week of 03/01 (actual):
   - Asked people to pre-alpha test OBv3: https://github.com/asn-d6/onionbalance/blob/master/docs/alpha-testing-v3.txt
   - Handled various security threads and also started handling TROVE-2020-003
   - Recovered from FOSDEM and handled all the backlog
   Week of 10/01 (planned):
   - Finalize handling of TROVE-2020-003
   - Get back to onionbalance v3.
   - Get #32709 merged
   - Finish reviews

Mike (reporting on tor-project at lists unless active on tor.git):
    Last week (planned):
    Last week (actual):
    This week (planned):
        - Funding proposals
        - May work on vanguards+onionbalance integration tests

dgoulet:
  Week of Feb 3rd (actual):
    - Reviews and merges
    - HS client auth issues. Worked on fixes: #33139, #33148
    - Worked on #28992 HS ticket.
    - More work on #33072 and #33029. Launched a discussion on the dirauth
      list to decide for backport on those.
    - Sponsor27 meeting. Wrote a summary of the new SOCKS5 extended error in #33035.
    - Some work on the network health side to help GeKo transition.
    - Went over the TROVE and responded on network team security list.
    - HackerOne report.
  Week of Feb 10th (planned):
    - Backport work for #33072 and #33029.
    - Update #32910 with latest discussion with nickm about the tracing API
      and code structure.
    - Will start doing some slides for NetDev 0x14. Diagrams of some tor low
      level internal codes are needed so I need to start early.

Gaba:
  Week of February 6th (actual)
      - 255
      - run behind Trac
      - sbws roadmap

    Week of February 10th (planned)
    - s55
    - reduce scalabiltiy project to fit new requirements
    - sbws proposal
    - survive a pile of mails
    - run behind trac again
    - read some Tor documents

teor: (online first meeting of the month, offline at the usual meeting time)

   Week of 3 February (planned):
       Take Time for:
           - Revise Proposal 311: Relay IPv6 Reachability (#24404)
           - Revise Proposal 312: Automatic Relay IPv6 Addresses (#33073)
           - Draft Proposal 313: Relay IPv6 Statistics (ticket?)
           - sbws roadmap review
           - sbws funding proposal review
           - Merge proposals 311 and 312, and send out final drafts to tor-dev
       Roadmap:
           - Make tickets for roadmap, based on proposals 311 and 312
       Other:
           - Ticket triage, backport deciding, quick code reviews

   Week of 3 February (actual):
       Take Time for:
           - Revise Proposal 311: Relay IPv6 Reachability (#24404)
           - Revise Proposal 312: Automatic Relay IPv6 Addresses (#33073)
           - Merge proposals 311 and 312
           - Start Drafting Proposal 313: Relay IPv6 Statistics (#33159)
           - sbws roadmap review
           - responding to emails and IRC
       Roadmap:
           - responding to questions on sponsor 55 tickets
           - update other tickets based on Sponsor 55 analysis and proposals
       Other:
           - Ticket triage, backport deciding, quick code reviews
           - Opened #33156 for a DoS subsystem IPv6 bug
           - GSoC potential IPv6 project: update project info based on latest proposals
           - Security issue analysis
           - Python 3 reviews / helping new contributors

   Week of 10 February (planned):
       Take Time for:
           - Write Draft of Proposal 313: Relay IPv6 Statistics (#33159)
           - Revise Proposal 313 based on reviews
           - responding to emails and IRC
       Roadmap:
           - open Sponsor 55 tickets for required work
               - based on proposals
               - with updated estimates
           - make existing tickets children of Sponsor 55 parent tickets
       Other:
           - Ticket triage, backport deciding, quick code reviews
           - Python 3 reviews / helping new contributors

   Week of 10 February (actual):
       Take Time for:
           - Write Draft of Proposal 313: Relay IPv6 Statistics (#33159)
           - Revise Proposal 313 based on reviews
           -  Proposal 313 based on reviews
           - responding to emails
       Roadmap:
           - started opening Sponsor 55 tickets for required work
               - based on proposals
               - with updated estimates
           - made some existing tickets children of Sponsor 55 parent tickets
           - found a relay bandwidth stats bug that probably affects IPv6 stats (#33201)
       Other:
           - Ticket triage, backport deciding, quick code reviews
           - Python 3 reviews / helping new contributors

    Need help with:
        - Please review Proposal 313: Relay IPv6 Statistics: (for Sponsor 55)
          https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2020-February/014158.html

jnewsome:
    week of 02/03 (2020-W06) (planned):
    week of 02/03 (2020-W06) (actual):