[tor-project] [Notes] Re: S30 Meeting on Tuesday February 11th 2020

Gaba gaba at torproject.org
Tue Feb 11 18:50:39 UTC 2020

El 2/10/20 a las 3:41 PM, Gaba escribió:
> Hi!
>
> We are meeting on February 11th for the S30 project [0]. The
> meeting with be at 1800 UTC in #tor-meeting, irc.oftc.net
>
> cheers, gaba
>
> [0]
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/Sponsor30

Next Meeting:  March 10th ,18 UTC

Here are the notes from meeting on February 11th:

Agenda February 11th

    Status (what you are working on, what is your plan for next month,
anything you need help with)

# OONI

## What we did in January 2020

### O1.1 Add support in OONI Probe for availability testing of the
circumvention tools Tor, obfs4proxy, and Psiphon
- - obfs4proxy reachability in probe-engine:
https://github.com/ooni/probe-engine/issues/90
- - Tor bridge reachability in probe-engine:
https://github.com/ooni/probe-engine/issues/2
- - Write tor experiment (episode 1):
https://github.com/ooni/probe-engine/issues/226
- - Design the circumvention tool tests in the OONI Probe apps:
https://github.com/ooni/probe/issues/804
- - release probe-engine v0.5.0 with tor experiment:
https://github.com/ooni/probe-engine/issues/279
- - tor: add support for summary level keys for blocked bridges and
dir_auths: https://github.com/ooni/probe-engine/issues/292
- - probe-cli should support the new tor experiment:
https://github.com/ooni/probe/issues/973
- - Design the UI for the Tor test: https://github.com/ooni/probe/issues/9
67
- - Implement Tor test UI in Probe Desktop:
https://github.com/ooni/probe/issues/975
- - Improve the UX of the Tor test results in OONI Probe Desktop:
https://github.com/ooni/probe/issues/990

### O1.2 Analyze collected censorship circumvention tool test results
and integrate them into OONI Explorer and the OONI API
- - Present findings in Explorer for Psiphon:
https://github.com/ooni/explorer/issues/332
- - Rewrite list_measurements supporting listing tor and psiphon test
results: https://github.com/ooni/backend/issues/160
- - Write data processing logic for scoring psiphon results:
https://github.com/ooni/backend/issues/209
- - Fastpath: score new Tor tests:
https://github.com/ooni/backend/issues/293
- - Almost finished present findings in Explorer for Tor:
https://github.com/ooni/explorer/issues/333

### O1.3 Improve censorship circumvention tool methodology to include
metrics that are also related to the performance of the tool
- - Worked on several improvements for the NDT7 speed test:
https://github.com/ooni/probe-engine/issues/70 &
https://github.com/ooni/probe-engine/pull/95 &
https://github.com/ooni/probe-engine/pull/57 &

### O1.4 Make OONI Probe’s reporting logic more resilient to censorship
- - Fix Unreachable measurements due to bouncer failure:
https://github.com/ooni/probe/issues/855
- - Discuss what to do if an IP lookup fails:
https://github.com/ooni/probe/issues/879

### O1.5 Develop OONI Probe orchestration logic that is specific to
circumvention tool testing
- - Add support for giving out addresses for Tor test:
https://github.com/ooni/orchestra/issues/82
(https://github.com/ooni/orchestra/pull/83)
- - Update canonical location of tor test targets:
https://github.com/ooni/backend/issues/299

## What we would like feedback on
- - OONI Probe Desktop app UX/UI of the Tor test results:
https://github.com/ooni/probe/issues/990 - i have it for this month -
antonela
- - OONI Explorer UX/UI of the Tor test results:
https://github.com/ooni/explorer/pull/393 - i have it for this month -
antonela
- - Testing and feedback of the OONI Probe Desktop app (or CLI)
particularly the Circumvention tool test results:
https://github.com/ooni/probe-desktop/releases &
https://github.com/ooni/probe-cli/releases

# Objective 2 - Ensure users in target countries have access to the
best Tor bridge options for circumventing censorship

O2.2 A1 -> Tor UX - Roadmapped to start working in April. -- antonela

* Re-generated BridgeDB CAPTCHA which resulted in an increase of
users' success rate. -- philipp
* Improved obfs4 bridge docker image by making it more lightweight and
experimenting with cross-architecture builds. -- philipp
* Worked on bridge campaign retrospective. -- philipp
* Started thinking about improving BridgeDB's email response. -- philipp
* Finished writing up process for distributing private bridges. -- phili
pp
* More talking to an NGO that agreed to help us test private bridges.
- -- philipp
* Fixed a race condition bug in bridgestrap, which will help BridgeDB
test bridges. -- philipp
* Deployed a few minor documentation fixes for BridgeDB. -- philipp
* The sysadmin team helped us move forward with monitoring
anti-censorship infrastructure. -- philipp

# Objective 3

A1 - Develop Tor user personas as a tool to understand users’ contexts
and mental models.

    Tor UX - OTF Fellow is traveling this month. Will report back and
we will work with personas in March. -- antonela

Bridgedb/ooni feedback loop

    https://bugs.torproject.org/32740 - phw summarizes discusion into
the ticket and will coordinate with OONI

    The process of getting data from ooni
https://bugs.torproject.org/32126

Updated timeline: https://nc.torproject.net/s/CifrkWwNfSip37w

Minutes
http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2020/tor-meeting.2020-02-11-18.00.
html

- --
Project Manager: Network, Anti-Censorship and Metrics teams
gaba at torproject.org
she/her are my pronouns
GPG Fingerprint EE3F DF5C AD91 643C 21BE  8370 180D B06C 59CA BD19