[tor-project] Network Team Meeting Notes, 2 October 2019

Alexander Færøy ahf at torproject.org
Thu Oct 3 21:36:31 UTC 2019

Hello,

Here is a short summary of the network team meeting from yesterday:

1) We went over our Kanban board to ensure that it is up-to-date. We forgot to
   look at weekly review distribution.

2) We looked at 0.4.2 ticket status. It looks like most people are
   currently focused on 0.4.2 tickets. We should ensure in the future that we
   have space in our schedule for doing release tickets around the time of feature
   freeze.

   Some tickets were distributed around amongst the team members.

   Priority should be on the 042-must tickets for now. Once all 042-must
   tickets are done, Nick said he is happy to open up for the 043 merge
   window ahead of schedule.

3) During the network team retrospective meeting that happened Tuesday,
   the team agreed to move forward with a subset of the PR policy that have
   recently been discussed at some of the network team meetings.

   Alex is doing the work to turn this into a policy we can vote on.

4) Nick asked some questions about an upcoming poll about C coding style
   in tor.git. The poll is going to be sent out to the team soon.

5) We discussed the currently active proposal discussions that are happening
   on the internal network-team mailing list:

   The policies discussed:

   1. "Opting-in to faster reviews and merges".
   2. "Commit Bits For CI And Review Roles".
   3. "Draft merge policy for discussion and vote".

   The discussion on these items will continue on the network-team
   mailing list and during upcoming meetings.

6) Alex asked a question on what we should do with these policies that
   we are now discussing in terms of announcing them to the rest of the
   organisation since a lot of the debate around them is happening on the
   internal network team mailing list.

   We decided that Alex puts these items onto the pad we are going to use for doing
   monthly network team reports to tor-project at lists.torproject.org.

7) Nobody had anything else to talk about so the meeting was over.

Please remember that our next meeting is on Monday the 7th of October at
17:00 UTC.

--- end of summary ---

You can read today's network team meeting log at:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-10-02-22.59.html

Below are the contents of our meeting pad:

gaba: (updated on september 30th)

    Last week (actual):
    . s30
    . s31
    . 1:1:1s
    . get up to date with trac tickets

    This week (planned):
    . s30 coordination with all teams involved
    . roadmap update (bring october tickets)

    Help with:

teor: (online first week of the month, offline at the usual meeting time)

    Week of 23 September (planned):
        Take Time for:
            - gitlab signup / config
            - team policies:
                - faster reviews
                - commit bit and roles?
            - finish add tor controller trace logging to diagnose stem hangs (#30901)
                - try nickm's suggested a simpler implementation
                - split off bugs I found while writing the control trace code
        Roadmap:
            - Sponsor 31 outstanding bugs / tasks
            - Sponsor 31 possible coding tasks for me - follow up email
        Other:
            - finish off bug smash logging bugs

    Week of 23 September (actual):
        Take Time for:
            - gitlab signup / config
            - team policies:
                - faster reviews
                - commit bit and roles
            - kept working on add tor controller trace logging to diagnose stem hangs (#30901)
                - split off bugs I found while writing the control trace code
                - did some preparation work
        Roadmap:
            - Sponsor 27
              - Add IPv6 HSv3 chutney tests to CI
            - Sponsor 31 reviews
            - Sponsor 31 modularisation: disable relay mode when compiling
              - Initial design and strategy to move forward
              - Preparation work - speed up CI
        Other:
            - Finish off bug smash logging bugs
            - Quick bug fixes x3

    Week of 30 September (planned):
        Take Time for:
            - team policy discussions
            - meetings x3
        Roadmap:
            - add tor controller trace logging to diagnose stem hangs (#30901)
                - try nickm's suggested a simpler implementation
            - Sponsor 31 modularisation: disable relay mode when compiling
              - First cut: disable DirCache, DirPort, ORPort, and sets --disable-module-dirauth
            - If I stall on coding, finish sponsor 31 documentation that's assigned to me
        Other:
            - Reviews and revisions
            - Check CI & backports

    Week of 30 September (actual):
        Urgent:
            -
        Take Time for:
            - team policy discussions
            - meetings x3
        Roadmap:
            - Sponsor 31 config refactor
              - control trace logging #30901
              - preparation work - fix conflicting bugs
              - started work
            - Sponsor 31 modularisation: disable relay mode when compiling #31851
              - Initial design and strategy to move forward
              - Preparation work - speed up CI
        Other:
            - Revisions
            - Check CI & backports
            - Quick bug fixes x2
            - tor-relays moderation

