[tor-project] Network Team Meeting Notes, 14 October 2019

Alexander Færøy ahf at torproject.org
Tue Oct 15 16:42:57 UTC 2019

Hello!

Here is a short summary of the network team meeting from Monday:

1) We started out by looking at the 0.4.2 status page on Trac to see how we are
   doing there. Things are looking OK. Nick would like to see all 042-must tickets
   done before 1st of November such that we can begin to roll out release candidates.

2) We skipped going over Kanban board since dip.torproject.org was having some
   problems.

3) We skipped going over review assignments because none had been assigned at
   the given time due to vacation and public holiday.

4) We discussed how to handle the larger GSoD changes in the future and that
   Catalyst and Nick will work together on making progress on the current ticket.

5) Alex made an announcement about the monthly tor-project reports and people
   got a pad link to update during the month, such that we can get the October
   report out earlier.

6) We shortly discussed some of the proposals that are being discussed now and
   there was some confusion around the different proposals and ownership of them.

   No changes was decided here.

7) Nobody had anything additional to discuss.

--- end of summary ---

You can read today's network team meeting log at:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-10-14-16.59.html

Below are the contents of our meeting pad:

gaba: (updated on september 30th)
    Last week (actual):
    . s30 coordination with all teams involved
    . s31
    This week (planned):
    Help with:

teor: (online first week of the month, offline at the usual meeting time)

    Week of 23 September (planned):
        Take Time for:
            - gitlab signup / config
            - team policies:
                - faster reviews
                - commit bit and roles?
            - finish add tor controller trace logging to diagnose stem hangs (#30901)
                - try nickm's suggested a simpler implementation
                - split off bugs I found while writing the control trace code
        Roadmap:
            - Sponsor 31 outstanding bugs / tasks
            - Sponsor 31 possible coding tasks for me - follow up email
        Other:
            - finish off bug smash logging bugs

    Week of 23 September (actual):
        Take Time for:
            - gitlab signup / config
            - team policies:
                - faster reviews
                - commit bit and roles
            - kept working on add tor controller trace logging to diagnose stem hangs (#30901)
                - split off bugs I found while writing the control trace code
                - did some preparation work
        Roadmap:
            - Sponsor 27
              - Add IPv6 HSv3 chutney tests to CI
            - Sponsor 31 reviews
            - Sponsor 31 modularisation: disable relay mode when compiling
              - Initial design and strategy to move forward
              - Preparation work - speed up CI
        Other:
            - Finish off bug smash logging bugs
            - Quick bug fixes x3

    Week of 30 September (planned):
        Take Time for:
            - team policy discussions
            - meetings x3
        Roadmap:
            - add tor controller trace logging to diagnose stem hangs (#30901)
                - try nickm's suggested a simpler implementation
            - Sponsor 31 modularisation: disable relay mode when compiling
              - First cut: disable DirCache, DirPort, ORPort, and sets --disable-module-dirauth
            - If I stall on coding, finish sponsor 31 documentation that's assigned to me
        Other:
            - Reviews and revisions
            - Check CI & backports

    Week of 30 September (actual):
        Urgent:
            -
        Take Time for:
            - team policy discussions
            - meetings x3
        Roadmap:
            - Sponsor 31 config refactor
              - control trace logging #30901
              - preparation work - fix conflicting bugs
              - started work
            - Sponsor 31 modularisation: disable relay mode when compiling #31851
              - Initial design and strategy to move forward
              - Preparation work - speed up CI
        Other:
            - Revisions
            - Check CI & backports
            - Quick bug fixes x2
            - tor-relays moderation

Nick:
    Week of 7 October (planned):
        - Actual 0.4.2.2-alpha release
        - Start a maint-042 branch, open master as 043
        - remaining 042-must/should issues
        - keep an eye on blog comments
        - Review and merge
        - tor-guts documentation work
        - Work on a blog post about an upcoming paper.
        - Back to 29211 (config refactoring)?
    Week of 7 October (actual):
        - Releases 0.4.2.2-alpha
        - Sent out C style survey.  (I'm hoping for feedback from network team folks, but if you want to see it,
          it's at https://people.torproject.org/~nickm/netteam-c-survey.py )
        - Worked on 042-should items:
            - Got some thoughts on #31683/#31364 (microdesc corruption) but no solution.
            - Deferring work on #31078 (config docs/renames/refactors) till I have more feedback
            - #31909 -- regression test for #31495
            - #31705 -- coccinelle-related fixups. Took much longer than I had planned.
        - Drafted sections of collaborative webpost.
        - Reviews and merges
        - Opened 0.4.3
    Week of 14 October (planned):
        - More 042-should items if they come up
        - Wrap up C survey
        - Edit collaborative webpost?
        - Review and merge
        - S31 work:
            - tor-guts documentation work
            - more config.c refactoring once #32003 is reviewed
            - possibly, help with relay modularization work.

