[tor-project] Network Team Meeting Notes, 16 and 23 March 2020

Alexander Færøy ahf at torproject.org
Wed Apr 1 22:28:19 UTC 2020

Hello,

Last week I messed up my pre-meeting schedule and didn't get around to
send out the notes from the meeting the week before. Both of them are
gathered in this email with summaries in the top and the pads in the
bottom.

Meeting notes 16/3 2020:

Logs at http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2020/tor-meeting.2020-03-16-16.59.html

1) We went over roadmap.

2) Not much progress on 0.4.3 status. We might delay this release a
little bit.

3) People were asked to cast votes on different policy docs.

4) We did some rotation of s28/s30 tickets in the team.

5) Nobody else had anything to add.

Meeting notes 23/3 2020:

Logs at http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2020/tor-meeting.2020-03-23-16.59.html

1) We went over roadmap. We were talking about how the board isn't kept
well in sync with reality and Trac.

2) Reviews looked fine for this week.

3) We went over 0.4.3 status.

4) We shortly discussed CI problems on macOS. We are waiting a response
from the Travis people.

5) Should we defer 0.4.3 status to early April? Nobody had any
objections.

6) We need more people helping out with volunteers on IRC. There are
many people coming in right now asking Tor dev questions. Please help
them out if you see nobody else is :-)

7) We shortly talked about alternative support forums than IRC.

8) Nobody had anything else to add.

Pad from 16/3 2020:

Nick:

    Week of 9 Mar (planned):
        - Continue work on walking onions spec:
            - Write initial draft spec for ENDIVE and SNIP formats.
            - Schedule the rest of the work
        - Prepare for new stable and alpha releases, targetting 16 March:
            - Finalize TROVE fixes?
            - Write draft advisories, get comments
        - Review and merge
        - Send an email to grants@ about stuff we should seek funding for.
        - Draft bug retrospective notes, using https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-bugs-retro-042-keep as input.
        - Meetings: library size work (monday), NY meeting planning (thursday??)

    Week of 9 Mar (actual):
        - Walking onions spec: format specifications and initital schedule.
        - Opened TROVE-2020-004.
        - Tried to wrap TROVE issues. Got CVE identifiers for 002 and 004.
        - Sent out initial conclusions for retrospective.
        - Put entries on DoS pad.
    Week of 16 Mar (planned):
        - Releases, with fixes for TROVE-2020-002 and 003 and maybe 004.
        - Meeting about DoS planning on Tuesday
        - Walking onions spec work: Expanding ENDIVEs, maybe authority operations.
        - Review and merge.
        - PETS review
        - Write tests for 32588?
        - Work on other 043 stuff?
    Currently postponing on:
        - progress on C autoformatting
        - 043 tickets, including some that seem important:
            - Build issue 33437
            - Windows issue 24857

catalyst:

    week of 03/09 (2020-W11) (planned):
        - reviews
        - refresh expired PGP key on various infrastructure
        - finish writing feedback
    week of 03/09 (2020-W11) (actual):
        - refreshed PGP key on LDAP
        - still fighting with updating my key on Schleuder
        - helped cohosh with some Debian packaging questions
    week of 03/16 (2020-W12) (planned):
        - reviews
        - looking over s28/s30 for which tickets it makes sense for me to work on
        - still somewhat behind on feedback
        - ahf: do you have time to help prioritize s28/s30 tickets with me?

ahf:
    Week of 9/3 2020 (planned):
        - Focus on TROVE and Windows CPU issue with cache dir (#24857).
        - Try to close IRC and email a bit this week to focus :-)
    Week of 9/3 2020 (actually):
        - Resolved GPG issues with Tor infra thanks to Anarcat and David.
        - Got Windows dev environment up and working again after my desktop had some heat issues.
        - Traveled to do a conference before the CORVID lockdown happened, conference got cancelled, ended up teaching the class that day on Tor. Was fun.
        - Trying to figure out if we should do a video for the FOSS North talk I have with GeKo.
        - Managed to reproduce #24857 in a dev environment with Chutney on Windows (via WSL)
        - Talked with David about library size reduction work.
    Week of 16/3 2020 (planned):
        - Look at TROVE's.
        - Hopefully resolve #24857.

