[tor-project] gitlab next steps

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Fri Sep 20 12:15:06 UTC 2019

Sounds like this is moving forward nicely!  I've used GitLab since 2014
and helped migrate F-Droid, Guardian Project, and Debian.  I've also
been writing bots for gitlab, so I know something about its API.  Please
ping me if you want to run any questions by me.  I'll try to follow the
whole process as well, as I find time, since I'm not a Tor employee or
contractor.

* I think there should be at least as 24 hour issue tracker down time, 2
days or longer would be more realistic.  Live migrations are vastly more
work to pull off.

* About maintaining the existing ticket numbers, my guess is that the
easiest approach will be to find a way to create all trac issues in the
"tor" project on gitlab sequentially so it maintains the same number.
Perhaps you're doing that already. :)

* There is a potential other, more involved approach: gitlab internally
uses ticket IDs like trac, where there is one global counter that is
incremented for each new issue.  In the Debian context
(salsa.debian.org), it would be very interesting to have that global
issue number exposed in the UI somehow since the Debian BTS also uses
global issue IDs.  Perhaps there is the possibility of Debian and Tor
teaming up to create this feature.  This would probably require a grant
though, or some very interested volunteer Ruby coders.

.hc

Gaba:

--
PGP fingerprint: EE66 20C7 136B 0D2C 456C  0A4D E9E2 8DEA 00AA 5556
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xE9E28DEA00AA5556