[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 19 Sep 2019

Philipp Winter phw at torproject.org
Thu Sep 19 17:58:53 UTC 2019

Here are our meeting notes:


And here's our meeting pad:

Anti-censorship work meeting pad

Next meeting: Thursday September 19th 17:00 UTC

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 17:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress).

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.

== Links to Useful documents ==

    * Our anti-censorship roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/roadmap/boards
        * Our roadmap consists of a subset of trac tickets.
    * The anti-censorship team's wiki page: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/AntiCensorshipTeam
    * GetTor's roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor/boards

    * Tickets that need reviews: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=%5eCircumvention&col=id&col=summary&col=component&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=reviewer&order=priority

--- 19th September 2019 ---

== Announcements ==

    * Bug Smash Fund campaign has been on since beginning of August. Update: https://blog.torproject.org/tors-bug-smash-fund-86k-raised . The idea is that this will be funding non-sponsor bugs. If you are working on ticket that is not sponsored please tag it with BugSmashFund keyword.
    * Remember to add 'actual points' to a ticket when you are closing it.
    * BridgeDB bot updated its HTTP header to evade our anti-bot mechanism
        * Still maintained, after all
    * ValdikSS created yet another forum for Internet censorship discussion: https://ntc.party
    * Transition to gitlab is slowly moving forward:
        * Notes from last meeting: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-September/002492.html
        * Planning document: https://nc.riseup.net/s/SnQy3yMJewRBwA7

== Discussion ==

    * Tickets from July and August's roadmap:
        * July
            * 30830 did not started. Should we move it into roadmap for next months or back to icebox?
        * August https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~anti-censorship-roadmap-august&col=id&col=summary&col=keywords&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=component&col=severity&col=resolution&col=actualpoints&col=points&col=reviewer&col=sponsor&order=status
            * move into september/october, back to icebox?
        * September: #26543 is a ticket that irl will work on. We are moving it to October.
        * I'm going to use the keyword 'anti-censorship-roadmap' for tickets that are getting out of the roadmap into icebox (they do not have a specific period for completion).(Gaba)

== Actions ==


== Interesting links ==


== Updates ==


    This week:
        - What you worked on this week.
    Next week:
        - What you are planning to work on next week (related to anti-censorship work).
    Help with:
         - Something you may need help with.

hiro: (2019-09-09)(gettor days are Thursday - snippets https://dip.torproject.org/snippets)

- gettor was down due to a VM reboot. Phw added a systemd script to reboot the service.
- add archive.org
- add gdrive
- edit ansible scripts
- edit scripts to upload files to various distribution endpoints

    Next week
        - reach out to irl about sending gettor stats to metrics
        - include reviews from code and website changes
        - review specs: are specs up-to-date? should we change something in the specs?
        - review docs: write documentation for web site and ansible playbooks.

    Help with:
        - probably more reviews.

hiro: (2019-09-02)(gettor days are Thursday - snippets https://dip.torproject.org/snippets)

    - Coded ansible recipes for gettor so that the service can be easily maintained by more people: https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/gettor-ansible
    - Fixing some issues about git history taking too much space quota on gitlab and github

    Next week
        - use archive.org as new distribution endpoint: upload files to archive.org
        - reach out to irl about sending gettor stats to metrics
        - review specs: are specs up-to-date? should we change something in the specs?
        - review docs: write documentation for web site and ansible playbooks.

    Help with:
        - waiting to be told that's fine to upload files to archive.org? Can we start?
        - review new website. New website should be reviewed. https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/gettor-web
  This week (2019-09-19):
        * Wrote draft of BridgeDB metrics specification (#31780)
        * Updated obfs4 docker container to use the new Debian buster (#31692)
        * Worked with new obfs4 bridge operators
            * A handful ran outdated Tor versions that didn't manage to publish their descriptor to Serge. Need to investigate.
            * 57 new bridges so far
        * Lots of work on updating BridgeDB's requirements.txt (#29484)
            * Some of BridgeDB's dependencies have vulnerabilities
            * Lots of progress, but still struggling with broken tests
        * Sent a bunch of private obfs4 bridges to NGO so it can distribute them among its users
            * Will be interesting to see their experience
            * I'm monitoring the availability of these bridges with monit
        * Merged scripts that rsync assignments.log files to CollecTor (#19332)
        * Merged pull request for community portal that fixes obfs4 setup instructions for OpenBSD
        * Reviewed and merged zoossh pull requests
        * Summarised work on obfs4 improvements (#30716)
        * Took a look at the BGram app and how it uses tor. Found a bridges.txt with now-offline obfs4 bridges
            * Sent an email to author, asking how they are using bridges in their app
  Next week:
        * Make progress with obfs4 improvements
            * Figure out how to reduce per-packet entropy
  Help with:
        *  https://bugs.torproject.org/31780 (BridgeDB metrics spec)

Gaba: (updated September 16th)
   Last week ():
            * checking roadmap
            * playing with gitlab - we are moving forward migration out of trac
    This week (planned):
            * sponsor 30 is finally officially starting

    Last week:
        - Worked on #28930
    This week:
        - Finished refactoring parts of #28930. Trying to figure out if we should begin the discussion on how PT's can report back on bootstrap info.
        - Continued to work on a tool to convert Trac tickets into Gitlab tickets.

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2019-09-19
Last week (holiday on Monday):
    - review #19332, #31692, #31780
    - wrapped up pion/webrtc changes and windows build (#28942 and #25483)
    - set up a snowflake bridge for testing #29206
    - addressed comments on work done up until now on #29206
    - did a speed test on pion snowflakes and found some concerning snowflake health indicators (#28942)
    - Created #31804 after discussion on IRC
This week:
    - take a look at and respond to errors swallowed ticket (#31794)
    - make a patch for the proxy---broker communication (#29207)
    - wrap up pion/webrtc changes and windows build ( #28942 and #25483)
    - snowflake dogfood and think about how to address bad snowflake health
    - continue work on sequencing layer, hope to have it fully working this week (#29206)
    - clean up logs (#30830)
    - review #31780
Help with:
    - review of #28942 (GeKo is reviewing #25483)

    week of 09/12 (planned):
        - reviews
        - sponsor31 reporting and planning
        - sponsor31 architecture documentation etc
        - gitlab migration planning
        - coding style discussion
    week of 09/12 (actual):
        - reviews
        - sponsor31 reporting and planning
        - gitlab migration planning
    week of 09/19 (planned):
        - reviews
        - sponsor31 planning
        - coding style discussion
        - comment on draft network team review guidelines
        - #30984

arlolra: 2019-09-19
    Last week:
        - mia
    Next week:
        - add a build step / documentation for code reuse in cupcake
        - make an attempt at #31391
    Help with:

dcf: 2019-09-19
    Last week:
        - reviewed sequencing layer (#29206)
        - read a draft of TCP encapsulation guidelines ( https://github.com/net4people/bbs/issues/9#issuecomment-532218292 )
    Next week:
        - catch up on pion updates and rbm build
        - archive test pion builds from #28942
        - Turbo Tunnel prototyping
    Help with:

More information about the tor-project mailing list