[tor-project] Three Tor security goals for the network layer

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Wed Feb 5 07:52:06 UTC 2020

Hi folks,

I'm meeting with a group of systems professors this week to discuss
security at the network layer -- for example, how can backbone routers
help make the internet a safer place. I expect many of the professors
will talk about routing security, or scalability, or other "systems"-y
things -- maybe even including how we need accountability and tracking
in order to stop DDoS attacks.

I've written up the pitch for three angles that I think are important
and might otherwise be absent from the agenda:

(1) securing communications metadata
(2) preventing browser (application level) tracking
(3) resisting blocking (censorship)

I've posted the document at
https://freehaven.net/~arma/isat2020.pdf
and I'm attaching the files here too for posterity.

It's two pages -- one page for explaining the problems, one page for
"how can we do better?"

Feel free to reuse the text for your purposes, like grant proposals,
or explaining Tor to people, or whatever else it's useful for.

--Roger