[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 5 Sep 2019

Philipp Winter phw at torproject.org
Thu Sep 5 17:50:47 UTC 2019

Here are our meeting logs:

<http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-09-05-17.00.log.html>

And here is our meeting pad:

Anti-censorship work meeting pad
--------------------------------

Next meeting: Thursday September 5th 17:00 UTC

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 17:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress).

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.

== Links to Useful documents ==

    * Our anti-censorship roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/roadmap/boards
        * Our roadmap consists of a subset of trac tickets.
    * The anti-censorship team's wiki page: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/AntiCensorshipTeam
    * GetTor's roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor/boards

    * Tickets that need reviews: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=%5eCircumvention&col=id&col=summary&col=component&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=reviewer&order=priority

---------------------------
--- 5th September 2019 ----
---------------------------

== Announcements ==

    * Bug Smash Fund campaign has been on: https://blog.torproject.org/tors-bug-smash-fund-help-tor-smash-all-bugs The idea is that this will be funding non-sponsor bugs. If you are working on ticket that is not sponsored please tag it with BugSmashFund keyword.

== Discussion ==

    * https://bugs.torproject.org/19332 (BridgeDB module for CollecTor) is not on the metrics plate anymore. what next?

== Actions ==

    * Update roadmap with what you are working on https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/roadmap/boards

== Interesting links ==

    *

== Updates ==

FORMAT!

Name:
    This week:
        - What you worked on this week.
    Next week:
        - What you are planning to work on next week (related to anti-censorship work).
    Help with:
         - Something you may need help with.

hiro: (2019-09-02)(gettor days are Thursday - snippets https://dip.torproject.org/snippets)

    - Coded ansible recipes for gettor so that the service can be easily maintained by more people: https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/gettor-ansible
    - Fixing some issues about git history taking too much space quota on gitlab and github

    Next week
        - use archive.org as new distribution endpoint: upload files to archive.org
        - reach out to irl about sending gettor stats to metrics
        - review specs: are specs up-to-date? should we change something in the specs?
        - review docs: write documentation for web site and ansible playbooks.

    Help with:
        - waiting to be told that's fine to upload files to archive.org? Can we start?
        - review new website. New website should be reviewed. https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/gettor-web
phw:
  This week (2019-09-05):
        * Handled our "set up new obfs4" bridges campaign
            * ~40 new bridges so far
            * Updated bridge setup guide several times and merged pull requests
        * More work on improving obfs4's flow obfuscation (#30716)
            * Met with Micah and Sam to discuss progress
            * Had a chat with Tobias about state of website fingerprinting attacks
        * Re-compiled and deployed snowflake broker and server (#31454, #31455)
        * Started working on exposing BridgeDB's metrics for Tor Metrics (#19332)
        * Filed a ticket to get rid of BridgeDB's chatspeak (#31528)
        * Started working on a script to extract stable, unallocated obfs4 bridges for manual distribution
        * Moved forward with our next default bridge at Karlstad University (#31164)
            * Revised default bridge requirements in our wiki
            * Interacted with potential new default bridge operators after Roger contacted professors about it
        * Wrote monthly anti-censorship team report
        * Wrote a BridgeDB patch to remove frontdesk at tp.o email (#28533)
  Next week:
        * Expose BridgeDB metrics for Tor Metrics (#19332)
        * Send a batch of private obfs4 bridges to NGO for manual distribution
  Help with:
        * Review https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/28533

Gaba: (updated September 5th)
   Last week ():
            *
    This week (planned):
            *

ahf
    Last week:
        - Worked on #28930
    This week:
        - Finished refactoring parts of #28930. Trying to figure out if we should begin the discussion on how PT's can report back on bootstrap info.
        - Continued to work on a tool to convert Trac tickets into Gitlab tickets.

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2019-09-05
Last week (holiday on Monday):
    - spent some time debugging snowflake broker issues (#31425)
    - debugged pion/webrtc problems (#28942)
    - looked at gettor status report from hiro
    - read phw's work on sharknado
This week:
    - make a patch for the proxy---broker communication (#29207)
    - get fixes upstreamed to pion/webrtc (#28942)
    - snowflake dogfood
    - continue work on sequencing layer (#29206)
    - revisit snowflake reachability scripts, check status of tests, and enhance (#30368)
    - review of gettor metrics work (https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/gettor/issues/10)
    - review #28533
Help with:
    - review of progress on sequencing layer (#29206)
    - the snowflake broker machine is acting up and i don't think it's related to the broker software (#31425)

catalyst:
    week of 08/22 (planned):
        - reorienting after leave
        - mostly sponsor31 stuff
    week of 08/22 (actual):
        - mostly sponsor31 stuff
    week of 08/29 (planned):
        - mostly sponsor31 stuff (control protocol refactoring that will hopefully lead to better bootstrap reporting)

arlolra: 2019-08-29
    Last week:
        - merged #30310
        - helped with some review
    Next week:
        - add a build step / documentation for code reuse in cupcake
        - make an attempt at #31391
    Help with:
        -

dcf: 2019-09-05
    Last week:
        - with cohosh, worked on the pion-webrtc build of Tor Browser, got a working windows build for the first time (#28942)
        - Turbo Tunnel prototyping
        - Metrics Timeline maintenance
    Next week:
        - review Snowflake sequencing layer (#29206)
        - archive test pion builds from (#28942)
        - Turbo Tunnel prototyping
    Help with:
        - redeploy meek-azure bridge for Go net/http DoS vulnerability (#31455)
          - needs attention from inf0 at Team Cymru (dcf has sent email)