[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 9 Sep 2019

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Mon Sep 9 18:04:09 UTC 2019

Hi!

You can read today's meeting log at

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-09-09-17.00.html

Below are the contents of our meeting pad:

= Network team meeting pad! =

This week's team meeting is at Monday 9 September 1700 UTC on
#tor-meeting on OFTC.

September-October schedule:
    * Monday 9 September 1700 UTC
    * Monday 16 September 1700 UTC
    * Monday 23 September 1700 UTC
    * Wednesday 2 October 2300 UTC
    * Monday 7 October 1700 UTC
    * Monday 14 October 1700 UTC
    * Monday 21 October 1700 UTC
    * Monday 28 October 1700 UTC

Welcome to our meeting!
First meeting each month: Wednesday at 2300 UTC
Other meetings each month: Mondays at 1700 UTC until 3 November 2019,
when daylight saving time changes
On #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.) (See
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to
tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.
After that is done, the pad can be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
(Search the tor-project mailing list archive for older notes.)
12 August: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-August/002431.html
19 August: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-August/002435.html
26 August: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-August/002442.html
4 September: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-September/002465.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* Coming up: the 0.4.2 release status page.
  See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CoreTorReleases/042Status
  (This page automatically shows the latest trac ticket status.)

* Let's check and update the roadmap.
  What's done, and what's coming up?
  We're using a kanban board:
       https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/core/tor/boards

* Check reviewer assignments! How reviews from last week worked? Any blocker?

Here are the outstanding reviews, oldest first, including sbws
    https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=Core+Tor%2FTor&or&status=needs_review&component=Core+Tor%2Fsbws&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=changetime&col=reviewer&col=keywords&order=changetime

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing
work for the next releases.

* Remember to fill up the 'actual point' field when you close a
ticket. We need those to calculate velocity.

* Check other's people call for help in their entries.

* When you are overloaded, it is ok to say "no" to things.
    * And it is ok to reschedule things.

-------------------------------
---- 9 September 2019
-------------------------------

== Announcements ==

On September there is a technical writer (Swati) from Google Season of
Docs starting to work with us on rewriting the Tor manual page. She is
participating in the network team meetings. Her project:
https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/participants/project-tor

We are moving the kanban board from storm into
https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/core/tor/boards . This will help
lead a plan for migration into dip.torproject.org.

People working on sponsor 31 will meet for a second time on Tuesday
September 10 at 2300 UTC. We will talk in #tor-meeting and the agenda
is here:https://pad.riseup.net/p/IRjuGtQkWNKZLc7qskDb

Remember that 0.4.2.x-alpha freezes on 15 September.  For large
features, the freeze date is 8 September.

Bug Smash Fund campaign has been on:
https://blog.torproject.org/tors-bug-smash-fund-help-tor-smash-all-bugs
The idea is that this will be funding non-sponsor bugs. If you are
working on ticket that is not sponsored please tag it with
BugSmashFund keyword.

Remember to look at transition to gitlab
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-September/002458.html

== Discussion ==

* When is the next time origin/master will be open?
  - (Some non-critical circpad things should go in somewhere, but
don't need 042)

* Some of our needs_review tickets are getting a bit old, should we
give them to other people?

== Recommended links ==

"Testing the boundaries of col­labo­ra­tion"
https://increment.com/testing/testing-the-boundaries-of-collaboration/

== Updates ==

Name:
    Week of XYZ (planned):
        - What you planned for last week.
    Week of XYZ (actual):
        - What you did last week.
    Week of ABC (planned):
        - What you're planning to do this week.
    Help with:

     - Something you may need help with.

PLEASE DO NOT BULK-DELETE THE OLD ENTRIES!

Leave the "Planned" parts!
Leave the parts for last week and this week!

gaba: (updated on september 4th)

Last week (actual):

. s31

This week (planned):

. s31 report

. scalability funding proposal

Help with:

teor: (online first week of the month, offline at the usual meeting time)

Week of 2 September (actual):
        Urgent:
            -
        Roadmap:
            - Sponsor 31 config.c reviews
            - Sponsor 31 retrospective and planning
        Other:
            - #31549 review - old relays out of the consensus
            - #31664 triage - guard number config
            - quick tools and quick fixes that make development easier

    Week of 9 September (planned):
        Urgent:
            -
        Roadmap:
            - Sponsor 31 config.c refactor reviews
            - finish add tor controller trace logging to diagnose stem
hangs (#30901)
                - try nickm's suggested a simpler implementation
                - split off bugs I found while writing the control trace code
        Other:
            - team policies: commit bit and roles?

    Week of 9 September (actual):
        Urgent:
            -
        Roadmap:
            - Sponsor 31 config.c refactor
        Other:
            - bug smash on logging bugs #31594 and children (maybe
some of these are bugs on other sponsored work)
            - bug triage
            - emails

Nick:
    Week of 2 September (planned):
        - Get 31240 merged if possible, and if it is, solve *all*
pending 29211 backlog issues.
        - S31 Meeting on Tuesday 2300 UTC (rescheduled)
        - S31 work TBD, pending division of tasks on Tuesday
        - Start removing work from 0.4.2 milestone, and tagging other
work with must/should/can.
        - Investigate 31570 (mmap crash in 0.4.1) unless somebody else
picks it up.
        - Reviews and merges.
        - Coordinate role transition plans with ahf and gaba.
    Week of 2 September (actual):
        - Resolved several pending 29211 (config refactor) issues
(31532 31529 31624 31627 31629)
        - Took on additional review, merge stuff.
        - S31 meeting (initial)
        - Began 0.4.2 triage
        - Came up with a patch for 31570 (mmap crash)
        - Review and merge
        - worked on 31578 (practracker vs make dist)
        - Added proposals 306, 307 to repository
        - Began proposal for adding proposals more regularly.
        - Made myself a checklist to follow before putting things in
needs_review.
    Week of 9 September (planned):
        - Merge big pending patches. (Sorry asn & dgoulet! :/ )
        - Respond to questions on S31 pad before tuesday
        - Another S31 meeting
        - Work on circuitpadding doc merge stuff.
        - Start a PETS review
        - Work on more 29211 followup issues
        - More 0.4.2 triage.

Mike:
    Week of 8/26 (planned):
        - Catch up on mail/tickets
        - Work on circpad dev doc
    Week of 8/26 (actual):
        - Catch up on mail/tickets
        - Finished rough draft of circpad dev doc; mailed to researchers
    Week of 9/4 (planned):
        - Funding proposal catchup + direction
        - Firefox ESR new feature and network code reviews
        - Fold in researcher feedback on circpad dev doc
    Need help with/at risk of dropping this month:
        - Not doing any code reviews this month, unless on circpad
patches. Got enough for Tor Browser
        - Circpad doc followup/fold-in? (asn?)
        - Firefox ESR code review
          - (I am working on this, but unlikely to finish it this
month at this rate of interruption+distraction)
        - Firefox new feature review
        - Funding proposal review, meetings, coordination,
cross-checking estimations, strategy, etc.
        - Deep-thought-required research project followup
          - (Google masque, BGP, ECN, Rob's bw experiments, Dennis's
Mozilla video, etc etc...)
        - Relay community drive/mgmt (and related LTS herding)

catalyst:

    week of 08/26 (2019-W35) (planned):
        - reviews
        - investigate some Jenkins failures
        - get #30984 ready for review (key-value lines for control
replies) -- still documenting some things
    week of 08/26 (2019-W35) (actual):
        - reviews
        - made some progress on getting #30984 ready for review --
cleaned up some memory management issues, improved some documentation
        - chasing spurious chutney failures; they turn out to be
somehow sandbox-related? thanks to teor for helping diagnose
    week of 09/02 (2019-W36) (planned):
        - TPI holiday 09/02
        - sponsor31 check-in retrospective (and follow up)
        - reviews
        - more work on #30984
    week of 09/02 (2019-W36) (actual):
        - TPI holiday 09/02
        - reviews
        - sponsor31 check-in
    week of 09/09 (2019-W37) (planned):
        - more sponsor31 reporting and check-in
        - reviews
        - look at gitlab migration plan doc
        - #30984
    need help with:
        - please help take a look at some jenkins failures:
            * tor-ci-linux-0.2.9 (old-ish)

