[tor-project] March 2020 report for the Network Health team

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Tue Apr 7 10:25:41 UTC 2020

Hello!

Here come the highlights from the network health work in March:

1) We made substantial progress fixing the last critical bugs before we
can deploy sbws and replace Torflow as our bandwidth scanner. We,
additionally, mapped out the remaining work for April and started to
tackle that, too.

2) As I indicated in my previous status report I've been working on
detecting and resolving DNS resolution issues of exit relays[1]. I
managed to get the analysis done and contacted relay operators provided
they had a valid ContactInfo. Those, that were not able to fix their
setup got the bad exit flag which should improve performance for Tor
Browser users and other clients. It's been, however, only a first step
in helping exit operators diagnosing and resolving those DNS problems.
We need to do more work in this area in the future.

For April the only big item on our list is getting sbws in a shape so it
finally can replace Torflow as our bandwidth scanner.

Georg

[1] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/32864