[tor-project] Notes from Vegas Meeting FEBRUARY 6 2020

Erin Wyatt ewyatt at torproject.org
Fri Feb 7 21:58:41 UTC 2020

VEGAS TEAM MEETING NOTES
FEBRUARY 6 2019:

+ NEW BUSINESS

Nickm:
- Everybody please keep an eye at the unapproved blog comments at https://blog.torproject.org/admin/content/comment/approval .  (No discussion needed)

GeKo:
-	Did we actually make progress on deciding what license/copyright line we want to use for code that we write during our job?
		Resolution: Not yet. It’s in ewyatt’s queue, she’ll follow up.

ewyatt:
-	Nickm question re: feedback process - change review period through January 31?
		Resolution: Sure, seems fine. ewyatt will send notice by email.
anarcat:
-	Postponed the Storm migration one week (but not more!) migrate your stuff *now* if you haven't done so already, see also https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/32390
-	Old data on nc.riseup.net (the old nextcloud instance) should have been destroyed on tuesday, but might still be around if you haven't moved everything yet https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/32391; let me know if you want to hear about the RFC process we are working on

gaba:
-	HELP. We will need gitlab service admins! please please please check with your teams to see who can help with it.  That would mean people that could:
	• have a shell account in the server where gitlab is running
	• able to start/stop service
	• able to upgrade the service
	• troubleshoot any problems with the service
	• get support from the sysadmin team <-- they will not be alone :)

+ GENERAL NOTES

Georg:
1. Learning a lot at Mozilla's All Hands meeting
2. Network health roadmapping
3. Getting up to speed with bad relay work
4. Getting up to speed with sbws
5. Did we actually make progress on deciding what license/copyright line we want to use for code that we write during our job?

Antonela:
1. Met Simply Secure with Gaba in Berlin to kick off the OTF Metrics project. Nina Vizz is going to work on this project.
2. Met Fiona to update her about our work with onions
3. Following up on some conversations around Berlin Allhands
4. Reviewing deliverables of 2019 S9 user research and planning 2020 Q1Q2 roadmapping
5. Writing ux team january report
6. Regular work in S27, following up with Tunde around S30 research, working in S30 OONI related tasks
7. Thinking about onion services, working on DRL community proposal
8. I'll be offline from Feb 13th to Feb 19th

Steph
1. Wrote an email to sponsors about Tor's media presence in 2019. Also published as a blog post
2. Inquiries: Interviewed with Tech Round. Talked to a student writing a story about the "dark web."
3. Working with Learning Lab. Answered questions for the writer who is working with us and had a follow up call to help outline the new page they're helping us write.
4. Coordinated Isa's Team Time.
5. Helping out with prep for the upcoming SF events.

anarcat
1. adopted sysadmin roadmap in the last TPA meeting, will be migrated to trac tomorrow but for now see https://help.torproject.org/tsa/roadmap/2020/
2. agreed to use an "RFC" process to decentralize and "asynchronise" decision making in the team, will be formulated formally tomorrow, let me know if you're interested to hear more
3. fixed hardware problems with new ganeti node and finished moving two VMs (including the scary check.tpo) off of an old server, which will be decomissioned after a delay, on tuesday
4. contacted various teams to followup on buster upgrades, need feedback from translation (https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/33110) and metrics about scheduling and planning (https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/33111) - progress followup here https://help.torproject.org/tsa/howto/upgrades/buster/#Per_host_progress
5. postponed the Storm migration one week (but not more!) migrate your stuff *now* if you haven't done so already, see also https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/32390
6. old data on nc.riseup.net (the old nextcloud instance) should have been destroyed on tuesday, but might still be around if you haven't moved everything yet https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/32391

