[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 26 Sep 2019

Philipp Winter phw at torproject.org
Thu Sep 26 17:46:36 UTC 2019

Here are our meeting notes:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-09-26-17.00.html

And here is our meeting pad:

Anti-censorship work meeting pad
--------------------------------

Next meeting: Thursday September 26th 17:00 UTC

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 17:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress).

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.

== Links to Useful documents ==

    * Our anti-censorship roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/roadmap/boards
        * Our roadmap consists of a subset of trac tickets.
    * The anti-censorship team's wiki page: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/AntiCensorshipTeam
    * GetTor's roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor/boards

    * Tickets that need reviews: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=%5eCircumvention&col=id&col=summary&col=component&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=reviewer&order=priority

---------------------------
--- 26th September 2019 ---
---------------------------

== Announcements ==

    * Snowflake for Windows is going into the next alpha release \o/!

== Discussion ==

    * Sponsor 30 is officially starting (gaba)
        * Info about the sponsor: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/Sponsor30
        * Master ticket for Objective 2: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/31268
        * Next:
            * fill up doodle to confirm when we can meet (I assumed phw is going to be participating in the s30 meetings)
            * create tickets for work that needs to be done with each activity

    * Sponsor 28: update?
        * phw on #30716 -  Improve obfs4's flow obfuscation
            * we want to improve obfs4's flow obfuscation and find a way to "regulate" per-packet entropy, so a high-entropy filter cannot easily block the protocol
        * our georgetown colleagues are evaluating obfs4
        * cohosh continues work on snowflake
    * We are getting some more snowflake volunteers, it's probably time to update our CONTRIBUTING.md guidelines: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/31847

== Actions ==

    * Please summarise your month for our september report: https://pad.riseup.net/p/B8Um_zirxIsHD84D6iR_

== Interesting links ==

    *

== Updates ==

FORMAT!

Name:
    This week:
        - What you worked on this week.
    Next week:
        - What you are planning to work on next week (related to anti-censorship work).
    Help with:
         - Something you may need help with.

hiro: (2019-09-09)(gettor days are Thursday - snippets https://dip.torproject.org/snippets)

- gettor was down due to a VM reboot. Phw added a systemd script to reboot the service.
- add archive.org
- add gdrive
- edit ansible scripts
- edit scripts to upload files to various distribution endpoints

    Next week
        - reach out to irl about sending gettor stats to metrics
        - include reviews from code and website changes
        - review specs: are specs up-to-date? should we change something in the specs?
        - review docs: write documentation for web site and ansible playbooks.

    Help with:
        - probably more reviews.

hiro: (2019-09-02)(gettor days are Thursday - snippets https://dip.torproject.org/snippets)

    - Coded ansible recipes for gettor so that the service can be easily maintained by more people: https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/gettor-ansible
    - Fixing some issues about git history taking too much space quota on gitlab and github

    Next week
        - use archive.org as new distribution endpoint: upload files to archive.org
        - reach out to irl about sending gettor stats to metrics
        - review specs: are specs up-to-date? should we change something in the specs?
        - review docs: write documentation for web site and ansible playbooks.

    Help with:
        - waiting to be told that's fine to upload files to archive.org? Can we start?
        - review new website. New website should be reviewed. https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/gettor-web
phw:
  This week (2019-09-26):
        * Filed #31807 for outdated documentation of "BridgeDistribution" in tor's man page and wrote patch
        * Updated documentation for obfs4 docker image, advising people to use 'latest' tag
        * Moved exitmap-modules from private GitHub repository to dip.tp.o
        * Started working on language switcher for BridgeDB (#26543)
            * Tricky because it involved convoluted 3rd party library
        * Helped add new default bridges to Tor Browser -> will be in next alpha version
            * Worked with prospective operators of new private and default bridges
        * More work on obfuscating obfs4's flow signature (#30716)
            * Also made obfs4 client store state (only server would do that)
            * Still no progress on reducing per-packet entropy. It's tricky.
        * Filed #31834 to improve usability of obfs4 docker file
        * Had a chat with a researcher who was trying to understand (D)DoS attack against Tor
  Next week:
        * Make progress with obfs4 improvements
            * Figure out how to reduce per-packet entropy
  Help with:
        *

Gaba: (updated September 25th)
   Last week ():
            * checking roadmap
            * sponsor 30 coordination
    This week (planned):
            * sponsor 30 triage of tickets

ahf
    Last week:
        - Worked on #28930
    This week:
        - Finished refactoring parts of #28930. Trying to figure out if we should begin the discussion on how PT's can report back on bootstrap info.
        - Continued to work on a tool to convert Trac tickets into Gitlab tickets.

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2019-09-26
Last week:
    - reviewed #31780
    - worked with sah on errors swallowed ticket (#31794)
    - clean up logs (#30830)
    - finally got sequencing layer fully working with test deployment of server (#29206)
    - merged windows tbb build using pion branch of snowflake \o/ (#25483)
    - created a ticket for adding locks to the safe logger (#31843)
    - created a ticket for updating CONTRIBUTING.md (#31847)
    - created and presented a short demo of snowflake at ournetworks.ca last weekend
This week (gonna try to clear out some backlog from sept):
    - make a patch for the proxy---broker communication (#29207)
    - snowflake dogfood and think about how to address bad snowflake health
    - revisit reachability scripts and set up for new obfs4 tests
    - squash commits for sequencing layer (#29206) and start working on upgrade strategy (#30704)
    - grant outline for meeting next week
    - refactor proxy-pair state machine (#31310)
    - help sah finish up #31794 and with code coverage tickets
    - see where we're at with #31384
    - review #31391
    - tag snowflake tickets with easy or starter
Help with:
    - review of #30830, #31843
    - i'll need a review of #29206 very soon, after i clean up the commits
    - review of #28942

catalyst:
    week of 09/19 (planned):
        - reviews
        - sponsor31 planning
        - coding style discussion
        - comment on draft network team review guidelines
        - #30984
    week of 09/19 (actual):
        - reviews
        - sponsor31 planning
        - talking with people about proposed network team review processes
    week of 09/26 (planned):
        - reviews
        - sponsor31 doc coordination
        - checking in on Season of Docs work
        - #30984

arlolra: 2019-09-26
    Last week:
        - mia
    Next week:
        - add a build step / documentation for code reuse in cupcake
        - pick up another ticket
    Help with:
        - review of #31391

dcf: 2019-09-26
    Last week:
        - mostly not paying attention, sorry
        - Turbo Tunnel prototyping
        - posted summary of I2P paper from FOCI ( https://github.com/net4people/bbs/issues/12 )
    Next week:
        - catch up on pion updates and rbm build
        - archive test pion builds from #28942
        - Turbo Tunnel prototyping
    Help with: