[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 4 Sep 2019

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Mon Sep 9 18:02:14 UTC 2019


Last week's meeting logs can be read at


Below is the state of last week's pad, from our pad history.

= Network team meeting pad! =

This week's team meeting is at Wednesday 4 September 2300 UTC on
#tor-meeting on OFTC.

September-October schedule:
    * Wednesday 4 September 2300 UTC
    * Monday 9 September 1700 UTC
    * Monday 16 September 1700 UTC
    * Monday 23 September 1700 UTC
    * Wednesday 2 October 2300 UTC
    * Monday 7 October 1700 UTC
    * Monday 14 October 1700 UTC
    * Monday 21 October 1700 UTC
    * Monday 28 October 1700 UTC

Welcome to our meeting!
First meeting each month: Wednesday at 2300 UTC
Other meetings each month: Mondays at 1700 UTC until 3 November 2019,
when daylight saving time changes
On #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.) (See
for background.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to
tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.
After that is done, the pad can be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
(Search the tor-project mailing list archive for older notes.)
12 August: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-August/002431.html
19 August: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-August/002435.html
26 August: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-August/002442.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* Let's check the 0.4.1 release status page.
  See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CoreTorReleases/041Status
  (This page automatically shows the latest trac ticket status.)

* Coming up: the 0.4.2 release status page.
  See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CoreTorReleases/042Status
  (This page automatically shows the latest trac ticket status.)

* Let's check and update the roadmap.
  What's done, and what's coming up?
  We're using a kanban board:

* Check reviewer assignments! How reviews from last week worked? Any blocker?

Here are the outstanding reviews, oldest first, including sbws

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing
work for the next releases.

* Remember to fill up the 'actual point' field when you close a
ticket. We need those to calculate velocity.

* Check other's people call for help in their entries.

* When you are overloaded, it is ok to say "no" to things.
    * And it is ok to reschedule things.

---- 4 September 2019

== Announcements ==

On September there is a technical writer from Google Season of Docs
starting to work with us on rewriting the Tor manual page. She will be
participating in the network team meetings. Her project:

We are moving the kanban board from storm into
https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/core/tor/boards . This will help
lead a plan for migration into dip.torproject.org.

People working on sponsor 31 will meet for a second time on Tuesday
September 10 at 2300 UTC. We will talk in #tor-meeting and the agenda
is here:https://pad.riseup.net/p/IRjuGtQkWNKZLc7qskDb

Remember that 0.4.2.x-alpha freezes on 15 September.  For large
features, the freeze date is 8 September.

Bug Smash Fund campaign has been on:
The idea is that this will be funding non-sponsor bugs. If you are
working on ticket that is not sponsored please tag it with
BugSmashFund keyword.

== Discussion ==

* We need a process for putting proposals into the torspec.git
repository, and advancing them forward.  Does anybody want to write

* In the meantime, should I (nickm) handle the pending 306 and 307?

{Resolution: nick adds 306 and 307 to repo, then writes a policy proposal.}

* Relatedly, we maybe need a process for making sure that proposals
eventually move from Draft to some other state, and from Open to some
other state.  I believe that Teor had started writing one of these.
Now that we have a metapolicy, would you like to pick that up again?

* Alternatively, I (nickm) can do it.  Alternatively, we can defer till later.

{Resolution: nick tries to do a draft.}

* When is the next time origin/master will be open?
  - (Some non-critical circpad things should go in somewhere, but
don't need 042)

== Recommended links ==

Ricochet Refresh with Tor

macOS 10.15 has a read-only system volume and a redesigned path structure.
Standard Unix tools shouldn't be affected, but some builds or apps might be:

"Testing the boundaries of col­labo­ra­tion"

== Updates ==

    Week of XYZ (planned):
        - What you planned for last week.
    Week of XYZ (actual):
        - What you did last week.
    Week of ABC (planned):
        - What you're planning to do this week.
    Help with:

     - Something you may need help with.


