[tor-project] January 2020 User Feedback Report

Enjeck Cleopatra patrathewhiz at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 18:14:42 UTC 2020

Hello!

Welcome to the *January 2020 user feedback report!* Hope the new year has
been exciting so far :D

TL;DR:

There is some user feedback that we haven't seen in previous months. Users
have gotten acquainted with the letterboxing feature and have the necessary
Windows dlls, so there are lesser reports on this.

- Reddit has some commonly-seen questions, as well as relatively new
questions. There are mostly questions about how to download Tor, Tor
Browser for Android, letterboxing, targeted ads while using Tor and
problems with Orbot.

## Common questions on Frontdesk

- How do I download/install Tor Browser?
- Why am I getting captcha/verification issues?
- Why does Tor Browser not launch?
- How do I fix "Tor exited unexpectedly" error?
- Why can't I access some websites on TB?
- Why can't I donate with Tor Browser
- How to fix "This app can't run on your PC.... " error
- How do I fix "Something went wrong. Tor is not working in this browser"
error?

## Most common questions of Reddit (/r/TOR)

- How do I download Tor?
- Why does Orbot not work/ Orbot stuck at "Orbot is starting"?
- How do I remove the gray bars?
- Tor for Android?
- Should I install add-ons/extensions?
- How do I fix tab crashes?
- How to save browsing history in TBA?
- Should I use (certain) extensions/add-ons with TB?
- Beginner guide to Tor?
- Why do I still get targeted ads when using Tor?

## TBA Reviews & Feedback on Google Play Store

The average review score has risen from *4.2 stars* to *4.3 stars*. Below
are some common problems mentioned in the by users in Google Play reviews:

   - Can't save/download photos or videos

   - Can't access some onion links/ websites.

   - Crashes all the time/force stops.

   - Browsing speed is very slow.

   - "Proxy server is refusing connections" error.

   - TBA needs an adblocker

## Most common stack exchange tags

anonymity: 6 this month
security: 6 this month
onion-routing: 5 this month
relays: 5 this month
exit-relays: 5 this month
hidden-services: 5 this month
tor-browser-bundle: 4 this month
proxy: 4 this month
android: 4 this month

## Notable bugs, fixes, & issues mentioned by users

   - Blog comment [1] - Tor doesn't works within China without upstream
   proxy.

   - Blog comment [2] - Click-to-play videos don't work on the Tor Project
   blog in Safer mode. A ticket has been created at [3] - OPEN.

   - #32997 [4] - Captcha error on bridges.torproject.org - CLOSED as
   duplicate.

   - #33017 [5] - Tor-Browser: NoScript configuration is not reset after
   New Identity - OPEN.

   - #32877 [6] - Sandbox crash when reloading log configuration - CLOSED
   as duplicate.

## Annotations

1. https://blog.torproject.org/comment/286280#comment-286280
2. https://blog.torproject.org/comment/286439#comment-286439