asn
   Week of 09/03 (planned):
   - Finish CI work for OBv3.
   - Write blog post for OBv3 testing.
   - Prepare packages for OBv3.
   - More planning for DoS stuff.
   Week of 09/03 (actual):
   - CI done for OBv3.
   - Blog post written for OBv3. Talking with steph about publishing.
   - DoS planning
   Week of 16/03 (actual):
   - DoS meeting preparation and execution
   - Get the OBv3 blog post published
   - Finalize OBv3 further

dgoulet:
  Last week (actual):
    - Review and merges.
    - DoS meeting to prepare agenda for this week.
    - HS tickets: #33458, #33400
    - Tracing branch updated and in need review: #32910
    - Patch and revision: #33491, #33361
    - Tor as a library size: Wrote script to statically build tor and try to
      reduce as much as we can its size for mobile. Initial work:
      https://gitlab.torproject.org/dgoulet/tor-library-size
      [teor asks: have you tried link-time optimisation?]
  Week of March 16th (planned):
    - Building agenda for DoS meeting _and_ then DoS meeting
    - Library size work.

Gaba:

    Last week (actual):

    - s30 & s55

   Week of March 16th (planned)

      - DoS

teor: (online first meeting of the month, offline at the usual meeting time)

  Week of 9 March (planned):
       (Pad was down)

   Week of 9 March (actual):
       - chutney relay reachability tests (#33232, #33378, #33379, #33615)
       - helping with outreachy and GSOC
       - code reviews & documentation reviews
       - helping relay operators
       - general work admin

   Week of 16 March (planned):
       Important:
           - Sponsor 55: Relay IPv6
           - Outreachy / GSOC IPv6 projects
           - General Work Admin
           - Reviews
       Roadmap:
           - fixes to chutney relay reachability tests (#33615)
           - backport chutney CI diagnostics to 0.3.5 and later (#32792)
           - Relay IPv6 extends (#33220)
       Other:
           - Ticket triage, backport deciding, quick code reviews and ticket help

   Week of 16 March (actual):
       Important:
           - Sponsor 55: Relay IPv6
           - Outreachy / GSOC IPv6 projects
           - General Work Admin
       Roadmap:
           - fixes to chutney relay reachability tests (#33615)
           - backported chutney CI diagnostics to 0.3.5 and later (#32792)
       Other:
           - reviewing TROVEs
           - Emails and IRC
           - Meetings

Mike:
    week of 19 Feb (planned):
        - Investigate/reproduce circpad shutdown bugs (#30992 and chutney warns); plan some fixes
        - Mull over Research Janitor responsibilities and priorites
        - Maybe review metrics-team tickets
    week of 19 Feb (actual):
        - Still discussing Reasearch Janitor role priorities
        - Performance funding proposal work
    week of 24 Feb (planned):
        - Cashing in some banked overtime dayz (Monday+Tuesday)
        - Probably keep discussing Reasearch Janitor role priorities
        - Performance funding proposal work
        - Metrics-team flashflow experiment+sbws review
        - circpad bugs I hope? Coin toss for that vs metrics-team review
          (though the metrics work is pretty cold now anyway... maybe it can wait some more)

jnewsome:
    week of 03/02 (2020-W09) (planned):
        - Phantom design and prototyping
        - Create Tor tickets for "build for shadow"
        - Add nightly CI workflow to shadow repo to test against tor at head
    week of 03/02 (2020-W09) (actual):
        - Rebased Shadow-Phantom onto tip of Shadow-master and got CI passing again
        (by disabling most of it)
        - Solidified plan for Shadow-Phantom's interposition strategy, sent a PR to
        use it and re-enable now-covered CI tests
        - Sent out proposal for shared-memory-IPC plan
        - Added a CI configuration matrix to shadow-plugin-tor to test against last
        few releases of Tor
    week of 03/09 (2020-W10) (planned):
        - Flesh out Shadow-Phantom libc/syscall coverage to run phold (simple
        network benchmark)
        - Migrate shadow and shadow-plugin-tor to tgen v1.0.0
        - Create Tor tickets for "build for shadow"
        - Add nightly CI workflow to shadow repo to test against tor at head
    week of 03/09 (2020-W10) (actual):
        - Merged Shadow-Phantom libc/syscall refactor
        - Wrote and merged Shadow-Phantom refactor to modularize
         interposition mechanism
        - Wrote new ptrace interposition mechanism (little/no reliance on
         LD_PRELOAD)
        - Fixed dep-install step in Shadow-master and rebased Shadow-Phantom
         to include it
    week of 03/16 (2020-W11) (planned):
        - Clean up and merge ptrace interposition mechanism
        - Flesh out libc wrappers, targeting phold benchmark
        - Create Tor tickets for "build for shadow"
        - Add nightly CI workflow to shadow repo to test against tor at head

