[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 24 Oct 2019
phw at torproject.org
Thu Oct 24 21:18:35 UTC 2019
Here are our meeting notes:
And here is our meeting pad:
Anti-censorship work meeting pad
Next meeting: Thursday October 24th 17:00 UTC
Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 17:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress).
== Goal of this meeting ==
Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.
== Links to Useful documents ==
* Our anti-censorship roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/roadmap/boards
* Our roadmap consists of a subset of trac tickets.
* The anti-censorship team's wiki page: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/AntiCensorshipTeam
* GetTor's roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/groups/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/-/boards
* Tickets that need reviews: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=%5eCircumvention&col=id&col=summary&col=component&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=reviewer&order=priority
* Projects from sponsors we are working on:
--- 24th October 2019 ---
== Announcements ==
== Discussion ==
* Gettor roadmap and workflow (gaba reorganized the roadmap - let's discuss it)
* Should we scrap current work in #29206 and go with turbo tunnel?
* https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/32135 (BridgeDB metrics parser) -- what else do we want to learn?
== Actions ==
== Interesting links ==
== Updates ==
- What you worked on this week.
- What you are planning to work on next week (related to anti-censorship work).
- Something you may need help with.
Started restoring Twitter Responder.
When retrieving tweets I need to check for new tweets only otherwise Gettor will end up responding to old back log and already answered messages.
- Work on gettor specs
- More with review of strings and website content and translation
This week (2019-10-24):
* Fixed https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/32134 (request new BridgeDB translation and update i18n instructions)
* Determined another winner for our bridge campaign because one of our original ones did not respond
* Reviewed bridge setup guides for NetBSD and DragonflyBSD
* Implemented prototype of https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/31874 (bridge test tool)
* Took a look at the x-forwarded-for header of moat requests in BridgeDB
* X-Forwarded-Host: ['bridges.torproject.org']
* X-Forwarded-For: ['127.0.0.1']
* There's no "Moat-IP" header
* Implemented a BridgeDB metrics parser and created visualisations https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/32135
* Updated monitoring tools after getulum was replaced by gettor-01
* Created YAML file for private bridges. Seems like a decent file format for this purpose.
* Ran RIPE Atlas measurement for meek-azure in Venezuela because some users said it doesn't work:
* No obvious signs of censorship. Maybe just slow?
* Filed and fixed https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/32203
* Added another patch for https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/32105
* Documents BridgeDB's ~/.procmailrc in the bridgedb-admin repository
* Started working on BridgeDB's broken email localisation: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/15404
* Roadmap cleanup
* Travel to Taiwan
* Wrap up #32135, #32105, and #31874
* https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/32105 (small addition to bridgedb-admin)
* https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/31874 (review of work-in-progress bridge testing service)
Gaba: (updated October 18th)
Last week ():
* gettor & s30
This week (planned):
- Worked on #28930
- Finished refactoring parts of #28930. Trying to figure out if we should begin the discussion on how PT's can report back on bootstrap info.
- Continued to work on a tool to convert Trac tickets into Gitlab tickets.
cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2019-10-24
- BridgeDB reviews: #32105, #32134
- refactored proxy-pair state machine (#31310)
- made a lot of revisions to snowflake sequencing layer (#29206)
- got caught up on Turbo Tunnel and provided some comments
- noticed we lost metrics with the broker host migration and made #32231
- grant writing
- made progress on exapnding unit tests for snowflake
- created patch for #32131
- reviewed #32129
- continue on tests (#29259)
- snowflake dogfood and think about how to address bad snowflake health
- more work on #29207 and #29206
- bridgedb reviews
- look at obfs4 improvements and provide feedback
- take a look at gettor code tickets and see if there are code quality improvements
Needs help with:
- reviews of #29206, #29207 (I'd like to move a bit faster with #29207 if possible)
- review of #31310
- review of #32131
week of 09/19 (planned):
- sponsor31 planning
- coding style discussion
- comment on draft network team review guidelines
week of 09/19 (actual):
- sponsor31 planning
- talking with people about proposed network team review processes
week of 09/26 (planned):
- sponsor31 doc coordination
- checking in on Season of Docs work
- reviewed #31497
- continue on #31028
- add a build step / documentation for code reuse in cupcake
- read up on turbo tunnel
- got the snowflake-broker.torproject.net domain name pointing at the new IPv6 broker (#29258, #32128)
- filed a ticket about excessive log output in proxy-go (#32131)
- filed a ticket to increase the Snowflake proxy poll interval (#32129)
- made a patch to link Cupcake from the Snowflake home page (#31497)
- reviewed Snowflake protocol sequencing layer (#29206)
- made branches of obfs4proxy with QUIC and KCP for session persistence https://github.com/net4people/bbs/issues/14#issuecomment-544747519
- started reviewing broker negotiation protocol changes (#29207)
- review #29207 (broker protocol for Snowflake)
- review Snowflake proxy poll interval patch (#32129)
- prototyping KCP and QUIC in meek
- need meek-azure to redeploy meek-server for #31890
More information about the tor-project