[tor-project] Anti-censorship team monthly report: July 2020
phw at torproject.org
Mon Aug 10 18:37:42 UTC 2020
Here's the July 2020 report of Tor's anti-censorship team:
* Rolled out a feature to match up Snowflake proxies and clients based
on their NAT type. This will drastically improve performance for
Snowflake clients behind restrictive NATs.
* Added more STUN servers to default configuration in Tor Browser. This
solves two issues: it allows clients to perform NAT type discovery to
be matched up with more compatible proxies, and it unblocks Snowflake
in areas that block access to Google's STUN servers.
* Adapted Snowflake CI to the new GitLab instance.
* Investigated proxy-go timeouts.
* Fixed a small bug that could cause infinite hangs in Snowflake proxies
* Worked on a docker container for easy deployment of Snowflake proxies.
* Moved forward with our Android app UI.
* Fixed a critical bug that prevented BridgeDB from reloading
bridge descriptors every 30 minutes, as it's supposed to. This bug
significantly delayed the time until a new bridge was handed out to
users. Hopefully, the patch will result in bridge operators seeing
* We are spending an increasing amount of time planning and
experimenting with a reimplementation of BridgeDB. The
reimplementation will make it easier to integrate new components like
bridgestrap and new distributors like Salmon.
* Added internal metrics to BridgeDB's metrics. You can find the latest
internal metrics here:
* Wrote a patch that helps BridgeDB take into account bridge
reachability measurements from wolpertinger.
* Fixed incorrect and missing parts in BridgeDB's metrics specification.
* Fixed a broken link in BridgeDB's README and ported BridgeDB's "make
pylint" target to Python 3.
* Fixed a bug that would confuse BridgeDB when it dealt with Gmail's
* Made progress on creating a research plan for understanding the issues
that users run into when interacting with BridgeDB.
* Simplified bridgestrap's code base and fixed a bug in its cashing
* Merged a volunteer-provided bridge setup guide for Windows.
More information about the tor-project