[tor-project] Tor Browser Team Meeting Notes, 7 October 2019

Matthew Finkel sysrqb at torproject.org
Thu Oct 10 12:05:53 UTC 2019


We held our weekly Tor Browser meeting on Monday in #tor-meeting2. Here
is the IRC log:

>From the weekly updates were quiet this week and we didn't discuss much.

>From the discussions, we are planning another Tor Browser Alpha release
the beginning of next week. After this, we discussed ticket triage and
we are still happy with the current priorities of tickets targeting 9.0a

Next, we discussed the new icon chosen for the new "New Identity"
button. We're
going with the broom! The conversation then moved onto string
localization and
making sure we freeze all new strings soon such that we give translators
time and we can release fully-localized Tor Browser 9.0.

After this, Mike Perry joined us as a surprise guest and asked some
related to the networking code audit of Firefox 68esr-based Tor Browser
doing for us (the ticket for that:

And finally, we began discussing NameCoin's Tor Browser integration
work. In
particular, there was a question about reducing the size of the NameCoin
and whether bundling a subset of Certificate Authority Root Certificates
is a
reasonable solution.

Week of October 7, 2019
    sysrqb: Next alpha release 14 October, code freeze 10 October
    sysrqb: Are the current tbb-9.0-must-alpha tickets reasonable? Are
we missing any tickets that should be included in a 9.0a? Are there any
tickets we can/should delay until 9.0 or 9.5a?
    GeKo: Are we fine with the broom icon for New Identity?
    Pili: Reminder to update tickets with "Actual Points" once the
ticket is closed

mcs and brade:
    Last week:
        - Opened #31910 (replace meek_lite with meek in circuit
        - Closed #31019 (Investigate update on Windows via BITS).
        - Fixed #31935 (TB9.0a7 is asking for a new profile).
        - Opened and fixed #31955 (macOS: avoid throwing inside
        - Published patches for #31607 (App menu items stop working).
            - We are still hoping to receive feedback from Mozilla
        - Started to look at #31768 (Introduce Tor network settings and
other updates in TB9 onboarding).
        - Tested 9.0a7 candidate builds on macOS 10.15 beta 8.
        - Attended the ESR migration meeting.
        - Did a little thinking about onion service errors vs. SOCKS
optimistic data.

    This week:
        - #31768 (Introduce Tor network settings and other updates in
TB9 onboarding).
        - #31910 (replace meek_lite with meek in circuit display).
        - #31607 (App menu items stop working).
        - Sponsor 27 meeting r.e. onion service errors vs. SOCKS
optimistic data.
        - Open a Firefox bug for #31547 (Back out or modify patches for
Mozilla's bug 1574980).
        - Create ticket for

    Last week:
        - Helped publish the new alpha
        - Made patches for:
            - #31293 (tor-android-service gradle failure when probing
network interfaces)
            - #31926 (Add Android x86_64 to the alpha download page)
            - #31911 (Add information about monitoring disk space for
        - Updated patch for #31564 (Android bundles based on ESR 68 are
not built reproducibly anymore)
        - Worked on #25099 (Update nightly version number)
        - Reviewed #31550 (Fix shellcheck (and related) issues in
        - Started reviewing #29013 (Provide stack smashing protection
for mingw-clang builds)
        - Looked at the new alpha users update pings graph (#31755)
    This week:
        - Finish reviewing #29013 (Provide stack smashing protection for
mingw-clang builds)
        - Look at fpcentral issues after buster upgrade
        - Try to fix #31987 (Make fpcentral recognize Tor Browser esr68)
        - Try to fix #31986 (Update fpcentral dependencies)
        - Review #30334 (build_go_lib for executables)
        - Work on #18867 (Ship auto-updates for Tor Browser nightly
channel) and sub-tickets
        - Help building new alpha

    Last week:
        - test builds! (
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/31286#comment:26 )
        - Tor log viewer in about:preferences#tor
        - lots of code cleanup, refactoring and general TODO completions
    This week:
        - finish resolving acat's patch feedback, finish TODO list and
get a final patch candidate up       

Jeremy Rand:
    Last week:
        - Electrum-NMC binary size optimizations:
            - Forward-ported all Electrum-NMC binary size optimizations
from demo branch to 3.3.8 branch.
            - Removed Python protobuf package.  (Only was needed for
Payment Protocol, which isn't a thing for Tor Browser's use case.)
            - Optimized Python certifi package to only include root CA's
from top 10 intermediate CA's in the Alexa Top 1 Million.

