[tor-project] January 2020 report for the Network Health team

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Mon Feb 3 14:00:09 UTC 2020

Hello!

We were excited to finally kick off the network health team in January
2020. It's a long overdue effort to complement our performance and
scalability work and coordinate a lot of other network health related
tasks. Check out our new team page[1] for more details about the general
topics we work on.

We were busy with getting our team work up to speed. We had a first
kick-off meeting[2] and have weekly team meetings[3] from now on to
coordinate our tasks. We started to work on our roadmap for the coming
weeks and months which we hope to finish this week.

Even though the month was work-wise shorter than usual (some folks took
a holiday at the begin of 2020 and were last week at the Mozilla All
Hands meeting) there was not just work for setting up team processes to
do last month but code related tasks, too.

We started to move all our network health projects to our Gitlab
instance[4], a process that will continue this month. Furthermore, we
started to investigate and solve actual issues, ranging from exit nodes
failing to resolve DNS[5] to working with the directory authorities to
resolve the ongoing high load on them.[6]

For February we plan to further work on the previously mentioned
tickets[5][6] and follow-up with tasks from our roadmap.

Georg

[1]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkHealthTeam
[2]