[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 24 Oct 2019

Philipp Winter phw at torproject.org
Thu Oct 24 21:18:35 UTC 2019

Here are our meeting notes:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-10-24-16.59.html

And here is our meeting pad:

Anti-censorship work meeting pad
--------------------------------

Next meeting: Thursday October 24th 17:00 UTC

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 17:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress).

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.

== Links to Useful documents ==

    * Our anti-censorship roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/roadmap/boards
        * Our roadmap consists of a subset of trac tickets.
    * The anti-censorship team's wiki page: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/AntiCensorshipTeam
    * GetTor's roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/groups/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/-/boards
    * Tickets that need reviews: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=%5eCircumvention&col=id&col=summary&col=component&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=reviewer&order=priority
    * Projects from sponsors we are working on:
        * https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/Sponsor30
        * https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/Sponsor28

---------------------------
---   24th October 2019 ---
---------------------------

== Announcements ==

    *

== Discussion ==

    * Gettor roadmap and workflow (gaba reorganized the roadmap - let's discuss it)
        * https://dip.torproject.org/groups/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/-/boards
    * Should we scrap current work in #29206 and go with turbo tunnel?
    * https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/32135 (BridgeDB metrics parser) -- what else do we want to learn?

== Actions ==

    *

== Interesting links ==

    * https://www.vpndada.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/astrill-calling-user-stupid.jpg

== Updates ==
FORMAT!

Name:
    This week:
        - What you worked on this week.
    Next week:
        - What you are planning to work on next week (related to anti-censorship work).
    Help with:
         - Something you may need help with.

Hiro:
    Started restoring Twitter Responder.
        When retrieving tweets I need to check for new tweets only otherwise Gettor will end up responding to old back log and already answered messages.
    Next Week:
      - Work on gettor specs
      - More with review of strings and website content and translation

phw:
  This week (2019-10-24):
        * Fixed https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/32134 (request new BridgeDB translation and update i18n instructions)
        * Determined another winner for our bridge campaign because one of our original ones did not respond
        * Reviewed bridge setup guides for NetBSD and DragonflyBSD
        * Implemented prototype of https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/31874 (bridge test tool)
        * Took a look at the x-forwarded-for header of moat requests in BridgeDB
            * There's no "Moat-IP" header
        * Implemented a BridgeDB metrics parser and created visualisations https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/32135
        * Updated monitoring tools after getulum was replaced by gettor-01
        * Created YAML file for private bridges. Seems like a decent file format for this purpose.
        * Ran RIPE Atlas measurement for meek-azure in Venezuela because some users said it doesn't work:
            * https://atlas.ripe.net/measurements/23107685/
            * No obvious signs of censorship. Maybe just slow?
        * Filed and fixed https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/32203
        * Added another patch for https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/32105
            * Documents BridgeDB's ~/.procmailrc in the bridgedb-admin repository
        * Started working on BridgeDB's broken email localisation: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/15404
        * Roadmap cleanup
  Next week:
        * Travel to Taiwan
        * Wrap up #32135, #32105, and #31874
  Help with:
        * https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/32105 (small addition to bridgedb-admin)
        * https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/31874 (review of work-in-progress bridge testing service)

Gaba: (updated October 18th)
   Last week ():
            * gettor & s30
    This week (planned):
            * mozfest

ahf
    Last week:
        - Worked on #28930
    This week:
        - Finished refactoring parts of #28930. Trying to figure out if we should begin the discussion on how PT's can report back on bootstrap info.
        - Continued to work on a tool to convert Trac tickets into Gitlab tickets.

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2019-10-24
Last week:
    - BridgeDB reviews: #32105, #32134
    - refactored proxy-pair state machine (#31310)
    - made a lot of revisions to snowflake sequencing layer (#29206)
    - got caught up on Turbo Tunnel and provided some comments
    - noticed we lost metrics with the broker host migration and made #32231
    - grant writing
    - made progress on exapnding unit tests for snowflake
    - created patch for #32131
    - reviewed #32129
This week:
    - continue on tests (#29259)
    - snowflake dogfood and think about how to address bad snowflake health
    - more work on #29207 and #29206
    - bridgedb reviews
    - look at obfs4 improvements and provide feedback
    - take a look at gettor code tickets and see if there are code quality improvements
Needs help with:
    - reviews of #29206, #29207 (I'd like to move a bit faster with #29207 if possible)
    - review of #31310
    - review of #32131

catalyst:
    week of 09/19 (planned):
        - reviews
        - sponsor31 planning
        - coding style discussion
        - comment on draft network team review guidelines
        - #30984
    week of 09/19 (actual):
        - reviews
        - sponsor31 planning
        - talking with people about proposed network team review processes
    week of 09/26 (planned):
        - reviews
        - sponsor31 doc coordination
        - checking in on Season of Docs work
        - #30984

arlolra: 2019-10-24
    Last week:
        - reviewed #31497
    Next week:
        - continue on #31028
        - add a build step / documentation for code reuse in cupcake
        - read up on turbo tunnel
    Help with:
        -

dcf: 2019-10-24
    Last week:
        - got the snowflake-broker.torproject.net domain name pointing at the new IPv6 broker (#29258, #32128)
        - filed a ticket about excessive log output in proxy-go (#32131)
        - filed a ticket to increase the Snowflake proxy poll interval (#32129)
        - made a patch to link Cupcake from the Snowflake home page (#31497)
        - reviewed Snowflake protocol sequencing layer (#29206)
        - made branches of obfs4proxy with QUIC and KCP for session persistence https://github.com/net4people/bbs/issues/14#issuecomment-544747519
        - started reviewing broker negotiation protocol changes (#29207)
    Next week:
        - review #29207 (broker protocol for Snowflake)
        - review Snowflake proxy poll interval patch (#32129)
        - prototyping KCP and QUIC in meek
    Help with:
        - need meek-azure to redeploy meek-server for #31890