[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 03 Dec, 2020

Cecylia Bocovich cohosh at torproject.org
Thu Dec 3 17:39:42 UTC 2020

Hey everyone,

Here is our meeting log:


And our meeting pad:

Anti-censorship work meeting pad

Next meeting: Thursday December 3rd 16:00 UTC

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 16:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC
(channel is logged while meetings are in progress)

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.

== Links to Useful documents ==

    Our anti-censorship roadmap:


    The anti-censorship team's wiki page:


    Past meeting notes can be found at:


    Tickets that need reviews:  from sponsors we are working on:

    All needs review tickets:

    Sponsor 30





    Sponsor 28

    must-do tickets:

    possible tickets:

    Anti-censorship related tickets that we want other teams to fix:

    https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-anti-censorship-tickets-keep <-- it
will be moved into gitlab with TPO labels <-- do we still need this? The
label is 'for anticensorship team'

    Public bug-reporting pad:


== Announcements ==

    https://bridges.torproject.org/status?id=FINGERPRINT now online

    Tor bridges will log this URL to help operators figure out if their
bridge works.

    Currently only works for obfs2, obfs3, obfs4, and scramblesuit; not

== Discussion ==

== Actions ==

    Take a look at our monthly report and add/modify content as you see fit:


== Interesting links ==

== Reading group ==

    We will discuss "Poking a Hole in the Wall: Efficient
Censorship-Resistant Internet Communications by Parasitizing on WebRTC"
on Dec 3


    Questions to ask and goals to have:

    What aspects of the paper are questionable?

    Are there immediate actions we can take based on this work?

    Are there long-term actions we can take based on this work?

    Is there future work that we want to call out, in hopes that others
will pick it up?

== Updates ==

    This week:
        - What you worked on this week.
    Next week:
        - What you are planning to work on next week.
    Help with:

         - Something you need help with.

  This week (2020-12-03):

    Made it possible to look up resource status by hashed fingerprint.


    Brainstormed ways to stream bridge updates to polyanthum.


    Deployed Prometheus metrics for bridgestrap. They are publicly



    Wrote a patch that makes Snowflake's broker order its snowflake-ips
metrics by value.


    Made rdsys's supported resources configurable.


    Improved bridgestrap's metrics to make them more in line with what
Prometheus recommends.


    Wrapped up bridgestrap deployment.


    Wrote November 2020 report.

    Started implementing metrics for rdsys.


  Next week:

    Reach out to a few folks to have emma run in different places.

    Deploy bridgestrap and rdsys, and expose bridge status page.

    Progress on Salmon.

  Help with:



cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2020-12-03
Last week:
    - created tor-browser-build!129
    - reviewed snowflake-mobile!16
    - reviewed bridgestrap!3
    - created snowflake#40023 and a fix snowflake!20
    - created snowflake!21 for snowflake#40018
    - did some work on multiplexing (snowflake#25723)
    - worked on avoiding double delays (snowflake#34080)
    - wrote probetest installation and survival guides:


    - sponsor 28 meetings
This week:
    - continue to monitor snowflake stats
    - Figure out why we still have unknown proxies
    - follow up on progress towards a telegram bot for gettor
    - have broker inform proxies when to poll (snowflake#25598)
    - Finish work on avoiding double delays (snowflake#34080)
    - Continue snowflake multiplexing work (snowflake#25723)
    - Review snowflake!22
Needs help with:
    - review of snowflake!21

juggy :
    This week:
        - Got very basic "suggested readings" list up and running here :
    Next week:
        - Keep studying BridgeDB to write architectural overview
    Help with:
        - Open issues here
(https://github.com/jugheadjones10/anti-censorship-reading ) for
papers/resources/readings that you think might be useful for newcomers

arlolra: 2020-10-29

    Last week:


    Next week:

    - getting back up to speed

    - follow ups to #33365

    - start on #31201

    Help with:


dcf: 2020-12-03

    Last week:

    - archived snowflake-webextension-0.5.2

    - reviewed client NAT type reclassification

    - reviewed Snowflake client loop restructuring

    Next week:

    Help with:

Antonela: 2020-08-27

    This week:

    - Wrapping Babatunde's research on the use of circumvention tools
during internet censorship in Africa. Wrapping Personas for s30 with it.

    For september:

    - We are planning interviews with users in China to run our bridges
discovery issues script in real time. We discussed to include TBA +
snowflake as a task for users to run over a week or two and report back.


    - I still have bridges.tpo to lektor issue open

    - More work on UX/UI for TB 10.0/10.5

    - Review Salmon related tickets (im late with it!)


    Last week:

    -Gathered ideas for httpt issue #4

    -Dug deeper into Go (found some nice resources)

    -Read this weeks paper

    Next week:

    -Find new rdsys ticket

    Help with:

    -Review of

    -(Optional) Some feedback on

hanneloresx: 2020-10-22

    Last week:

    - Took break to focus on work

    Next week:

    - #32117: Look at CAPTCHA success rate for users from the US across
different types of bridges

    Help with:


thymbahutymba: 2020-04-02
    Last week:
        - CI/CD pipeline for multiarch docker images, which has a problem
          with the apt tor version even though the apt repository have been
          changed into the Dockerfile.
    Next week:
    Help with:

HashikD: 2020-11-19

    This week:


    Next week:

    - Research on how to implement a STUN check on Android.

    Help with: -

More information about the tor-project mailing list