Pad from 23/3 2020:

Nick:

    Week of 16 Mar (planned):
        - Releases, with fixes for TROVE-2020-002 and 003 and maybe 004.
        - Meeting about DoS planning on Tuesday
        - Walking onions spec work: Expanding ENDIVEs, maybe authority operations.
        - Review and merge.
        - PETS review.
        - Write tests for 32588?
        - Work on other 043 stuff?
    Week of 16 Mar (actual):
        - Last-minute hacking and revisions on TROVE-2020-002 fixes.
        - Meetings about DoS planning.
        - Put out all releases
        - Wrote "expanding ENDIVEs" part of walking onions specs
        - Brainstormed on authority operations for walking onions spec.
        - Wrote PETS reveiws
        - Finally got to tests on 32588
    Week of 23 Mar (planned):
        - Walking onions: specify authority operations and revise last week's work.
        - Finish as many 043 tickets as possible.
        - Aim for another 043 release (alpha? release candidate?) soon.
        - Answer volunteer questions as they come up
        - Review and merge.
    Currently postponing on:
        - progress on C autoformatting
        - 043 tickets, including some that seem important:
            - Build issue 33437
            - Windows issue 24857

catalyst:

    week of 03/16 (2020-W12) (planned):
        - reviews
        - looking over s28/s30 for which tickets it makes sense for me to work on
        - still somewhat behind on feedback
        - ahf: do you have time to help prioritize s28/s30 tickets with me?
    week of 03/16 (2020-W12) (actual):
        - reviews
        - talked with ahf, phw, and others about s28/s30 prioritization
        - started looking at #5304 (Obfsproxy should respect OutboundBindAddress in torrc)
        - finally (hopefully?) resolved Schleuder issues with my PGP key. thanks dgoulet!
        - dug up some info on the python3-stem/sbws packaging issue in Debian (upcoming auto-removal due to lack of updates by packager)
    week of 03/23 (2020-W13) (planned):
        - reviews
        - more work on #5304

ahf:
    Week of 16/3 2020 (planned):
        - Look at TROVE's.
        - Hopefully resolve #24857.
    Week of 16/3 2020 (actually):
        - Looked a bit at David's work for static building for library size reduction.
        - Gitlab migration test run.
        - We decided to ditch the "virtual" foss north meeting and focus on the one in November instead.
        - sbws weekly meetings are now a thing.
        - Lots of small follow up items from the week before.
        - Worked on #24857 on Windows.
    Week of 23/3 2020 (planned):
        - Not made a plan yet. Gonna update this one after the meeting.

asn:
   Week of 16/03 (planned):
   - DoS meeting preparation and execution
   - Get the OBv3 blog post published
   - Finalize OBv3 further
   Week of 16/03 (actual):
   - DoS meeting preparation and execution
   - Released OBv3 0.1.9!
   - Wrote OBv3 blog post: https://blog.torproject.org/cooking-onions-reclaiming-onionbalance
   - Wrote post on anonymous credentials + HSes: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2020-March/014198.html
   Week of 23/03 (planned):
   - DoS post-meeting organization and work
   - OBv3 feedback response.
   - Network team work

dgoulet:
  Last week (actual):
    - DoS meeting preparation and actual meeting.
    - Ticket work on #33458, #33642 and #33072.
    - Attempt to fix static OpenSSL build: #33624
    - Schleuder fix madness.
  Week of March 23th (planned):
    - Onion service DoS profiling
    - Finish #33072 with teor's feedback
    - Reviews and Merges.

Gaba:

    Last week (actual):

    - DoS

   Week of March 23rd (planned)

      - nothing related to network team

[...]

    week of 03/16 (2020-W11) (actual):
        - Cleaned up and merged ptrace interposition mechanism in shadow-phantom
        - Identified libc apis and syscalls that will be needed for phold benchmark
        - Sent monthly update to tor-project@
    week of 03/23 (2020-W12) (planned):
        - Finish and merge refactoring and unit testing RDTSC emulation
        - Collaborate on shadow-phantom shared memory API
        - Start writing more libc api's to support phold benchmark

--
Alexander Færøy