[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 24 Oct 2019

Cecylia Bocovich cohosh at torproject.org
Thu Oct 31 17:25:18 UTC 2019

           @@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@
            @@@@@@@@  @@ @@ @@ @@ @@ @@ @@ @  @@@@@@@@
              @@@@@@@                         @@@@@@@
                @@@@@@  @@ @@ @@ @@ @@ @@ @ @@@@@@
                  @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
                    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
                      @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Next meeting: Thursday October 31th 17:00 UTC

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 17:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress).

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.

== Links to Useful documents ==

    Our anti-censorship roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/roadmap/boards

    Our roadmap consists of a subset of trac tickets.

    The anti-censorship team's wiki page: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/AntiCensorshipTeam

    GetTor's roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/groups/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/-/boards

    Tickets that need reviews: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=%5eCircumvention&col=id&col=summary&col=component&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=reviewer&order=priority

    Projects from sponsors we are working on:

    https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/Sponsor30

    https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/Sponsor28

---------------------------
---   31st October 2019 ---
---------------------------

== Announcements ==

    None this week

== Discussion ==

    Snowflake upgrade for #29207 will exclude old, unupdated proxies

    Is this a good thing?

    Anything we should be aware of before proceeding?

    Gettor update

    survival guide here: https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/gettor/wikis/home

    any update to the roadmap? https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/roadmap/-/boards

== Updates ==
FORMAT!

Name:
    This week:
        - What you worked on this week.
    Next week:
        - What you are planning to work on next week (related to anti-censorship work).
    Help with:

         - Something you may need help with.

Hiro:
    Started restoring Twitter Responder.

        When retrieving tweets I need to check for new tweets only otherwise Gettor will end up responding to old back log and already answered messages. <-- is this #27330 ?

    Next Week:
      - Work on gettor specs <-- Is this #3781?
      - More with review of strings and website content and translation

phw:
  This week (2019-10-31):

  Next week:

    Travel to Taiwan

    Wrap up #32135, #32105, and #31874

  Help with:

Gaba: (updated October 30th)
   Last week ():

    mozfest

    This week (planned):

    sponsors

ahf

    Last week:

    - Worked on #28930

    This week:

    - Finished refactoring parts of #28930. Trying to figure out if we should begin the discussion on how PT's can report back on bootstrap info.

    - Continued to work on a tool to convert Trac tickets into Gitlab tickets.

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2019-10-31
Last week:
    - revised #29207 and added support for browser proxies
    - made progress on snowflake server unit tests (#32300)
    - merged fix to remove timeoutConn (#32131)
    - merged longer poll (#32129) and updated translations for webextensions
    - bridgedb reviews
    - made more progress on #29206 and started working on a way to split traffic through multiple proxies (#25723)
    - Re-read salmon and rBridge papers, more grant writing
    - merged #31310 and now one browser proxy can handle multiple clients (#25601)
This week:
    - continue on tests (#29259)
    - upgrade broker and proxies and check if bumping old proxies fixes network health
    - more work on #29206 and #25723
    - take a look at gettor code tickets and see if there are code quality improvements
    - more grant writing
    - have proxies report what kind they are to broker #31157 (related to #29207)
    - do a review of work so far on #31874
    - review #31028
    - gettor code reviews
Needs help with:
    - would like an ok on the upgrade plan for #29207

catalyst:
    week of 09/19 (planned):
        - reviews
        - sponsor31 planning
        - coding style discussion
        - comment on draft network team review guidelines
        - #30984
    week of 09/19 (actual):
        - reviews
        - sponsor31 planning
        - talking with people about proposed network team review processes
    week of 09/26 (planned):
        - reviews
        - sponsor31 doc coordination
        - checking in on Season of Docs work
        - #30984

arlolra: 2019-10-31

    Last week:

    - finished off / tested #31028

    Next week:

    - add a build step / documentation for code reuse in cupcake

    - read up on turbo tunnel

    - pick a new task to work on

    Help with:

    - review #31028

dcf: 2019-10-30 (will miss 2019-10-31 meeting)

    Last week:

    - helped review SetDeadline warning fixes (#32131)

    - reviewed changes to the broker protocol (#29207)

    - further review of Snowflake sequencing protocol (#29207)

    - archived Snowflake WebExtension 0.0.13

    Next week:

    - prototyping KCP and QUIC in meek

    - revise link to Cupcake patch (#31497)

    - review Gorilla WebSocket patch (#31028)

    Help with:

    - need meek-azure to redeploy meek-server for #31890