[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 16 Apr 2020
phw at torproject.org
Thu Apr 16 19:17:47 UTC 2020
Here are our meeting minutes:
And here is our meeting pad:
Anti-censorship work meeting pad
Next meeting: Thursday April 16th 18:00 UTC
Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 18:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress).
== Goal of this meeting ==
Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.
== Links to Useful documents ==
* Our anti-censorship roadmap: https://gitlab.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/roadmap/boards
* Our roadmap consists of a subset of trac tickets. For 2020 Q1, the trac keyword is anti-censorship-roadmap-2020Q1
* Next planning session: last week of April
* The anti-censorship team's wiki page: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/AntiCensorshipTeam
* Past meeting notes can be found at: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/
* GetTor's roadmap: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/-/boards
* Tickets that need reviews: from sponsors we are working on:
* Anti-censorship related tickets that we want other teams to fix:
--- April 16th 2020 --
== Announcements ==
== Discussion ==
* We have a new respository for the snowflake webextension repo: https://gitweb.torproject.org/snowflake-webext.git/
* Do we want this in pluggable-transports/ ?
* result of discussion: yes, under pluggable-transports/.
== Actions ==
== Interesting links ==
* Relates to the obfs4/extra25519 deprecation. "There I was, implementing my own crypto, with nothing to compare to. No reference implementation, no test vectors, nothing. For use cases that are best justified when the stakes are frighteningly high."
== Reading group ==
* We will discuss "SymTCP: Eluding Stateful Deep Packet Inspection with Automated Discrepancy Discovery" on April 16
* Questions to ask and goals to have:
* What aspects of the paper are questionable?
* Are there immediate actions we can take based on this work?
* Are there long-term actions we can take based on this work?
* Is there future work that we want to call out, in hopes that others will pick it up?
== Updates ==
- What you worked on this week.
- What you are planning to work on next week (related to anti-censorship work).
- Something you may need help with.
This week (2020-04-16):
* Created pull request for OONI to remove noisebridge01.
* Rebased and merged #17548 (removed PGP support from BridgeDB).
* Wrote monthly team report.
* Followed CovidCon stream a bit.
* Merged docker obfs4 bridge patch.
* More work on #32740 (BridgeDB feedback loop). Reached out to Censored Planet and ICLab for feedback.
* Closed #33464 after Yawning took care of missing dependency in his obfs4 repo.
* GSoC reviews and organisation.
Last week (2020-03-30):
* not much related to anti-censorship
This week (planned):
* anti-censorship retrospective
cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2020-04-16
- created ticket to track down very old GetTor mirrors (#33893)
- reviewed TurboTunnel merge branch (#33745)
- reviewed BridgeDB GPG patch (#17548)
- cleaned up old GetTor scripts (#32912)
- sorted out snowflake repository changes (#33593)
- implemented a partial solution for snowflake proxy failures (#33666)
- gave feedback on OONI/bridgedb feedback loop (#32740)
- reviewed GSoC proposals
- Resume obfs4 tests (#31701, #32657)
- see if i can help push snowflake for android along (#28672)
- set up some kind of NAT topology testing suite (#25595)
- look into setting up a TURN server (#25596)
- take a look at reviving the twitter responder in GetTor (#33036)
- look at old GetTor mirrors (#33893)
- review of #33365
Needs help with:
- review of GetTor scripts clean up (#32912) hiro?
- review of snowflake repository changes (#33593)
- review of snowflake proxy failure solution (#33666)
- Researched XUL and dug into previous conversations around integrating Tor Launcher into Tor Browser, why porting to Web Extensions might not work, etc.
- Implement audio captchas in moat, figure out how to reduce audio captcha request size
- Keep studying BridgeDB
- start on #33365
- review of #33593
- follow ups to #33365
- review of #33666
- start on #31201
- review of #33365
- made a snowflake turbotunnel merge branch and Tor Browser packages (#33745)
- archived WIP snowflake turbotunnel packages
- respond to feedback on turbotunnel merge branch (#33745)
- branch for snowflake turbotunnel merge into Tor Browser
- remember uniuri is not needed anymore too
- share access to the snowflake broker CDN configuration (#30510)
- gonna be afk with kids
- Worked on #33835 and submitted patch
- Implement feedback on #33835
- Check out check.torproject's code base
- more work on #5304 (PT outbound bind address)
- started looking at #29128 (assemble bridge line)
- more background research and work on s28/s30 tickets
- CI/CD pipeline for multiarch docker images, which has a problem
with the apt tor version even though the apt repository have been
changed into the Dockerfile.
Hiro: (last updated before 2020-01-09)
Started restoring Twitter Responder.
When retrieving tweets I need to check for new tweets only otherwise Gettor will end up responding to old back log and already answered messages. <-- is this #27330 ?
- Work on gettor specs <-- Is this #3781?
- More with review of strings and website content and translation
More information about the tor-project