[tor-project] September 2019 report for the UX team

Antonela Debiasi tor at antonela.me
Wed Oct 9 16:11:48 UTC 2019

Hi Tor,

S9 - Tor Browser
================

During September, we worked on having Tor Browser 9 improvements ready
for handing off to developers. Those were:

- New identity
Historically, the New Identity feature has been placed under the Tor
Button doorhanger menu. Since the Tor Button is going to be removed from
the toolbar, we needed a new icon to expose this critical feature to
users. We talked with users[0], explored some ideas[1], and defined the
icon which is going to reach stable[2].
[0] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/28800#comment:8
[1] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/27511#comment:17
[2]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/attachment/ticket/27511/27511-1.png

- Network Settings
We moved Net Settings to the familiar place for end-users to find
Settings: about: preferences. Since TB9, we'll have a new settings
section called Tor Network so users can configure bridges and local
settings following the default pattern.
It is a first step in improving the path of connecting to Tor for users
with circumvention needs.

- TB9 Onboarding
Duncan designed the best way to expose the above critical changes to users.

Last but not least, Orfox sunsetted. We joined the Guardian Project
folks on designing, localizing, and deploying the latest Orfox release,
which offered a path for users to download Tor Browser for Android.

S9 - User Research
==================

Nah, Isabela, and I met at the NYU's Tor offices to document the work we
have been doing and for creating user research guides for community
researchers. When it is ready, this content will be available in
community.torproject.org.
https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/ux/research/tree/master/community

Nah worked on moving the content from the UX team wiki to the User
Research portal. This section will host documentation about our
processes, our current user research activities, and user research
reporting.
https://lektor-staging.torproject.org/community/develop/user-research/

Also, we compiled a list of the frequency asked questions from our
2018/2019 groups. We are working on having them merged into the
community portal.
https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/web/community/issues?label_name%5B%5D=Training

S9 - tpo.org
============

We joined the community team's Docshackaton. A lot of new and old
friends jumped to help us with tpo.org, support.tpo.org, manual.tpo.org,
and community.tpo.org. We took this time to work in layout and frontend
related issues. Some highlights:

- The shared Donate button at our headers is now pointing to the
localized donate.torproject.org
https://dip.torproject.org/web/tpo/issues/14

- The support portal has a lot of new content, but the layout didn't
contemplate a massive list of items. We iterated it, and now each
section has just its list of actual questions making it easier for
https://dip.torproject.org/web/support/issues/32

L10N
====

emmapeel wrote a blogpost to honor translators in their day. Thanks l10n
community for working with us on delivering Tor Browser in 28 languages!
https://blog.torproject.org/honoring-translators

In the commitment to keeping a healthy and engaged community of
translators, emmapeel started a round of love spreading with translators
and sent them Tor t-shirts and stickers, worked on having better
internal l10n documentation and thought about successful ways of sharing
best practices between translators.

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/translation

OONI Explorer
=============

Finally, OONI Explorer got released! We collaborated with OONI on this
significant redesign, supported this huge overhaul since the beginning,
through the development process, and during the launch. Congrats OONI
for this release!

https://explorer.ooni.torproject.org/

We also gave design support for OONI Probe related issues:
https://github.com/ooni/probe/issues/870
https://github.com/ooni/probe/issues/826
https://github.com/ooni/probe/issues/881

Fundraising
===========

We worked in a joint proposal with Guardian Project and Tails folks to
continue our work on running community training and user research during
2020/2021

Alon and I are working on the end of the year campaign. Fundraising
wants to go with a cyberpunk/90's internet theme this year. We couldn't
be more excited! Stay Tuned!

Open Team
=========

The UX Team roadmap kanban breaths here:
https://dip.torproject.org/groups/torproject/ux/-/boards

If you missed those, September weekly meetings notes are here:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/ux/2019-September/000463.html
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/ux/2019-September/000462.html
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/ux/2019-September/000461.html

Peace and love,