[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 23 Apr 2020
phw at torproject.org
Thu Apr 23 18:14:25 UTC 2020
Here are our meeting minutes:
And here is our meeting pad:
Anti-censorship work meeting pad
Next meeting: Thursday April 23th 18:00 UTC
Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 18:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress).
== Goal of this meeting ==
Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.
== Links to Useful documents ==
* Our anti-censorship roadmap: https://gitlab.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/roadmap/boards
* Our roadmap consists of a subset of trac tickets. For 2020 Q1, the trac keyword is anti-censorship-roadmap-2020Q1
* Next planning session: last week of April
* The anti-censorship team's wiki page: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/AntiCensorshipTeam
* Past meeting notes can be found at: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/
* GetTor's roadmap: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/-/boards
* Tickets that need reviews: from sponsors we are working on:
* Anti-censorship related tickets that we want other teams to fix:
--- April 23th 2020 --
== Announcements ==
* We've now officially split snowflake into two repositories
* Go implementation: gitweb.torproject.org/pluggable-transports/snowflake.git/
* Web-based proxy code: gitweb.torproject.org/pluggable-transports/snowflake-webext.git/
* Kyle, the researcher who is investigating Snowflake's network fingerprint, has found differences in Snowflake's DTLS handshake (different offered extensions) relative to Facebook Messenger, Hangouts, and Discord. He is planning to file a ticket with details.
== Discussion ==
== Actions ==
== Interesting links ==
== Reading group ==
* We will discuss "MassBrowser: Unblocking the Censored Web for the Masses, by the Masses" on April 30
* Questions to ask and goals to have:
* What aspects of the paper are questionable?
* Are there immediate actions we can take based on this work?
* Are there long-term actions we can take based on this work?
* Is there future work that we want to call out, in hopes that others will pick it up?
== Updates ==
- What you worked on this week.
- What you are planning to work on next week (related to anti-censorship work).
- Something you may need help with.
This week (2020-04-23):
* Offboarding meeting for Tor's exit scanner.
* Spent a bit of time looking into porting exitmap to Python 3.
* Reviewed #32912, #33835, and #31528.
* More improvements to script that tests BridgeDB's email autoresponder (#12802).
* Some organisational tasks (TTP grant, DARPA PI meeting).
* Asked around wrt status of meek-azure.
* Moved forward with "censorship snapshot" (#28531).
* In the process, improved our lightweight censorship analyser, which can help with that (#30794).
* More thinking about feedback loop between BridgeDB and OONI.
* There are similarities to Salmon: we may want to implement a simplified Salmon for this task.
Last week (2020-03-30):
* not much related to anti-censorship
This week (planned):
* anti-censorship retrospective
cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2020-04-23
- lots of meetings
- discussed #28325 and #33953 with GeKo and boklm
- revised solution to snowflake proxy failures (#33666)
- revised and merged PRs to separate snowflake repos (#33593)
- merged cleanup of gettor scripts (#32912)
- popets things
- sponsor 28 evaluation work
- started looking at GetTor twitter responder and telegram bot work (#33036, #22011)
- get a tor browser android build running
- start working on snowflake for android (#28672)
- set up some kind of NAT topology testing suite (#25595)
- look into setting up a TURN server (#25596)
- figure out what we need to do to revive the twitter responder in GetTor (#33036)
- look at old GetTor mirrors (#33893)
Needs help with:
- review of snowflake proxy failure solution (#33666)
- Researched XUL and dug into previous conversations around integrating Tor Launcher into Tor Browser, why porting to Web Extensions might not work, etc.
- Implement audio captchas in moat, figure out how to reduce audio captcha request size
- Keep studying BridgeDB
- start on #33365
- review of #33593
- follow ups to #33365
- review of #33666
- start on #31201
- review of #33365
- reviewed Go 1.13 upgrade (#32027)
- commented on design for self-limiting failing proxies (#33666)
- respond to feedback on turbotunnel merge branch (#33745)
- branch for snowflake turbotunnel merge into Tor Browser
- share access to the snowflake broker CDN configuration (#30510)
- gonna be afk with kids
- Kept working on #33835
- finalize #33835
- finalize #31528
- more work on #5304 (PT outbound bind address)
- started looking at #29128 (assemble bridge line)
- more background research and work on s28/s30 tickets
- CI/CD pipeline for multiarch docker images, which has a problem
with the apt tor version even though the apt repository have been
changed into the Dockerfile.
More information about the tor-project