Leave the "Planned" parts!
Leave the parts for last week and this week!

gaba: (updated on september 4th)

Last week (actual):

. s31

This week (planned):

. s31 report

. scalability funding proposal

Help with:

teor: (online first week of the month, offline at the usual meeting time)

    Week of 26 August (planned):
            - CI monitoring
            - config.c refactor code review, because we want to get it
done by the end of August
            - finish add tor controller trace logging to diagnose stem
hangs (#30901)
                - try nickm's suggested a simpler implementation
                - split off bugs I found while writing the control trace code
            - finish small 0.4.1 tasks
            - finish remaining code reviews, except for neel's big PR
that I will split up
            - do the backports that are due after the release,
switch hidden tags
            - backport deciding
            - team policies: commit bit and roles?

    Week of 26 August (actual):
            - coverity fixes for #21003, rewrote the function using
safe string functions #31549
            - CI failure triage and monitoring
            - CI fixes, reviews, backports
            - reviewed big config refactor PRs:
                - #30935 - ready for merge
                - #31240 - in the middle of the reviews
                - Sponsor 31 retrospective preparation
                - double checking follow-ups and blockers for #29211
            - OnionBalance v3 crypto help
            - Tor Browser macOS notarisation help
            - HSv3 IPv6 and single onion service, feature parity and bug fixes
            - backports after 0.4.1-stable
            - add some missing tests/commit hook checks, so CI fails less often
            - quick diagnostics improvements
            - better backport tooling
            - helping relay operators with various issues
            - IPv6 exit ticket triage
            - non-roadmap reviews
            - bug triage

    Week of 26 August (planned):
        - Revisions for 31240 (make confparse handle compound formats
and objects)
        - Review and merge
        - Finish 31241 (refactor conf validation), make it needs_review
        - If we catch up with merge and revision on 29211: move on to 30866.
        - Practracker tests (31477)
        - Start early on September roadmap items, time permitting.
    Week of 26 August (actual):
        - Revisions on 31240, including rebase.
        - Finished a version of #31241, then decided to table it until
caught up with other 29211 (config refactor) work.
        - Practreacker tests (31477)
        - Tried to catch up with reviews and merges
        - Code diagnosis
        - Fixed some shell issues
        - Regressions in routerset config handling (31495)
        - Regressions in disable-module-dirauth compilation (31552)
    Week of 2 September (planned):
        - Get 31240 merged if possible, and if it is, solve *all*
pending 29211 backlog issues.
        - S31 Meeting on Tuesday 2300 UTC (rescheduled)
        - S31 work TBD, pending division of tasks on Tuesday
        - Start removing work from 0.4.2 milestone, and tagging other
work with must/should/can.
        - Investigate 31570 (mmap crash in 0.4.1) unless somebody else
picks it up.
        - Reviews and merges.
        - Coordinate role transition plans with ahf and gaba.

    Week of 8/26 (planned):
        - Catch up on mail/tickets
        - Work on circpad dev doc
    Week of 8/26 (actual):
        - Catch up on mail/tickets
        - Finished rough draft of circpad dev doc; mailed to researchers
    Week of 9/4 (planned):
        - Funding proposal catchup + direction
        - Firefox ESR new feature and network code reviews
        - Fold in researcher feedback on circpad dev doc
    Need help with/at risk of dropping this month:
        - Not doing any code reviews this month, unless on circpad
patches. Got enough for Tor Browser
        - Circpad doc followup/fold-in? (asn?)
        - Firefox ESR code review
          - (I am working on this, but unlikely to finish it this
month at this rate of interruption+distraction)
        - Firefox new feature review
        - Funding proposal review, meetings, coordination,
cross-checking estimations, strategy, etc.
        - Deep-thought-required research project followup
          - (Google masque, BGP, ECN, Rob's bw experiments, Dennis's
Mozilla video, etc etc...)
        - Relay community drive/mgmt (and related LTS herding)


    week of 08/26 (2019-W35) (planned):
        - reviews
        - investigate some Jenkins failures
        - get #30984 ready for review (key-value lines for control
replies) -- still documenting some things
    week of 08/26 (2019-W35) (actual):
        - reviews
        - made some progress on getting #30984 ready for review --
cleaned up some memory management issues, improved some documentation
        - chasing spurious chutney failures; they turn out to be
somehow sandbox-related? thanks to teor for helping diagnose
    week of 09/02 (2019-W36) (planned):
        - TPI holiday 09/02
        - sponsor31 check-in retrospective (and follow up)
        - reviews
        - more work on #30984
    need help with:
        - please help take a look at some jenkins failures:
            * tor-ci-linux-0.2.9 (old-ish)

https://jenkins.torproject.org/job/tor-ci-linux-0.2.9/292/console --
this looks like a travis failure. There's a java exception caused by a
timeout, and no builders actually happen.
            * tor-ci-linux-0.4.1 (new-ish)
                  Buster amd64 is failing with what appears to be
08:50:53 08:50:53 FAIL: src/test/test_workqueue_efd.sh
08:50:53 ====================================
08:50:53 08:50:53 Illegal instruction
08:50:53 FAIL src/test/test_workqueue_efd.sh (exit status: 132)
                   I wonder if this is transient, or if it is a real
problem?  We didn't change this code any time recently.
            * tor-ci-linux-master-clang (new-ish)


This is only happening on i686 sid, and it is a compiler segfault.
This makes me think it is a bug in the clang package in debian

            * tor-ci-mingwcross-* (old-ish)


This looks like a misconfiguration to me -- it seems to be complaining
about not having found a zlib package maybe?

           * tor-ci-windows-master (old?)
               This looks like it could be a real bug: a unit test is
failing.  It's in "slow/process/callbacks" -- I believe ahf knows that
code best.

   Week of 19/08 (planned):
   - Read [tor-dev] [prop305] Introduction Point Behavior
   - Check open hackerone issue.
   - Finish up with reviews and merges before CCC camp.
   - Attend CCC camp and participate in the talk.
   - Speak with the onionbalance maintainer during camp to make plans for v3
   Week of 19/08 (actual):
   - Replied to [tor-dev] threads
   - Cleared up hackerone issue.
   - Reviewed and revised #30924 (DoS ticket)
   - Finished all urgent reviews/merges but not all of them.
   - Worked on onionbalance:
     - Met with Donncha at camp and talked onionbalance.
     - Spoke with atagar about #31369 and reviewed his new code.
     - Mapped out what needs to be done in #31369 from my side.
   - Did the talk at camp!
   Week of 26/08 (planned):
   - Finish up reviews/merges that piled up further.
   - More work on stem side of onionbalance (#31369)
   - Find time to watch the recording from the latest mozilla meeting
   - Think about HS issue: #20212

   Week of 26/08 (planned):
   - Finish up reviews/merges that piled up further.
   - More work on stem side of onionbalance (#31369)
   - Find time to watch the recording from the latest mozilla meeting
   - Think about HS issue: #20212
   Week of 26/08 (actual):
   - Finished up various reviews (plus extra) and did most of merges.
   - Tons of work on stem side of onionbalance (#31369):
     - Started understanding stem's ins and outs.
     - Managed to decrypt both layers of the descriptor
     - Started work on encoding HSv3descriptors
       - Started work on encoding/decoding ed25519 certs
     - Code is seriously dirty but does things.
   Week of 02/09 (actual):
   - Hyper focusing on onionbalance+stem #31369.
     - The goal is to be able to encode and decode v3 descriptors by
the end of next week.
   - Reviews/merges as per the usual

ahf (I'm in "normal" danish hour cycle so I might miss the meeting):
    Week of 2nd of August September (planned):
        - Returned from long vacation of BornHack and CCCamp.
        - Harvest reporting.
        - Reading mailing lists, meeting minutes, catch up on
community council things, look at Trac and tor.git changes of August.
        - Hacking on #5304.
        - Going to be away Thursday (around Friday) to attend a
conference in DK and talk about Tor at the engineers union here in DK.

  Week of 19/08 (actual):
    - #30924 has been revised and now merge_ready
    - Worked on HS timeout issues (#30200 + #28841). Built a tracing system to
      follow the HS dance coupled with circuit build time and timeout. Already
      paid off, #31490 is a bug that came out of it.
    - Spent time chasing a EWMA cell scheduling issue but fell off the radar
      after some hours, lack of time to continue.
  Week of 26/08 (planned):
    - Continue on #30200.
    - Address revisions needed for #30924 if any comes.

More information about the tor-project mailing list