Nick:
    Week of 23 September (planned):
        - Keep an eye on blog comments
        - Finish edding circuit-padding document
        - Start a C style poll for the team
        - Meet about sponsor 31 on tuesday
        - attend ED tea time later Monday
        - Respond if needed to expected reviews on paper with Ian and Chelsea
        - Work on 042-must/should items
        - Review and merge
    Week of 23 September (actual):
        - Response to review feedback on paper with Ian and Chelsea
        - Handle blog spam on Tor posts
        - Reviews and merges
        - Sponsor-31 meeting
        - 31372: use "make -k" on CI
        - 31759: Improve "annotate_ifdef_directives"
        - 31849: move tor-guts into tor.
    Week of 30 September (planned):
        - One more PETS review.
        - Work on 042-must/should items
        - Start on another alpha, if all the -must items are done?
        - Kick off a C style poll
        - More review and feedback on pending refactoring
        - Review and merge stuff
        - Finish circuit-padding editing

Mike:
    Week of 9/23 (planned):
        - Research discussion
        - Work with Nick to clean up final XXX's in circpad doc and merge/cite the quickstart guide
        - Cloudflare bot fight?
        - Maybe have time to start on Firefox review? <-- gaba: please or let pili know that you can't do it this week -->
    Week of 9/23 (actual):
        - Research discussion + emails
        - Wrapped up circpad doc (for now)
        - Wrote plan for circpad simulator (https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/31788#comment:2)
        - Attempted #31653; ran into unit test issues and also libevent perf issues
        - Started Firefox networking review (probably 75% done)
    Week of 10/02 (planned):
        - Finish Firefox networking review
        - Check in with Tobias re circpad perf issues and simulator plan
        - Perhaps update circpad doc with perf notes
    Need help with/at risk of dropping this month: <-- do you still need help with this?
        - Not doing any code reviews this month, unless on circpad patches. Got enough for Tor Browser
        - Deep-thought-required research project followup
          - (Google masque, BGP, ECN, Rob's bw experiments, Dennis's Mozilla video, etc etc...)
        - Relay community drive/mgmt (and related LTS herding)

catalyst:

    week of 09/23 (2019-W39) (planned):
        - reviews
        - provide feedback about C style
        - more feedback to review guidelines thread as needed
        - more feedback re gitlab migration as needed
        - check in with swati on Summer of Docs project
        - #30984
    week of 09/23 (2019-W39) (actual):
        - reviews
        - chatted with some people re PR review guidelines
        - reviewed some policy proposals
        - wrote some feedback about C style
    week of 09/30 (2019-W40) (planned):
        - reviews
        - #30984
        - review policy proposals

asn:
   Week of 23/09 (planned):
   - Figure out how to do key blinding in onionbalance.
   - Forward progress in #31369 now that atagar has given me feedback
   Week of 23/09 (actual):
   - Significant progress on OB key blinding (#31777).
   - Continue work on stem descriptor encoding (#31823).
   - Started thread to discuss onion service errors and how they should be
     handled:
        https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2019-September/014046.html
   - Wrote documentation for client auth: #28966
   Week of 02/10 (planned):
   - Bring OB hsv3 descriptor encoding closer to completion.
   - Attend s27 meeting about error passing over SOCKS vs HTTP vs control port
   - Handle remaining 042 bugfixes.

ahf:

    Week of 23rd of September (planned):
    - Do first round of 1:1:1 with Gaba and other people on the team.
    - Work on #31810
    - Continue to work on #28930
    - Friday is Gitlab day where I will continue with the migration project.
    Week of 23rd of September (actually):
    - Did first rounds of 1:1:1 with Gaba.
    - Productive Gitlab meeting with people from different teams.
    - Proposed patches for #31091 and #31810
    Week of 30. September (planned):
    - Finish 0.4.2 tickets
    - Get back to S29 tickets
    - Work on migration scripts for Gitlab transition.
    - Take the good parts of our PR policy discussion and turn into a
      policy.
    - Network team retrospective.

dgoulet (offline):
  Week of 02/10 (planned):
    - Go through my 042 tickets.
    - Assess s27 situation and timeline and prioritize work that need to
      happen soon.
    - Attend s27 meeting about the SOCKS error situation.
    - Bad relay world.

swati (offline):
     Week of 02/10:
         - Registered and created an account for myself on trac.
         - Created a ticket https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/31943 for reviewing changes in the tor Manual.
         - Forked the tor repository and cloned the copy of the repository to my local filesystem
         - Pushed changes to the local repository and created a pull request.
         - The pull request is https://github.com/torproject/tor/pull/1391.
         - Can someone assign reviewers for this pull request? I don't seem to have write access for this repository.

All the best,
Alex.

--
Alexander Færøy