[tor-project] October 2019 report for the UX team

Antonela Debiasi tor at antonela.me
Fri Nov 22 17:39:19 UTC 2019

Hello Tor,

Tor Browser 9.0 Release

=======================

We released Tor Browser 9 in October. We worked in improvements around
the New Identity feature, opened a panel in about:preferences#Tor to
configure the Tor Network, updated the toolbar by removing the Tor icon
as part of the proposal 101, and also we started to give support to the
dark theme for darkness fans.

If you have any feedback, feel welcome to start a conversation on the ux
team list.

https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-90

https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor-browser-spec.git/tree/proposals/101-security-controls-redesign.txt

User Research

=============

The community team has been working on having community.torproject.org
in shape, and so we did with our open research methodologies. Nah
updated the user research guidelines and listed our past efforts to make
them available for the broad community. We also included the latest
versions of the Tor Personas made by Duncan.

https://community.torproject.org/user-research

We worked on improving the New Identity feature in Tor Browser 9, for so
we also collected feedback about it. Nah ran user research with students
at the University of Sao Paulo, and we have a lot of great material to
discuss for the next iteration.

https://nc.riseup.net/s/CkfH4nxrkmGL58K?path=%2FUser%20Research%2F2019%2FBrasil%20New%20Identity

<https://nc.riseup.net/s/CkfH4nxrkmGL58K?path=%2FUser%20Research%2F2019%2FBrasil%20New%20Identity>

Onion Services

==============

As part of the OTF grant, one of the end-users improvements is focused
on client-side onion service errors. With the network team, we have been
listing the different error scenarios users could experience while
reaching onion services. Also, we discussed how to show them to users in
a way that is 1. informative and 2. if it is available, allow them to
take a recovery path.

You can see some UI explorations here:

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/19251#comment:6

Fundraising

===========

The Fundraising team launched the end of the year raising funds campaign
during October. The topic this year is "Take back the internet." We
worked on developing the art concept, Alon worked on the illustrations,
and I delivered the different assets to support this campaign.

https://marvelapp.com/7f6eha5/screen/62492102

Open Team

=========

The UX Team roadmap kanban breathes here:

https://dip.torproject.org/groups/torproject/ux/-/boards

If you missed those, October weekly meetings notes are here:

https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/ux/2019-October/000464.html
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/ux/2019-October/000465.html
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/ux/2019-October/000466.html
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/ux/2019-October/000467.html