https://jenkins.torproject.org/job/tor-ci-linux-0.2.9/292/console --
this looks like a travis failure. There's a java exception caused by a
timeout, and no builders actually happen.
            * tor-ci-linux-0.4.1 (new-ish)
            https://jenkins.torproject.org/job/tor-ci-linux-0.4.1/ARCHITECTURE=amd64,SUITE=buster/28/console
                  Buster amd64 is failing with what appears to be
08:50:53 08:50:53 FAIL: src/test/test_workqueue_efd.sh
08:50:53 ====================================
08:50:53 08:50:53 Illegal instruction
08:50:53 FAIL src/test/test_workqueue_efd.sh (exit status: 132)
                   I wonder if this is transient, or if it is a real
problem?  We didn't change this code any time recently.
            * tor-ci-linux-master-clang (new-ish)

 https://jenkins.torproject.org/job/tor-ci-linux-master-clang/3640/ARCHITECTURE=i386,SUITE=sid/consoleFull

This is only happening on i686 sid, and it is a compiler segfault.
This makes me think it is a bug in the clang package in debian
unstable.

            * tor-ci-mingwcross-* (old-ish)

https://jenkins.torproject.org/job/tor-ci-mingwcross-master/2499/ARCHITECTURE=amd64,SUITE=buster/console

This looks like a misconfiguration to me -- it seems to be complaining
about not having found a zlib package maybe?

           * tor-ci-windows-master (old?)
               https://jenkins.torproject.org/job/tor-ci-windows-master/78/console
               This looks like it could be a real bug: a unit test is
failing.  It's in "slow/process/callbacks" -- I believe ahf knows that
code best.

asn:
   [Might be for dinner at the time of the meeting]
   Week of 02/09 (planned):
   - Hyper focusing on onionbalance+stem #31369.
     - The goal is to be able to encode and decode v3 descriptors by
the end of next week.
   - Reviews/merges as per the usual
   Week of 02/09 (actual):
   - Worked on #31369
     - Created stem module that encodes/decodes ed25519 certs
     - Started work on encoding descriptors
     - Pending feedback on #31369 by atagar.
   - Created another stem onionbalance ticket #31648 and started work on it
     while waiting for atagar feedback on #31369
   - Some more findings on old #28970 bugfix ticket.
   - Did more triaging and updated points on onionbalance master ticket (#29998)
   Week of 09/09 (actual):
   - More work on stem side of onionbalance (#31369 and #31648)

ahf:
    Week of 2nd of September (planned):
        - Returned from long vacation of BornHack and CCCamp.
        - Harvest reporting.
        - Reading mailing lists, meeting minutes, catch up on
community council things, look at Trac and tor.git changes of August.
        - Hacking on #5304.
        - Going to be away Thursday (around Friday) to attend a
conference in DK and talk about Tor at the engineers union here in DK.
    Week of 2nd of September (actually):
        - Harvest reporting.
        - Read mailing lists, meeting minutes, cought up on community
council things, look at Trac and tor.git changes of August.
        - Hacking on #5304. <gaba: it says that is merge ready , is
that completed?>

- Did a talk on Tor at the engineering union in DK.

Week of 9th of September (planned):

- Solve my laptop situation.

- Work on #5304 and #28930.

- Work with Nick and Gaba on which tasks to takeover.

dgoulet:
  Week of 02/09 (actual):
    - Most of my time has been on #30200 parent tasks working on building and
      running an onion service health tool (#28841).
    - From the above, several tickets have been opened, see the child tickets
      of #30200.
    - I've mostly worked on the service side health. I've moved now on writing
      the tool analysis part for the client side.
    - One ticket I opened which was needed for my development branch in #30200
      that affects the wider tor (and found a bug): #31608. It is good that we
      are all awayre of this imo.
  Week of 09/09 (planned):
    - Continue making sure #31549 is on track and doesn't stall.
    - Help write blog post about the above ^ in order to be as loud as we can
      about this big change in the network.
    - Continue on #30200 to dig into client side behavior (s27 stuff).