Gaba
1. still roadmapping process for some teams - it will be faster next time
2. trying to figure out how to shutdown svn
3. saying bye bye to storm (for people that asked me about what we are using instead of wekan: we have been migrating to project boards in gitlab. please AMA)
4. requesting old data to get rid from nc.riseup.net
5. fosdem and sustain OSS last week - following up a few things from there
6. grant writing: DRL scalability and NLNET sbws
7. met with simply secure and antonela to kick off their work on the metrics data portal (they will be around irc ux channel and metrics team weekly meetings)
8. HELP. We will need gitlab service admins! please please please check with your teams to see who can help with it.  That would mean people that could:
	• have a shell account in the server where gitlab is running
	• able to start/stop service
	• able to upgrade the service
	• troubleshoot any problems with the service
	• get support from the sysadmin team <-- they will not be alone :)
9. today listening to Luciana Mocchi https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luciana_Mocchi

isabela:
1. Working on follow ups w/ foundations we met in January
2. Organizing SF in March, we will have a week full of meetings and events
3. Working on job descriptions with Erin
4. Did Tea Time at #tor-internal
5. Finalized MDF reports
6. Organizing onionize the web and there is no dark web strategies (together w/ stakeholders)
7. Updating Membership Program proposal

sarah:
1. Planning for San Fran and NYC events.
2. Helping with funding proposals/reports.
3. Working with Jon to take over his fundraising tasks.
4. Attended meetup with CiviCRM users.

gus:
1. Drafting our Call for Proposals to Tor Village in IFF
2. Organised Tor meetup in FOSDEM, and joining today in Tor Meetup Berlin - https://blog.torproject.org/tor-meetup-berlin-feb2020
3. We published Tor Browser for Android manual - https://tb-manual.torproject.org/mobile-tor/
4. Outreachy: wrote Cleopatra's feedback. Outreachy internship ends in March.
5. Roadmapping Community Team work.
6. Sponsor9 sync meeting with Antonela and Pili.
7. Working on Legal FAQ 2020 edition.

Nick:
1. Home internet is down today; using neighbors' wifi (with permission).  I am expecting an ISPtech to show up some time during this meeting or slightly before.  If they do, I'll be offline.
2. Everybody please keep an eye at the unapproved blog comments at https://blog.torproject.org/admin/content/comment/approval .  (No discussion needed)
3. 0.4.1 and 0.4.2 stable releases came out last week; new 0.4.3 alpha likely next week.
4. Sponsor 55 seems to be going well; teor is off to a good start writing proposals.
5. My schedule for this week and next is about 30% meeting time.  Not where it really ought to be :/

Alex:
1. Went to FOSDEM with some Tor folks:
    - Talked with Gaba and Juga about sbws and juga gave me an intro to all of it.
    - Spoke about Tor in the decentralized internet and privacy devroom. Room seemed full. [pili: it was the fullest I saw it! :) ]
2. Different smaller meetings with network team folks about ongoing work.
3. Ramping up my sbws understanding to help out there.
4. Working on 0.4.3 stuff right now.

Pili:
1. At FOSDEM last weekend
	•     - gaba and I gave a State of the Onion talk in the Internet track.
2. Finished GSoC application form, our list of projects is here: https://community.torproject.org/gsoc
	•     - let me know if you see anything that needs changing/updating
3. Face to face meetings with Gus and Antonela in Brussels to organise roadmaps and S9 work
4. Will start working on DRL proposal with Al soon
5. Attended a really good usability testing workshop in Brussels, have started documenting and creating templates in gitlab for proposing usability tests: https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/ux/research/blob/master/.gitlab/issue_templates/UsabilityTestingPlan.md
6. Working on December and January Browser team monthly report
7. Lots of meetings this week...

Philipp:
1. Lots of interaction with bridge operators
	• - Got in touch with all operators from our bridge campaign from last year
	• - About to send tshirts to our default bridge ops
2. Business as usual with Sponsor 30 and 28; still grant writing for NSF TTP grant
3. More work on docker obfs4 image. Also trying to create an official "torproject" docker organisation, to host our images

Erin:
1. Office move done
2. Personnel stuff; Working on job descriptions, plan to get out ASAP
3. Working on catching up with all the things
4. Re: feedback process - change review period through January 31? (nickm question)

Karsten:
1. Made more graphs for future scalability and performance experiments (#33076) and the torflow/sbws transition (#33077).

Matt:
1. Mozilla All-Hands Last Week
2. Tor Browser releases next week
3. Beginning Tor Browser migration from ESR train to Release train
4. Beginning Android Tor Browser migration