Mike:
    Week of 10/07 (planned):
        - Finish Firefox networking review
        - Do some of Firefox Feature Review
        - Check in with Tobias re circpad perf issues and simulator plan
        - Blog post writing?
    Week of 10/07 (actual):
        - Finished Firefox networking review? Checking followups on ticket..
        - Did some analysis for the https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/31561 fix wrt Vanguards
    Week of 10/14 (planned):
        - Respond to Firefox networking review followups
        - Do some of Firefox Feature Review
        - Check in with Tobias re circpad perf issues and simulator plan
        - Blog post writing?
        - Tor blog discussions
    Need help with/at risk of dropping this month: <-- do you still need help with this?
        - Not doing any code reviews this month, unless on circpad patches. Got enough for Tor Browser
        - Deep-thought-required research project followup
          - (Google masque, BGP, ECN, Rob's bw experiments, Dennis's Mozilla video, etc etc...)
        - Relay community drive/mgmt (and related LTS herding)

catalyst:

    week of 10/07 (2019-W41) (planned):
        - reviews
        - look at policy proposals some more
        - be available for GSOD help as needed
    week of 10/07 (2019-W41) (actual):
        - reviews
        - reviwed policy proposals
        - looked at GSoD work; tried to straighten out some Asciidoc things
        - helped nickm and arma with some O_APPEND mysteries
    week of 10/14 (2019-W42) (planned):
        - reviews
        - more GSoD feedback

asn:
   Week of 02/10 (planned):
   - Bring OB hsv3 descriptor encoding closer to completion.
   - Attend s27 meeting about error passing over SOCKS vs HTTP vs control port
   - Handle remaining 042 bugfixes.
   Week of 02/10 (actual):
   - Working on hsv3 descriptor encoding (#31823)
     - Can now do blinding #31777 (also ported the tor ed25519 to python3 on the way #31912)
     - Can now do descriptor layer encryption
     - Can do the superencrypted layer
   - Stem hsv3 descriptor decoding is merged upstream (#31369)!
     - Reviewing and testing
   - Did 042 tickets assigned to me. Also reviews and merges.
   Week of 07/10 (planned):
   - Bring the hsv3 descriptor encoding branch to some browseable state so that
     I can show atagar before I leave for vacations on Friday.
   - Attend the s27 meeting about error passing which did not happen last week.
   - Check updates on #19251
   - Finalize anything else remaining before I sign off for two weeks on Friday.

ahf:
    Week of 7. October (planned):
    - S30 meeting.
    - Plan Zurich trip.
    - Get #31810 and #31091 merged.
    - Finish #31036
    - Do full migration of Trac tickets to Gitlab as an experiment.
    - S31 meeting.
    - PR policy.

    Week of 7. October (actually):
    - S30 meeting happened.
    - Booked trip to Zurich and started doing slides.
    - Requested funding to go to Freedom not Fear with Gus.
    - Fixed `_commentN` issue with Gitlab migration, tried to do a full fetch, seemed to work.
    - Wrote test for #31810 that seems to work, no clue yet for how to test #31091.
    - Managed to reproduce #31036.

    Week of 14 October (planned):
    - Gitlab migration meeting.
    - Kill todo list items: some CC, some Network Team policy stuff, an old review.
    - Resubmit #31810

dgoulet:
  Week of 02/10 (planned):
    - Go through my 042 tickets.
    - Assess s27 situation and timeline and prioritize work that need to
      happen soon.
    - Attend s27 meeting about the SOCKS error situation.
    - Bad relay world.
  Week of 02/10 (actual):
    - Network Team retrospective.
    - Went through some 042 tickets. Most were in needs_revision.
    - s27 work was bit on hold due to 042 ticket work and other work.
    - Spent time working the details and logistics for the removal of all EOL
      relays in the network (including blog post, and a whole LOT of emails).
  Week of 07/10 (planned):
    - Finish this EOL removal scheduled on Tuesday.
    - Revise my 4 remaining tickets in 042.
    - Merges/Reviews.
    - s27 meeting on October 8th about prop304 mostly.

swati (offline):
     Week of 02/10:
         - Registered and created an account for myself on trac.
         - Created a ticket https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/31943 for reviewing changes in the tor Manual.
         - Forked the tor repository and cloned the copy of the repository to my local filesystem
         - Pushed changes to the local repository and created a pull request.
         - The pull request is https://github.com/torproject/tor/pull/1391.
         - Can someone assign reviewers for this pull request? I don't seem to have write access for this repository.
             [dgoulet: for #31943, we did this morning :)]

All the best,
Alex.

--
Alexander Færøy