                - Kudos to Ryan Castellucci for the idea.

    - 12.7 KiB instead of 275.5 KiB (uncompressed .pem file).

    - Added support for the above optimizations in tor-browser-build.

        - ncprop279 binary size optimizations:

    - Added build tags to ncdns that disable TLSA-related code.  (Not
needed for Tor Browser's current use case.)

    - Decreases size of ncprop279 binary (without rbm, uncompressed, no
symbol stripping) by 0.7 MiB.

    - Added support for the above optimizations in tor-browser-build.

    This week:
        - Forward-port parallelized blockchain download from demo branch
to 3.3.8 branch; make it play well with rbm build environment.
        - Address Nick's feedback on #19859.
        - Maybe make some progress on stream isolation in ncprop279 and

    Last week:
        Updated tickets with points
        Added tbb-no-uplift onto a few older tickets, so torpat.ch is
more colorful
        Started working on squashing and reordering some Android patches
within the set of desktop patches (#31918)
        Spent some time on OTF proposal
    This week:
        Finish #31918
        Test some branches: #31010, #31822, tor-browser-build patches
        More reviews 
 - Finished and landed the allow-wasm-for-extensions patch:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1576254 \o/
   - Will work on esr68 backport this week; but I think it will be one
that Tor carries locally and we don't land in esr68
 - Got to the bottom of the cppunittest failures on esr68 mingw builds!
   - Will try to land tests in that branch this week.
 - Have been working on a few mingw cleanup bugs. Most have no reason to
backport. But at least one does:
     -  https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1585351 <- Due to
library maintenance reasons we won't backport this; but Tor should.
    Last week:
        -Worked on features review (#31591, #31597)
          -investigated some issues (#31985, #31954)
        -wrote small patches for #31822, #31811
        -reviews (#27511, #31911, #31914, #31955, #30643, #31935,
#19417, #31981, #31979, #31568, #31747
        -investigated bug in ar locale (#31929)
        -had a ton of fun with #31980
        -helped with OTF proposal
    This week:
        -Finishing #31591
        -More work on #31597
        -re-enabling language packs signature checks where possible
        -release prep for 9.0a8
        -OTF proposal review

    Last week:
        - Finish fixing Localization issues: #31747 (old onboarding
        - #30463: Make sure telemetry reporting is disabled in Tor
Browser 9
        - #19417: asm.js files should be no linkability risk
        - Finish fixing .onion security expectations patch for android
(#30429, #31010)
        - #27511: Add New identity button to toolbar
        - Review #31286.
    This week:
        - Finish #31778: Support default dark-theme for the Circuit
Display UI.
        - #13543: HTML5 media support may lead to fingerprinting
        - #31602: Remove Pocket indicators in UI and disable it by
        - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1581537

    Last week:
        - OTF Browser Proposal
        - Roadmapping for October
        - FOSDEM20 organisation
    This week:
        - Totalling up September points (~40 team points for the month),

            - hoping to get some more clarity on team capacity by going
through a few more month cycles 

        - More OTF Browser Proposal
        - Tor Browser release meeting this week
        - S27 "extraordinary" meeting this week
        - FOSDEM20 organisation

            - submitted for a stand today

       - planning  to submit a main track talk this week

   Last Week:
   - 31979/30460:  TOPL dependency list (regenerated with latest how to
doc). I believe this should be resolved regarding the artifact counts.
Also verified tor-android-service and tor-onion-proxy-library deps
   - 31981: remove deprecated patch from tor-android-service
   - 31568: Updated gradle how to
   -  31130: Worked on buster upgrade (in progress)
   This week:
   - Finish buster upgrade
   - 30665 - look into clang issue
     - #27511 - New Identity button, done \o/

    - #31286 - Net Settings, almost done!

    - #31768 - TB9 Onboarding, Dunqan worked on the fist version, i
worked with steph on the content, i'll iterate today/tomorrow based on
recent comments

    - #31778 - Support for the dark theme, status? (Seems acat is
picking that up, GeKo) (cool, thanks! -A)

    - S27: Worked on #19251 - Better onion errors in clients. Any
comment is appreciated, no hurries.

Have a good week,

More information about the tor-project mailing list