[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 02 Apr 2020

Philipp Winter phw at torproject.org
Thu Apr 2 19:28:11 UTC 2020

Hi all,

Here are our meeting minutes:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2020/tor-meeting.2020-04-02-17.59.html

And here is our meeting pad:

Anti-censorship work meeting pad
--------------------------------

Next meeting: Thursday April 2nd 18:00 UTC

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 18:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress).

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.

== Links to Useful documents ==

    * Our anti-censorship roadmap: https://gitlab.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/roadmap/boards
        * Our roadmap consists of a subset of trac tickets. For 2020 Q1, the trac keyword is anti-censorship-roadmap-2020Q1
        * Next planning session: last week of April
    * The anti-censorship team's wiki page: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/AntiCensorshipTeam
    * Past meeting notes can be found at: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/
    * GetTor's roadmap: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/-/boards
    * Tickets that need reviews:  from sponsors we are working on:
        * https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/Sponsor30
        * https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/Sponsor28
    * Anti-censorship related tickets that we want other teams to fix:
        * https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-anti-censorship-tickets-keep

-------------------------
---  April  2nd 2020   --
-------------------------

== Announcements ==

    *

== Discussion ==

    *

== Actions ==

    *

== Interesting links ==

    * https://www.eff.org/pages/speaking-freely-ada-palmer
        * "The expurgation system was basically 'you may have this book, but you must go to page 210 and cross out paragraph 3—that paragraph is forbidden, but the rest of it you may have.'
        * "What you produce at the end doesn’t actually obliterate the content—you can put a light behind it and see the text, it’s not that hard—but what it means is that every time you turn the page and see the blacked-out parts, you’re reminded of power, reminded that there is an authority out there, lurking. And one of the most telling examples of this is that the content censored isn’t always what we’d think of as the most meaningful."

== Reading group ==

    * We will discuss "Detecting Probe-resistant Proxies" on April 2
        * https://censorbib.nymity.ch/#Frolov2020a
        * Questions to ask and goals to have:
            * What aspects of the paper are questionable?
            * Are there immediate actions we can take based on this work?
            * Are there long-term actions we can take based on this work?
            * Is there future work that we want to call out, in hopes that others will pick it up?

== Updates ==

Name:
    This week:
        - What you worked on this week.
    Next week:
        - What you are planning to work on next week (related to anti-censorship work).
    Help with:
         - Something you may need help with.

phw:
  This week (2020-04-02):
        * Merged and deployed #30317 (Update howto on https://bridges.torproject.org/ to take mobile Tor Browser into account)
        * Merged and deployed #33631 (BridgeDB doesn't allow bridges to change their distribution mechanism)
        * Implemented #29686 (filenames conflict on case-insensitive filesystems)
        * Implemented #30941 (Need better instructions for requesting bridges via email)
        * Released and deployed BridgeDB version 0.10.0.
  Next week:
        * Write a summary of our current BridgeDB distribution mechanisms and brainstorm new ones
        * Make BridgeDB report internal metrics (#31422)
        * Will have to tackle #32740 (Implement a feedback loop between BridgeDB and OONI)
  Help with:
        * https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/29686
        * https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/30941

Gaba: ()
   Last week (2020-03-30):
        * not much related to anti-censorship
    This week (planned):
        * anti-censorship retrospective

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2020-04-02
Last week:
    - Review of #19026 and #30941
    - worked with gsoc applicants on proposals
    - patch for #33693
    - commented on turbo tunnel merge ticket (#33745)
    - merged #23226 and closed a bunch of old/outdated GetTor tickets
    - did some debugging of proxy issues (#33666)
    - restarted recurring snowflake health tests (#32545)
    - removed 11 unnecessary projects from tor browser (#33761)
This week:
    - Resume obfs4 tests (#31701, #32657)
    - finish a slightly different variation of proxy webrtc test (?) (#32938)
    - see if i can help push snowflake for android along (#28672)
    - continue working on proxy issues (#33666)
    - take a look at reviving the twitter responder in GetTor (#33036)
    - review GSoC proposals
Needs help with:
    - merge of #33693 and #33761 (tb-team)
    - review of #33666

juggy :

    This week:
        - Worked on #10831 (made a sample webpage with audio captchas enabled)
    Next week:
        - Get #10831 reviewed and make improvements
        - Keep studying BridgeDB to write architectural overview
    Help with:
         - Reviewal of #10831

arlolra: 2020-03-26
    Last week:
        - merged #33665
    Next week:
        - maybe the proxy parts of #19026
        - start on #31201
    Help with:
        - review of #19026 but also answer the question there

dcf: 2020-04-02
    Last week:
        - filed ticket for snowflake turbotunnel merge (#33745)
        - reviewed snowflake dummy address change (#33693)
        - reviewed snowflake dependency reduction (#33761)
    Next week:
        - branches for snowflake turbotunnel merge
        - share access to the snowflake broker CDN configuration (#30510)
    Help with:

cjb: 2020-03-26
   Last week:
    - gonna be afk with kids
   Next week:
   Help with:

antonela: 2020-03-26
    - working with Babatunde's interviews (OTF Fellowship) from Nigeria and Cameroon. Shared preliminar notes with Tunde and Nah (#32811)
    - started to work on this user research document, we still stick to the plan of running it during April (#31870)
    Help with:
    - nothing yet :)

agix:2020-04-02
    Last week:
        - Patched #31528
        - Patched #33647
        - Read "Detecting Probe-resistant Proxies"
        - Started on #19997
    Next week:
        - Work on #19997
    Help with:
        -Questions regarding #19997:
        Are IPv6 addresses still removed from check.torproject.org?
        How many bridges can currently be requested by a user from a particular Tor exit address?

catalyst: 2020-04-02
    last week:
        - fixed a mis-merge in my #5304 rebase; still evaluating existing work
        - mostly unrelated CI stuff and reviews
    this week:
        - more work on #5304 and other s28/s30 tickets

thymbahutymba: 2020-04-02
    Last week:
        - CI/CD pipeline for multiarch docker images, which has a problem
          with the apt tor version even though the apt repository have been
          changed into the Dockerfile.
    Next week:
    Help with:

Hiro: (last updated before 2020-01-09)
    Started restoring Twitter Responder.
        When retrieving tweets I need to check for new tweets only otherwise Gettor will end up responding to old back log and already answered messages. <-- is this #27330 ?
    Next Week:
      - Work on gettor specs <-- Is this #3781?
      - More with review of strings and website content and translation