[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 6 Feb 2020

Philipp Winter phw at torproject.org
Thu Feb 6 21:16:11 UTC 2020

Here's our meeting summary:

<http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2020/tor-meeting.2020-02-06-17.59.html>

And here's our meeting pad:

Anti-censorship work meeting pad
--------------------------------

Next meeting: Thursday February 6th 18:00 UTC

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 18:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress).

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.

== Links to Useful documents ==

    * Our anti-censorship roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/roadmap/boards
        * Our roadmap consists of a subset of trac tickets. For 2020 Q1, the trac keyword is anti-censorship-roadmap-2020Q1
    * The anti-censorship team's wiki page: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/AntiCensorshipTeam
    * Past meeting's notes can be found at: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/
    * GetTor's roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/groups/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/-/boards
    * Tickets that need reviews: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=%5eCircumvention&col=id&col=summary&col=component&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=reviewer&order=priority
    * Projects from sponsors we are working on:
        * https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/Sponsor30
        * https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/Sponsor28

-------------------------
--- February 6th 2020 ---
-------------------------

== Announcements ==

    *

== Discussion ==

    * Brainstorm if we want a GetTor rate limit (#33123), and if so, how we should implement it?
    * The Tor Browser team mentioned wanting to discuss Tor Browser with Snowflake
    * Team retrospective (add what went well and what can be improved and +1 on other items you agree with) (over what time period?)
        * What went well?
            * We have increasingly clear responsibilities about who takes care of what.
            * For many projects we now have more than one maintainer, which minimises single points of failure.
            * Code review has been timely and of high quality.
            * Our survival guides are very helpful and reduce anxiety.
            * Interaction with volunteers have been going well. Our team is growing!
        * What can be improved?
            * We need to get better at presenting our work to users.
                * Let's do more blog post about software releases, and maybe "ask us anything" types of posts.
                * We also need posts like "the state of circumvention in China"
            * We're a bit ouf of the loop on what other organisations are working on related to anti-censorship.
            * We need to stay updated on recent studies, third party tools, and concerns that users have.

== Actions ==

    * Karsten is wondering what OONI data from the "Tor Test" should go on Metrics:
        * https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/32126#comment:4

== Interesting links ==

    * https://magma.lavafeld.org
        * "An open-licensed, collaborative repository that provides the first publicly available research framework for people working to measure information controls and online censorship activities. In it, users can find the resources they need to perform their research more effectively and efficiently."
    * https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-chow-httpbis-proxy-discovery-00
    * https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nottngham-web-proxy-desc-01

== Updates ==

Name:
    This week:
        - What you worked on this week.
    Next week:
        - What you are planning to work on next week (related to anti-censorship work).
    Help with:
         - Something you may need help with.

Hiro: (last updated before 2020-01-09)
    Started restoring Twitter Responder.
        When retrieving tweets I need to check for new tweets only otherwise Gettor will end up responding to old back log and already answered messages. <-- is this #27330 ?
    Next Week:
      - Work on gettor specs <-- Is this #3781?
      - More with review of strings and website content and translation

phw:
  This week (2020-02-06):
        * Reviewed #33002
        * Again, more work on porting BridgeDB to Python 3.
        * Filed #33122 for GetTor; realised that the problem actually was #33123.
        * Investigated how BridgeDB's new CAPTCHAs affect both users and bots (#24607).
        * Approved blog comments.
        * Compiled team report for January.
        * A bit more grant writing (fixed references and added my bio).
        * Addressed feedback for #31872 and closed ticket. Filed #33145 as follow-up ticket.
        * Offered t-shirts to our default bridge operators.
        * Asked around who runs noisebridge's default bridge for the umpteenth time.
        * Fixed a synchronisation issue in bridgestrap and wrote unit tests for it.
        * Merged #31427 and released BridgeDB 0.9.3.
        * Suggested a fix for #30941.
        * Summarised the current state of private distribution in #28526.
        * Learned more about building docker images for multiple architectures, paving the way for a Raspberry Pi image (#33088, #32860).
        * Booked flight to Austria to give talk at securityforum.at. Talk title is "Better online security and privacy with the Tor network"
        * Tried to get ahold of the docker "torproject" organisation which will allow us to publish official docker images (#33162).
            * Someone registered it five years ago and didn't do anything with the account :/
  Next week:
        * Hopefully finish Python 3 port
        * Write a summary of our current BridgeDB distribution mechanisms and brainstorm new ones
  Help with:
        * #30941
        * #32860

Gaba: (out at Tor meetup)
   Last week (Feb 3rd):
        * fosdem and sustain oss
        * sponsor 30 report
        * imported tickets into roadmap and added info to team wiki page: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/AntiCensorshipTeam
    This week (planned):
            * prioritize roadmap into gitlab

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2019-02-06
Last week:
    - deployed localization fix for gettor (#33002)
    - reviewed #33038, #31872, #31427, #19026
    - implemented a fix for GetTor's rate limiter (#33123)
    - updated snowflake webextension with new translations
    - review of websocket conn overhall (#33144)
    - grant revisions
    - got caught up on turbotunnel and responded with some feedback
    - added some improvements to Snowbox

This week:
    - UI mock up for snowflake throughput check (#32938)
    - started some recurring throughput tests for snowflake (#32545)
    - Aggregate and write up a report of snowflake throughput changes
    - send grant to some external reviewers
    - maybe pick up gettor email body localization ticket (#28233)
    - write some tests for #33123
    - reviews of #30716 and #32860

Needs help with:
    - review of #31971 (from tor browser team, in progress)

arlolra: 2020-02-06
    Last week:
        - started on #19026
        - read up on turbo tunnel
    Next week:
        - continue with #19026
    Help with:
        -

dcf: 2020-02-06
    Last week:
        - turbo tunnel in Snowflake
            - https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/anti-censorship-team/2020-February/000059.html
            - https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/anti-censorship-team/2020-February/000063.html
            - https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/anti-censorship-team/2020-February/000066.html
        - wrote up results of Azure data breach notification
            - https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/anti-censorship-team/2020-February/000060.html
        - Snowflake refactoring and code quality improvements (#33144, thanks cohosh for review)
        - archived snowflake-webextension-0.2.1
    Next week:
        - open ticket to deploy the turbotunnel Snowflake bridge
        - work on a Tor Browser package with turbotunnel Snowflake client
        - do Let's Encrypt upgrade for Snowflake bridge (#32964)
    Help with:

cjb: 2019-02-06
   Last week:
    - put up a v2 patch for #31011, still needs review
    - found out more about snowflake+android
   Next week:
    - thinking about offering help with snowflake+android, not sure whether we have
      a strong preference between using golang or JS for the proxy code
   Help with:
    - review of #31011

agix:2020-02-06
    Last week:
        -Bumped into a few problems while trying to setup bridgedb
    Next week:
        -Solve the bridgedb issues and finally fix #31967
    Help with:
        -What the process of closing a ticket looks like / How do I commit my changes to an open ticket
        -Issues I had setting up bridgedb