[tor-project] Tor Browser Team Meeting Notes, 10 February 2020

Matthew Finkel sysrqb at torproject.org
Tue Feb 18 15:37:07 UTC 2020

Hello everyone,

Last week we held our weekly team meeting. The meeting log is available

The meeting wasn't very interesting. We briefly discussed rebasing Tor
Browser patches onto the upcoming Firefox version, and we moved many
tickets from this month onto our roadmap later in the year. This will
give us needed flexibility for migrating onto the release train.

Meeting notes:
    - Gitlab Service Admin
    - Friendly reminder about updating points and self-assigning tickets you're working on :)

mcs and brade:
    Last week:
        - Sponsor 27 work:
            - Followed up with the Network Team on issues that acat found while reviewing #19757.
            - Revised our patch for #19757 (permanent storage of client auth keys).
            - Continued to work on #19251 (onion services error page).
        - Requested peer feedback for Feedback Cycle 2020-1.
    This week/upcoming:
        - More work on #19251 (onion services error page).
        - Review strings and comment in #33035 (create strings for onion service error pages).

    Last weeks:
        - Mozilla AllHands
        - FOSDEM
        - #33035 (tor socks error code strings)
        - #32645 (new onion toolbar icons)
    This week:
        - verify #32645 patch actually works in all scenarios
        - begin assigned tor browser migration work
        - follow up with noscript folks regarding changes for per-site settings
        - exorcise ghosts from my build machine

Jeremy Rand:
    Last week:
        - Sent draft tor-talk post to Matt for review.
        - Merged a bunch of upstream Electrum stuff to Electrum-NMC (upstream decided to totally rewrite their transaction parsing code, so I got to rewrite all of Namecoin's patches to transaction parsing).
        - More time-wasting fun with funding proposal stuff.
    This week:
        - Post the tor-talk thread after Matt finishes reviewing it.
        - Hopefully see some feedback from users.

    Last week:
        - Revised #31395 (Remove inline <script> in aboutTor.xhtml) and #32767 (Remove Disconnect search).
        - Progress with #28005 PoC implementation (https-everywhere .onion redirects)
    This week:
        - Start rebasing Tor Browser patches onto mozilla-central.
        - Have some #28005 builds for UX review.

     - The Ion/Baseline JIT patch is r+-ed. I will land it this week.
       Feel free to backport and take as desired.
     - I have not done nothing on reproducible builds in TC, but I have not done much.

    Last week:
        - Made patches for #33200 (Reproducibility issue with bookmarks.html on macOS) and #33177 (Build of tbb-9.0.5-build1 fails for Android)
        - Helped with build of the new release
        - Improved script for #25102 (Add script to sign nightly build mar files, generate update-responses xml and publish the new version)
        - Looked at blog comments
    This week:
        - Help with signing/publishing of new releases, build of alpha
        - Now that #32800 is done, get everything ready for nightly updates
        - Try to help with #32650 (Check translations for bogus characters)
        - Review #32456 (Add a question in support.tpo about anti-virus reporting a virus in Tor Browser)

    Last week:
        Mostly release prep
    This week:
        Finishing release prep and releasing updates
        Triaging tickets

   Last Week:
   - #32991/32992/28764: - LZMA and ZSTD, OpenSSL. Verified that Shared Libraries in Android are not working when we start a tor process. Moved to static compiles.
   - #28763 - Tor Build for Android - Fixed pkg-config issue
   - #28704: Added Android NDK path to system path in android-toolchain. Various projects need to be able to locate host triple versions of tools.
   - #30767: Custom obfs4 bridge - added patch to to tor-onion-proxy (still need to test behavior on device)
   - Some investigations to fenix
   - Submitted MR to TOPL for #32501 and #30767 so we can remove patches
   - Summary: Verified Android tor running on device with statically compiled lama, zstd, openssl, lib event.
   This week:
   - Check in changes and commit on issues related to tor Android (in branch for review by 02/10). Respond to review comments
   - What are next priorities?

    Last week:

        - Tor Browser Team Monthly reports December and January

        - Roadmapping with sysrqb

    This week:

    - S27 work completion report

    - Cleaning up February tickets


More information about the tor-project mailing list