[tor-project] LAST CALL: Trac shutdown, data destroyed in 30 days

Antoine Beaupré anarcat at torproject.org
Tue Dec 29 21:31:34 UTC 2020

Hi,

TL;DR: Trac has been shutdown and will be destroyed soon.

This has now been done: trac.torproject.org redirects to GitLab, and the
original virtual host hosting Trac has been shutdown. The disks will be
destroyed in 30 days (on Thu Jan 28 20:54:00 2021 UTC), and the backups
will be destroyed in 180 days (on Sun Jun 27 21:23:00 2021 UTC).

It has just become harder to restore anything from Trac. But it will
become much, much harder as time goes. So, really, if there is anything
missing, do let us know before the *first* deadline, because restoring
from backups might involve reverse-engineering the Trac storage
mechanisms (database? file attachments?) or maybe even reinstalling the
entire VM.

Or you would be too late and the data will just be gone. Nostalgics and
nervous archivists are welcome to browse the internet archive copy:

https://web.archive.org/web/2/https://trac.torproject.org/

If there's anything there that you can't find in GitLab:

https://gitlab.torproject.org/

or in the Legacy project:

https://gitlab.torproject.org/legacy/trac/

... issues:

https://gitlab.torproject.org/legacy/trac/-/issues

or wiki:

https://gitlab.torproject.org/legacy/trac/-/wikis/home

... NOW is the time to speak, or be silent forever.

A.