[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 13 Feb 2020

Philipp Winter phw at torproject.org
Thu Feb 13 18:58:45 UTC 2020

Here are our meeting minutes:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2020/tor-meeting.2020-02-13-17.59.html

And here is our meeting pad:

Anti-censorship work meeting pad
--------------------------------

Next meeting: Thursday February 13th 18:00 UTC

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 18:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress).

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.

== Links to Useful documents ==

    * Our anti-censorship roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/roadmap/boards
        * Our roadmap consists of a subset of trac tickets. For 2020 Q1, the trac keyword is anti-censorship-roadmap-2020Q1
    * The anti-censorship team's wiki page: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/AntiCensorshipTeam
    * Past meeting's notes can be found at: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/
    * GetTor's roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/groups/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/-/boards
    * Tickets that need reviews: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=%5eCircumvention&col=id&col=summary&col=component&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=reviewer&order=priority
    * Projects from sponsors we are working on:
        * https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/Sponsor30
        * https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/Sponsor28

-------------------------
--- February 13th 2020 --
-------------------------

== Announcements ==

    *

== Discussion ==

    * shall we use un-reviewed yet complete translations in snowflake? see #33132 and #32035
    * an update on the discussion on tor library size from meeting with TGP this week?

== Actions ==

    *

== Interesting links ==

    *

== Updates ==

Name:
    This week:
        - What you worked on this week.
    Next week:
        - What you are planning to work on next week (related to anti-censorship work).
    Help with:
         - Something you may need help with.

Hiro: (last updated before 2020-01-09)
    Started restoring Twitter Responder.
        When retrieving tweets I need to check for new tweets only otherwise Gettor will end up responding to old back log and already answered messages. <-- is this #27330 ?
    Next Week:
      - Work on gettor specs <-- Is this #3781?
      - More with review of strings and website content and translation

phw:
  This week (2020-02-13):
        * Merged #32860 (make obfs4 Docker image smaller).
        * Still more work on Python 3 port. Should be almost done now. Test-deployment on polyanthum will probably highlight more issues though.
        * Created OONI pull request to add our latest default bridge to their scan targets.
        * Wrote BridgeDB "what's new?" blog post with Steph's help: https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-bridgedb-093
        * Attended Sponsor 30 sync meeting.
        * Filed #33299 (retire obfs3, scramblesuit, and fte from BridgeDB) and wrote a patch.
        * Closing #33007 now that our bridge campaign retrospective is done.
  Next week:
        * Hopefully finish Python 3 port
        * Write a summary of our current BridgeDB distribution mechanisms and brainstorm new ones
  Help with:
        * #33299

Gaba: (2020-02-13)
   Last week (Feb 13th):
        *
    This week (planned):
            * prioritize roadmap into gitlab

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2019-02-13
Last week:
    - reviewed #30716, #32860, #19026
    - finished up fixes for gettor's rate limiting (#33123)
    - moved gettor's database library from twisted and wrote some tests for gettor's database functions (#33193)
    - have GetTor ignore quoted help message (#23225)
    - worked with emmapeel on updates to snowflake's translation (#33132 and #33306)
    - grant revisions
    - discussed snowflake scaling for a future grant
    - checked out most recent snowflake + turbotunnel changes and dogfood

This week:
    - UI mock up for snowflake throughput check (#32938)
    - Aggregate and write up a report of snowflake throughput changes
    - work on snowflake proxy-go issues (#33211)
    - write up snowflake scaling thoughts for mailing list
    - send grant to some external reviewers
    - pick up another gettor ticket

Needs help with:
    - review of #31971 (from tor browser team, in progress)
    - review of #33193 and #33123 (hiro)
    - review of #23225 (phw?)

arlolra: 2020-02-13
    Last week:
        - merged the client part of #19026
    Next week:
        - maybe the proxy parts of #19026
        - pick another task?
    Help with:
        -

dcf: 2020-02-13
    Last week:
        - did Let's Encrypt upgrade for Snowflake bridge (#32964)
        - made Tor Browser builds with Snowflake and Turbo Tunnel
            - https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/anti-censorship-team/2020-February/000069.html
            - https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/anti-censorship-team/2020-February/000070.html
    Next week:
        - open ticket to deploy the turbotunnel Snowflake bridge
    Help with:

cjb: 2019-02-13
   Last week:
    - not much time!
   Next week:
    - saw another request for an Android proxy app with golang snowflake code go by,
      am up for helping getting that going.
   Help with:
    - still waiting for review of #31011, will make it a PR on GitHub

agix:2020-02-13
    Last week:
        -Struggled with setting up Bridgedb, finally got it up running, #31967 basiclly fixed
    Next week:
        -Test #31967 fix, Fix #31876
    Help with:
        -Is there a certain test specification I should follow for testing fixes?