[tor-project] You're invited: Tor's PrivChat | Friday 8/28 @ 17:00 UTC

Al Smith smith at torproject.org
Fri Aug 21 21:54:01 UTC 2020

Hello Tor,

The Tor Project's second edition of PrivChat
(https://torproject.org/privchat) is taking place next Friday, August
28, and you're invited.

PrivChat is a fundraising event series held to raise donations for the
Tor Project. Through PrivChat, we bring you important information
related to what is happening in tech, human rights, and internet freedom
by convening experts for a chat with our community.

*What: *PrivChat | The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly of Censorship
Circumvention
*When: *August 28 @ 1:00pm Eastern, 10:00am Pacific, 17:00 UTC
*Where:* The Tor Project's YouTube channel
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOOChyMCZH4)

*// The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly of Censorship Circumvention //*
Every year, internet censorship increases globally. From network level
blocking to nation-wide internet blackouts, governments and private
companies have powerful tools to restrict information and stop
connection between people. Many people, groups, and organizations are
doing innovative work to study, measure, and fight back against internet
censorship--and they are helping millions of people connect more
regularly and safely to the internet. Despite these successes, we're
faced with well-funded adversaries that have billions of dollars to
spend on censorship mechanisms, and the arms race is ongoing.

The second edition of PrivChat with Tor will be about the Good, the Bad
and the Ugly that is happening in the front lines of censorship
circumvention. In a world where censorship technology is increasingly
sophisticated and bought and sold between nations, so is our creativity
to measure it and build tools to bypass it, as well as the willingness
of people to fight back. But is it enough? What are the barriers facing
the people and organizations fighting for internet freedom?

*// Host //*
Cory Doctorow
Electronic Frontier Foundation, MIT

*// **Participants**//*
Felicia Anthonio
Campaigner, #KeepItOn Lead at Access Now

Vrinda Bhandari
Of Counsel - Litigation, Internet Freedom Foundation

Cecylia Bocovich
Developer, The Tor Project

Arturo Filastò
Project Lead & Engineer, OONI

*PrivChat is free to attend.* If you get value out of these events and
you like Tor, please consider becoming a monthly donor. Reliable,
predictable support is the best way to ensure Tor remains strong and stable.

Our goal with PrivChat is to build a two-way support system. You will
get access to information from leading minds thinking about and working
on privacy, technology, and human rights. And the Tor Project will be
more agile in our development as a result of your support, allowing us
to respond more rapidly to increasing surveillance and censorship
threats (and host more PrivChats)!

Cheers,
Al

--